Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

128mph on the 30mph road through East Grinstead

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The unnamed driver was clocked by a speed camera piloting a Porsche at 128mph on the A22 London Road in the West Sussex town of East Grinstead. The single carriageway road is in many places lined with houses and shops, and has a cycle lane for some of its length.

http://road.cc/content/news/142674-britains-most-terrifying-speeding-revealed-128mph-30mph-zone

From the comments section:-

I live in East Grinstead the driver must have been travelling downhill and heading north, as that's the way the camera points the camera is smack in the middle of a residential area, and in normal circumstances you can barely reach 20 mph as there's so much traffic

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I know that bit of road, quite incredible you could reach that speed without losing control. I think they said on the news last night that they haven't found the driver responsible. Is that the old theory that if you are going fast enough the cameras don't capture number plates?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We live in a nanny state. I bet it was a speed camera that caught him - they're just money making machines. Who hasn't gone a little over the limit? Downhill you say? It's hard not to speed when going downhill.

You're just a typical cyclist, making trouble for drivers.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
The unnamed driver was clocked by a speed camera piloting a Porsche at 128mph on the A22 London Road in the West Sussex town of East Grinstead. The single carriageway road is in many places lined with houses and shops, and has a cycle lane for some of its length.

http://road.cc/content/news/142674-britains-most-terrifying-speeding-revealed-128mph-30mph-zone

From the comments section:-

I live in East Grinstead the driver must have been travelling downhill and heading north, as that's the way the camera points the camera is smack in the middle of a residential area, and in normal circumstances you can barely reach 20 mph as there's so much traffic

Same here stat got 90 up that road in my MK2 many moons ago and that turned me grey !!!!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It must have been during the middle of the night, as you're very lucky to get above 20 mph there, as the poster says. It's usually nose to tail from the lights at Imberhorne Lane right up to the Lingfield Road roundabout. Not that this condones what he did - silly idiot. I was a cab driver in East Grinstead in the mid-1990s, and it was great fun travelling southbound back into town in the evening (during the day one would cut up Heathcote Drive unless on a pick up off London Road), and watch all the drivers getting caught on the camera. In those days they were still grey, not painted yellow as they are now.

Mind you, I can understand the frustration at driving in East Grinstead making people go a bit barmy. It certainly did ones nerves no good, or probably heart either, especially when the controller was chasing you to get back for another job. I have to admit that I was no saint when I was driving professionally. The Old Bill caught me in Imberhorne Lane at 53 mph, when I was hurrying back late from a meal break. The copper who nicked me told me I was 1 mph from a ban. I was royally hacked off at the time, but it taught me a lesson I needed. Now I normally have other drivers up the back end of my car.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We live in a nanny state. I bet it was a speed camera that caught him - they're just money making machines. Who hasn't gone a little over the limit? Downhill you say? It's hard not to speed when going downhill.

You're just a typical cyclist, making trouble for drivers.
I wouldn't be surprised if just before the camera a non road tax paying cyclist had held up the poor defenceless Porsche.
The fella wasn't going to get those precision 20 seconds back any other way.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I know that bit of road, quite incredible you could reach that speed without losing control. I think they said on the news last night that they haven't found the driver responsible. Is that the old theory that if you are going fast enough the cameras don't capture number plates?

I seem to recall that you must be doing 186 mph or more to not appear twice on the grid on the road that enables the speed to be calculated. 128 mph? bl**dy lightweight!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I wouldn't be surprised if just before the camera a non road tax paying cyclist had held up the poor defenceless Porsche.
The fella wasn't going to get those precision 20 seconds back any other way.

I usually get on okay with you chaps (sharing the road, respect for other road users, etc), but I wish you wouldn't all ride several abreast between Crawley Down and Turners Hill. I will admit it gets frustrating, especially on the hill, but also if one waits for a safe gap to pass it doesn't please the drivers built up behind one. Of course that road forms a part of the London to Brighton ride, so I guess you're all in training, but that road carries an inordinate amount of traffic.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I'm sick of these Kemy threads

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I usually get on okay with you chaps (sharing the road, respect for other road users, etc), but I wish you wouldn't all ride several abreast between Crawley Down and Turners Hill. I will admit it gets frustrating, especially on the hill, but also if one waits for a safe gap to pass it doesn't please the drivers built up behind one. Of course that road forms a part of the London to Brighton ride, so I guess you're all in training, but that road carries an inordinate amount of traffic.
I don't understand why cyclists will 'happily' ride with traffic up their bums.

Sure there's times and stretches of road when we drivers can't even get past a single file rider, why would you make it worse.

I've actually taken my 'space management' to extremes just to, in a small way, give us cyclists some credibility back.

So if you find yourself held up by a fella who shouldn't EVER be wearing lyrca.
If he points to a gap in the verge, then waves you through for the moment he's 'off road'.
It might just be me, trying to do my bit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I didn't know Guy Martin lived locally ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So if you find yourself held up by a fella who shouldn't EVER be wearing lyrca.
If he points to a gap in the verge, then waves you through for the moment he's 'off road'.
It might just be me, trying to do my bit.

thankyou for doing your bit. sadly some of your compatriots think its acceptable to ride two abreast down the road. which on a busy or windy road means it can be very diffcult to pass. clearly these types to indeed like having the traffic up their arse.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
thankyou for doing your bit. sadly some of your compatriots think its acceptable to ride two abreast down the road. which on a busy or windy road means it can be very diffcult to pass. clearly these types to indeed like having the traffic up their arse.

I am rather lucky here as to whem i ride a bike around here its on tracks,canals,lanes etc however on a main road i will tuck myself into the kerb until a pothole/drain etc and then i will ride wide,what else can i do ? However a driver of many years i always remember these words from my tutor 'always on passing allow yourself SIX foot,GIVE YOURSELF AND THE RIDER A SAFE SPACE.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
These things always make me laugh, the fact that no-one died, there wasn't an accident and we wouldn't even know about it apart from the nazi camera at the side of the road, means that whoever was driving was in complete control of their car. Respect.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Are people who try to excuse this sort of thing on a wind-up?

A lifetime driving ban, several years in jail for dangerous driving and crush the car.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
These things always make me laugh, the fact that no-one died, there wasn't an accident and we wouldn't even know about it apart from the nazi camera at the side of the road, means that whoever was driving was in complete control of their car. Respect.
He/she was lucky that there wasn't something that needed avoiding.

If they want to drive at that speed, book a session at a race track.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Are people who try to excuse this sort of thing on a wind-up?

A lifetime driving ban, several years in jail for dangerous driving and crush the car.

In what way was it dangerous? Clearly no-one was in any danger (apart from the driver) as no-one knew about it until the camera was checked. I seem to remember on the local news that this incident took place at 2.30 in the morning or something, so the road was clear.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here