Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My son's Under 9s match has just been called off...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In a week when the Premier League have signed a megabucks deal that will further polarise the haves and have nots, and when Roy Hodgson will be picking an England squad woefully short of genuine world class players the lack of all-weather pitches means my son's football match has yet again been called off.

We've had one home match in 18 weeks. Games have been called off for a light dusting of snow and some overnight rain making the pitch a bit soggy, not just at our place but Hurstpierpoint, Horsham, Crawley.

Maybe if the Prem and FA bosses gave a sh1t they'd work with schools and councils to install some all-weather facilities. It's always the youngest kids that get their games called off, and at Under 9 level you can see this is exactly the age when they form their technique.

You want a decent England team? It won't happen until we start creating better facilities at grass roots level.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Summer is for friends and family to enjoy when the weather is at its best. This is purely about all-weather pitches.

Oct 25, 2003
i think (hope) the FA care about this kind of stuff...unfortunately it's the PL with the money and I'm not convinced they're fussed at all

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ironically, my son's club and Chelsea have a relationship, and he attended weekly Chelsea indoor training at Ford on Wednesday nights.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In a week when the Premier League have signed a megabucks deal that will further polarise the haves and have nots, and when Roy Hodgson will be picking an England squad woefully short of genuine world class players the lack of all-weather pitches means my son's football match has yet again been called off.

We've had one home match in 18 weeks. Games have been called off for a light dusting of snow and some overnight rain making the pitch a bit soggy, not just at our place but Hurstpierpoint, Horsham, Crawley.

Maybe if the Prem and FA bosses gave a sh1t they'd work with schools and councils to install some all-weather facilities. It's always the youngest kids that get their games called off, and at Under 9 level you can see this is exactly the age when they form their technique.

You want a decent England team? It won't happen until we start creating better facilities at grass roots level.

Shouldn't that be at artificial roots?

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Said the same thing yesterday. Kids football becomes a game of territory when pitches cut up badly. It becomes a game where battling and physical strength dominate rather than skill and technique.

No wonder we get dominated in major tournaments as we still haven't grasped the basics of ball retention.

It's nothing short of a disgrace how the money is distributed with a fair proportion going out of the game on agents fees and wages. The average Premier League wage is now £30,000 a staggering sum baring in mind all the first year professionals and reserve players.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
9 year old Kids shouldn't be playing 11 a-side football. We should take the Dutch example and push close ball skills on kids rather than the competitive side to the game of winning and losing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
8 and 9 year old kids play 7 a side, my son is almost 9 and he's never played 11 a side in his life.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
9 year old Kids shouldn't be playing 11 a-side football. We should take the Dutch example and push close ball skills on kids rather than the competitive side to the game of winning and losing.
They don't

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What age do they start playing 11 a-side now?

I used to pay for junior seagulls. We had an 11 a-side team when I was 10 years old.
U13 on a specific size pitch and goals with size 4 ball.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That's a bit better than it was. I'd still say it's too early.

What age do they start in the Netherlands?
The structure the FA insist on is much the same as any other country. Non competitive up to u11 and u 12 next year I believe where no results are published or league tables.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

It's not the same (I've just about given up hope of making the big time) but we have had 3 games since 8th - 14 weeks and I am imagining today's will be called off despite it not raining till yesterday since slightly last wed.

I saw somewhere that they are considering moving ametuar football to the summer, which makes perfect sense - weekly matches for kids of grass.

Some of our players manage under 15/16 sides and some of them have had/will have trials at clubs but they are going to be woefully out of form when they get them, some of them lose interest because of lack of games.

But from a selfish point of view I am seriously questioning if it's worth the hassle any more - it's so frustrating, which will be 10 times worse for a 15/16 year old who is told not to go out with mates as they have a game the next day only for it to be called off

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The structure the FA insist on is much the same as any other country. Non competitive up to u11 and u 12 next year I believe where no results are published or league tables.

I thought in Holland they separated the ages by every 2 years and youth academy's teams like Ajax would still play grass root level teams?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here