Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train hauled by steam locomotive 61306 Mayflower passing through Preston Park this evening

Suprised that our usual Preston Park trainspotter hasn't announced this. What better opportunity than this for a romantic occassion than taking your loved one down there to take some photos of it with perhaps a bag of chips to share on the way home?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It gets into Brighton at 7.40 and leaves about 10 I think. Earlier the same train is now en rooute around Surrey, it gets back to Victoria and then sets off for Brighton at 6 I think.

For the nerds, 61306 is a B1 class 4-6-0 designed by Edward Thompson of the LNER. Built by British Railways after nationalisation though. It was bought by an enthusiast after withdrawal about 1967.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Suprised that our usual Preston Park trainspotter hasn't announced this. What better opportunity than this for a romantic occassion than taking your loved one down there to take some photos of it with perhaps a bag of chips to share on the way home?

And a dictionary to spell "occasion"..

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
It gets into Brighton at 7.40 and leaves about 10 I think. Earlier the same train is now en rooute around Surrey, it gets back to Victoria and then sets off for Brighton at 6 I think.

For the nerds, 61306 is a B1 class 4-6-0 designed by Edward Thompson of the LNER. Built by British Railways after nationalisation though. It was bought by an enthusiast after withdrawal about 1967.

And a dictionary so you can spell "route"...

:thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Ah! Apologies, I see it's having a little trip DFL and back this evening. Carry on.................. as you were.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Correct. 61306 wasn't called "Mayflower" whilst in British Railways service. It was just 61306. But someone who bought it thought "Mayflower" was a nice name. Girlie.

....and its in LNER green, why? It was built after nationalisation.

It should be black, with limescale runs eating into its bodywork and heavily weathered.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The Bluebell Railway has a diesel gala on the weekend of 18th/19th April, when we will be getting our usual 0-0 draw away at Wigan. A couple of Deltics (Class 55s, which used to haul trains on the East Coast Main Line before the IC125s) are scheduled to make an appearance. Proper locomotives, which didn't break down with a few raindrops, unlike these flimsy Class 377 things we have to put up with now. Give us back the old Class 33 and MK1 hauled trains we had in the rush hour on the East Grinstead line any day of the week.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Does Preston Park have barriers to the platforms?

No

61306 Mayflower is worth seeing. Reappeared on Heritage lines last year but only just returned to the mainline for the first time since 1978.

Departs Victoria 1810
Arrives Brighton 1940

I would expect it will use the turning triangle between Hove and Preston Park before it

Departs Brighton 2200

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
image.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Earlier today at Botley.

236.JPG235.JPG

Beach Hut