Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is SeagullsPlayer owned directly by the club ???

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London

My SeagullsPlayer yearly subscription is up for renewal and I wondered if it is owned directly by the club? It is arguably quite expensive for the patchy service it provides; but if the club gets 100% of my subscription the price is easier to swallow...as I know it is directly supporting the clubs finances. :bhasign:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

My SeagullsPlayer yearly subscription is up for renewal and I wondered if it is owned directly by the club? It is arguably quite expensive for the patchy service it provides; but if the club gets 100% of my subscription the price is easier to swallow...as I know it is directly supporting the clubs finances. :bhasign:

no.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The club get something (proportional to subscribers) but don't own the rights. The club said last year or the year before that they and a number of other clubs were very unhappy with the service provided as so many subscribers were paying for a service that was not fit for purpose. Then the fl collectively renewed the contract. I think that's a kick in the teeth for the fans. I won't resubscribe unless they change the company, anyone who knew anything about the internet would realise from simply glancing at the club web templates, that they are completely useless.

This with a few bells attached

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The club get something (proportional to subscribers) but don't own the rights. The club said last year or the year before that they and a number of other clubs were very unhappy with the service provided as so many subscribers were paying for a service that was not fit for purpose. Then the fl collectively renewed the contract. I think that's a kick in the teeth for the fans. I won't resubscribe unless they change the company, anyone who knew anything about the internet would realise from simply glancing at the club web templates, that they are completely useless.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've never heard Paul Barber with a good word to say about it. But the club are tied into the contract. It's the reason I'm reluctant to sign up.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you need it only for the live commentary on the web there are other ways. I have an expensive Slingbox hooked up to my Sky box that means I can watch Sky anywhere in the world. By hooking it up to my FM radio I can hear BBC Sussex. Must be a cheaper, easier option for Radio somehow.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you need it only for the live commentary on the web there are other ways. I have an expensive Slingbox hooked up to my Sky box that means I can watch Sky anywhere in the world. By hooking it up to my FM radio I can hear BBC Sussex. Must be a cheaper, easier option for Radio somehow.

Slingbox discontinued as far as I can see.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've never heard Paul Barber with a good word to say about it. But the club are tied into the contract. It's the reason I'm reluctant to sign up.
I'm sure that Mr Barber said they were unable to do anything until 2014 when the contract was up. Then the league gave them another 5 years.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Slingbox discontinued as far as I can see.

Nope. still available and mine is working. An ideal box would be one with a built in freeview & FM receiver (BBC Sussex not on freeview yet) plus input from a source and fully controllable externally.
UPDATE
Slingbox Pro HD @£200 has two switchable inputs plus a freeview tuner. Now all we need is BBC Sussex on freeview please.

Last edited:

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Nope. still available and mine is working. An ideal box would be one with a built in freeview & FM receiver (BBC Sussex not on freeview yet) plus input from a source and fully controllable externally.
UPDATE
Slingbox Pro HD @£200 has two switchable inputs plus a freeview tuner. Now all we need is BBC Sussex on freeview please.

Do Squeezeboxes work or do they get match coverage blocked, like the BBC Sussex website?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Do Squeezeboxes work or do they get match coverage blocked, like the BBC Sussex website?

No, I believe the squeezebox takes its feed from the web. So it will tune to BBC Sussex on the web which is not on air for matches. However you do it the source has to be an FM or DAB signal fed into a box that you can log into anywhere in the world. I use my surround sound system that has a built in FM tuner.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
It is simply toilet. I feel very sorry for those who's only choice of match coverage is Seagull Player. I had it for 2 or 3 years but never again.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I get the impression the club are trying to get everyone on their youtube channel and make money through advertising on that, meaning Seagulls Player is just an inconvenience

It is simply toilet. I feel very sorry for those who's only choice of match coverage is Seagull Player. I had it for 2 or 3 years but never again.

Speaking personally, Player is fine for me. But all I use it for is the commentary and the highlights and both have been perfectly OK for some time now, other than when someone forgot to turn it on a couple of weeks ago.

And great value for the price of a couple of tickets for the whole year.

But then I listen on a desktop or a laptop and I suspect that's where the problem lies. On a computer it's fine, it's other devices that it doesn't seem to be able to handle.

Is there anybody on here who listens on a desktop or a laptop that has problems?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
now I live in Eastbourne I can get radio Sussex, but when we lived in Wales I relied on PLAYER and to be quite honest it was shite and to be quite honest it still is by the sounds of it
lots have complained long and hard and for a while it was really OK but is now beginning to slip back to what it was a few years ago.
lets hope the club continue on the youtube with the highlights but as for the commentary there seems to not a lot those that pay can do, maybe another plea to PB might do the trick

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Speaking personally, Player is fine for me. But all I use it for is the commentary and the highlights and both have been perfectly OK for some time now, other than when someone forgot to turn it on a couple of weeks ago.

And great value for the price of a couple of tickets for the whole year.

But then I listen on a desktop or a laptop and I suspect that's where the problem lies. On a computer it's fine, it's other devices that it doesn't seem to be able to handle.

Is there anybody on here who listens on a desktop or a laptop that has problems?

Nope - fine for me too and has been for ages. The only time I had issues was when we kept losing the feed, which Paul Barber sorted out at least a year ago (when he got loads of subscribers money back).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here