Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT Dublin

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
So, I'm heading to Dublin for 3 days with the other half in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations as to what places to visit, activities to do etc.

Any useful tips would be most welcome.

Itman-dan

Jul 19, 2011
Partner and I were in Dublin end of last year and it is a lovely city, everyone we spoke to was very friendly and welcoming. What sort of stuff are you interested in? If you can visit the Kilmainham Gaol which is an old jail, this was very impressive structure and the stories told by the guide are fascinating. If you're in the Temple Bar area there are alot of decent restruants. Our favourite which we visited twice on our trip is called CrackBird, very tasty chicken at quite reasonable prices. We are going back again in June we liked it that much.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Get the hop-on hop-off bus and get off at the guinness brewery. Sure it's touristy, but it's worth seeing and great views from the bar right at the top.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I think Dublin is brilliant, albeit expensive. It is a bit of a piss-up, but if you like that then you'll love it. First time I went was for football (Shamrock Rovers v Tottenham), so was almost impossible to get in most places if you was in a crowd of more than 3 - as there had been quite a lot of trouble during the day. Still saw enough to make me go back a further 2 times. Worth seeing is the prison, and the Guinness Factory. If Dublin are playing in the Gaelic football that day you won't be able to move in the pub as I believe they get around 60k on average at home (that might be wrong).

Definitely worth a visit, but you're looking at on average 6 euros a pint/drink. But don't think think I've been in so many atmospheric pubs as I have been in Dublin. I'll definitely be going back sooner rather than later.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Did the croke park stadium tour a few years back. would well recomend going . Amazing stadium, the third largest in Europe. Looks fairly odd with one end not built up.

The chap who gave us the tour was clearly an avid fan of GAA and very interesting.

Did the croke park stadium tour a few years back. would well recomend going . Amazing stadium, the third largest in Europe. Looks fairly odd with one end not built up.

The chap who gave us the tour was clearly an avid fan of GAA and very interesting.

Croke Park is my favourite stadium; we went to a couple of rugby internationals there while the Aviva was being built (that's even odder btw). I really like Dublin, there's so much common history too.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Definitely worth a visit, but you're looking at on average 6 euros a pint/drink.

Avoid Temple Bar and you should be able to get that well under a fiver.

Most of the standard attractions have been mentioned so far - Kilmainham Gaol (@Frutos has experience of telling them he was English during the bit about 1916, and he's still alive...) the Croke Park tour and the Skyline - tour around the roof structure, the Guinness and former Jameson factory tours. The national museums are all free with the Natural History Museum being an oddity as its pretty much still the Victorian era there.

Depending how many few weeks it is away, the football season is just about to start, games are generally (Dublin derbies excepted) unsegregated and rarely more than €15 in - http://extratime.ie/fixtures/ - Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Bohemians and St Patricks Athletic are the clubs in the city with UCD and Cabinteely further out and have tiny attendances.

If you're going to be travelling around the city at all, get a Leap card - similar to Oyster, automatically caps at a tenner a day at max for normal buses/trains/trams.

If the other half (or you) is in to shopping, Brown Thomas seems to get rave reviews although I think its an overpriced over-hyped mess that's basically just a posh Selfridges.

The main city park is about 5x the size of Hyde Park if you've any interest in that sort of thing, has the zoo and a visitor centre, sports facilities etc.

Unless you're a massive fan for whatever reason, avoid all the U2 related gubbins - you end up wandering around half-redeveloped docklands full of bankers and empty sites looking like a plank mostly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I feckin hate Dublin. Most overrated city in the world IMO. Sit in the pub all day, that's what Dublin is famous for

Agree entirely - On the world stage, it's really not a highly rated city, but as such is still massively overrated!! Took my mum for her 60th a few years back, and you called it, we ended up sitting in a pub. Fug me were we all happy to go home!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I feckin hate Dublin. Most overrated city in the world IMO. Sit in the pub all day, that's what Dublin is famous for

Admitedly I've only been once, but I agree. Maybe I went to the wrong places but it didn't seem half as good as Brighton (or many other cities) in terms of pubs, food, nightlife or architecture. All rather drab and run-down, yet expensive.

