Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dresden 70 years on.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Germany still rule the roost in 2015 ---should have bombed more then.
By the way that's a Russian Helmet I'm wearing.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Seventy years on it is wrong of us to pass judgment. What the men on the front line and their wifes and children back home had to put up with is impossible for us to comprehend. The bombings of Dresden, Coventry, London, Plymouth and everywhere else were part of a world war.

It upsets me when interviews of the men in bomber command are shown and they get emotional. They have nothing to be ashamed of. They were a generation put in a scenrio that no man should have to be.

The Bombing of Dresden was absolutely NO war crime, just part of a war.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some have argued and with some vigour the raid was in fact a war crime with Germany two months away from defeat. Seventy years on you have to ask what was the point ? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31452693

It could be argued that because of the Dresden fire storm, it shortened the war so that it was only two months away. If we hadn't done that, the war may have dragged on a lot longer.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Seventy years on it is wrong of us to pass judgment. What the men on the front line and their wifes and children back home had to put up with is impossible for us to comprehend. The bombings of Dresden, Coventry, London, Plymouth and everywhere else were part of a world war.

It upsets me when interviews of the men in bomber command are shown and they get emotional. They have nothing to be ashamed of. They were a generation put in a scenrio that no man should have to be.

Really good post. War is a nasty, dirty, evil thing, it is easy to judge how hard to put the boot in in the modern day when all the dust has settled, but at the time all that sh1t was real.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Completely agree with this.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
PPF,my history is weak on your post,but why two was'nt one enough ? Surely the Americans must (?) have informed the Japanese government that they more nuclear weapons ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
PPF,my history is weak on your post,but why two was'nt one enough ? Surely the Americans must (?) have informed the Japanese government that they more nuclear weapons ?

The Japanese refused to surrender after Nagasaki, when asked. So we went ahead and bombed Hiroshima. Then they surrendered.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Up until Dresden and then the Nagasaki/ Hiroshima bombings, was that the Allies had bombed mainly military targets.
To try to finish the war against an enemy who refused to give in, was that we broke our own 'rules' by deliberately killing millions of civilians. It was a dreadful thing to do, but it was for the 'greater good'.

Jan 30, 2008
2nd one dropped and they surrendered ,yanks didn't fancy an all out assault on mainland Japan after the fanatical resistance on iwojima and the other islands
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Jj
Up until Dresden and then the Nagasaki/ Hiroshima bombings, was that the Allies had bombed mainly military targets.
To try to finish the war against an enemy who refused to give in, was that we broke our own 'rules' by deliberately killing millions of civilians. It was a dreadful thing to do, but it was for the 'greater good'.
Civilean genocide???
regards
DR

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Churchill described the Dresden bombing as an 'act of terrorism'. Coming from him, of all people, I guess it was controversial.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
2nd one dropped and they surrendered ,yanks didn't fancy an all out assault on mainland Japan after the fanatical resistance on iwojima and the other islands
regards
DR

maybe not,but the battle of midway was the turning point

going back to the turn of the last century the Japanese were very much top dog,Korea,China and even Russia heeling to them,what a shock it must of been to them,Burma also

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
regards
DR

Your point on the Americans not wanting to face as you say fanatical resistance is well known,just makes you wonder what were they Japanese government thinking ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your point on the Americans not wanting to face as you say fanatical resistance is well known,just makes you wonder what were they Japanese government thinking ?

It was part of the Japanese religion of Shinto. It encouraged hari kari (suicide) rather than surrender. It was considered a disgrace to surrender, which was one reason why our POW were treated so shockingly. They were considered less than humans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here