Temple Bar is like a very much smaller and more depressed version of the Lanes.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Should of gone to Waterford.

Never heard of it.

Take plenty of cash - it's pricey in the Temple bar area! Good fun though...

I will be taking plenty.

Partner and I were in Dublin end of last year and it is a lovely city, everyone we spoke to was very friendly and welcoming. What sort of stuff are you interested in? If you can visit the Kilmainham Gaol which is an old jail, this was very impressive structure and the stories told by the guide are fascinating. If you're in the Temple Bar area there are alot of decent restruants. Our favourite which we visited twice on our trip is called CrackBird, very tasty chicken at quite reasonable prices. We are going back again in June we liked it that much.

I like museums, historic places, sports venues, bars etc. my girlfriend likes art and i don't mind looking round modern art galleries (mainly to realise what constitutes art in some peoples eyes). The jail sounds good so i'll definitely check that out. As for the food, i guess i won't be spoilt for choice but if i see CrackBird i'll give it a go for sure.

Get the hop-on hop-off bus and get off at the guinness brewery. Sure it's touristy, but it's worth seeing and great views from the bar right at the top.

Girlfriend loves a hop on hop off tour so i'll be sure to do that. Also was looking at the Guinness brewery and the 360 view sold it to me.

Don't go back then.

I think Dublin is brilliant, albeit expensive. It is a bit of a piss-up, but if you like that then you'll love it. First time I went was for football (Shamrock Rovers v Tottenham), so was almost impossible to get in most places if you was in a crowd of more than 3 - as there had been quite a lot of trouble during the day. Still saw enough to make me go back a further 2 times. Worth seeing is the prison, and the Guinness Factory. If Dublin are playing in the Gaelic football that day you won't be able to move in the pub as I believe they get around 60k on average at home (that might be wrong).

Definitely worth a visit, but you're looking at on average 6 euros a pint/drink. But don't think think I've been in so many atmospheric pubs as I have been in Dublin. I'll definitely be going back sooner rather than later.

Checked and there were no games, which i was actually dissapointed about as i wanted to watch a Gaelic Football match. Even my girlfriend saw a clip on YouTube and was interested and bemused in equal proportions as to what the sport was,

I was looking into this but is it suitable for someone, my other half, who is not a sports fan of any sorts?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I went a few years back to run the marathon around it. It was good but not really Irish enough! felt like any other big city really. We had a very central hotel so everything was a walk. The guiness museum was good, amazing how they made 4 ingredients interesting. We went to a small pub near here to watch the football (liverpool v Chelsea if I remember) we hoped it would have irish charm, however it was a bit run down and we got hussled into entering the meat raffle for £5.00 each. we lost..........

wheh I got home I looked in a guide and saw that we missed out on a fair bit

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I like museums, historic places, sports venues, bars etc. my girlfriend likes art and i don't mind looking round modern art galleries (mainly to realise what constitutes art in some peoples eyes).

Modern:
http://www.hughlane.ie/ - free
http://www.imma.ie/en/index.htm - free

Not modern:
http://www.nationalgallery.ie/ - free

I was looking into this but is it suitable for someone, my other half, who is not a sports fan of any sorts?

The skyline bit is 95% about the views and the city not the sports bit.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

This. Dreary, miserable, boring city. A clear reflection of the country it is in.

I'm sure you'll have a good time though.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I've been a couple of times and wouldn't bother again as it's pretty dull and no grand architecture to speak of. Bloody expensive too.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
The Porterhouse Brewery in Temple Bar is worth a visit as is the Stags Head, close to Dublin Castle. A family friend is Professor of Celtic History at Trinity College and gave me and a few friend a guided tour, we met outside the GPO which kind of set the tone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here