Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do we go from here?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The latest Ole Vicente thread has got me thinking, seriously thinking, about where the club are heading in the next two/three seasons? I've looked, as have many doubtless, at our run in and I'm not terribly confident regarding our survival. I must stress this is not a we're going down 'angry' rant thread, but more a realistic reflection regarding our stated ambitions and apparent realities.

On the pitch we seemingly lack fight and too many of our key defenders have seen too many winters. We don't score goals either; sigh - it's a near perfect recipe for relegation.

I accept that we will continue to attempt to bring youth through our wonderful academy, yet surely this must be supplemented by experience?!? - this is the area that concerns me - we no longer seem willing to speculate on 'older' or even proven 'top level' players, to play alongside some of our talented youngsters.

I realise this has been a 'bad' season and Tony has seemingly moved to arrest the slide with regard to player recruitment, but signing L1 ready players like Leon Best (not wishing to sound harsh) et al. strikes of cash flow problems or perhaps a real reluctance to pour more money into a bottomless pit.

I don't know, I seriously don't - No question even the bad times are good, or at the very least better than they were, but I've got a sinking feeling and it's not terribly pleasant is it?!?

I guess the days of a fit Orlandi, signings like Buckley (from one of our rivals) and those moments like Vicente could provide are as dead and buried as our chances of Premier League football, or what's more - exciting and 'business end' football.

Never mind :rock:

Kosh

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Down to the lake I fear. (Someone had to...)

I think we were spoilt by that team and I used to think that at the time. They weren't always effective, but in terms of technical ability, they could always produce moments to leave any other team in the division looking foolish. The likes of Palace, Burnley & Cardiff went up ahead of us in the last couple of years, but not with teams that their fans will look back at and say 'Do you remember, when they clicked, it was sublime.' If we do build and challenge again, I am afraid it will be more prosaic and won't ever again have that feel of having to pinch yourself and ask if you were watching Brighton. The fact that it all collapsed so dramatically with the play off loss at the Amex kind of adds to the mythical feel. Even if we do get promoted in the future, I think a lot of us will look back upon the Poyet years as a period when everything felt a bit surreal and magical.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I think we were spoilt by that team and I used to think that at the time. They weren't always effective, but in terms of technical ability, they could always produce moments to leave any other team in the division looking foolish. The likes of Palace, Burnley & Cardiff went up ahead of us in the last couple of years, but not with teams that their fans will look back at and say 'Do you remember, when they clicked, it was sublime.' If we do build and challenge again, I am afraid it will be more prosaic and won't ever again have that feel of having to pinch yourself and ask if you were watching Brighton. The fact that it all collapsed so dramatically with the play off loss at the Amex kind of adds to the mythical feel. Even if we do get promoted in the future, I think a lot of us will look back upon the Poyet years as a period when everything felt a bit surreal and magical.

Yeah, that about sums it up. Magical semi-mythical moments of brilliance in a setting (post Withdean) that we could barely believe. Naturally it's a wee bit 'after the Lord Mayors...' and we're now heading in a grey and 'steady' direction. That's the trouble really - I don't want steady, I want fireworks akin to Deep Purple live at their peak! Sure they had their off nights, but when they clicked they f'ing ruled the world man. What we're left with is a folk rock troupe of yore, safe as houses, but where's the agonised wailing lead guitar, crunching Marsahll driven Hammond and the coked of his tits bassist?

All around my hat?!? F... that!

Rock and roll.

Kosh

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We're going to finish the season relatively strongly, giving Hughton the opportunity to shape his squad in the summer. We're going to go into next season for the first time in 2 years without any managerial turmoil, with a manager who knows this level inside out. He's going to form a team spirit and squad not only of challenging for the top 6, but the top 2. Not necessarily big signings, but shrewd ones, clever ones, he's going to get the right balance of youth and experience. He'll plug the weaknesses, and we'll be a different prospect next season. It's going to happen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
These things go full circle. Top of our circle was Palace semi-final 2nd leg when we blew the golden chance. It'll come round again sometime. Not for a good few years tho, we've lost too much ground. Meanwhile, Southampton are on the brink of a Champions League place and Bournemouth are poised to go up to Premier League as a championes with a hundred goals under their belts. Funny old game. Not to mention tragic.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
These things go full circle. Top of our circle was Palace semi-final 2nd leg when we blew the golden chance. It'll come round again sometime. Not for a good few years tho. Meanwhile, Southampton are on the brink of a Champions League place and Bournemouth are poised to go up to Premier League as a championes with a hundred goals under their belts. Funny old game. Not to mention tragic.

Indeed Tom, it's all too difficult to take. Bloody Palace - We so nearly did it too, oh but for the width of a post etc. Jesus I'll be harping on about 'that night of the long knives' on my deathbed.

Kosh

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

ay ay ay ay ay ay! [if nobody else is going to]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wow. This is supposed to be NSC, but there are some excellent contributions to this thread (so far at least). Can I just say there's a lot in what @ Bold Seagull says -- he's obviously named as such for a reason -- and I hope that what the Bold One says comes about, but I'm not quite as optimistic. For the moment, at least.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Still not too late to sign the 2 or 3 excellent loan signings to get the 8 wins we may need.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The latest Ole Vicente thread has got me thinking, seriously thinking, about where the club are heading in the next two/three seasons? I've looked, as have many doubtless, at our run in and I'm not terribly confident regarding our survival. I must stress this is not a we're going down 'angry' rant thread, but more a realistic reflection regarding our stated ambitions and apparent realities.

On the pitch we seemingly lack fight and too many of our key defenders have seen too many winters. We don't score goals either; sigh - it's a near perfect recipe for relegation.

I accept that we will continue to attempt to bring youth through our wonderful academy, yet surely this must be supplemented by experience?!? - this is the area that concerns me - we no longer seem willing to speculate on 'older' or even proven 'top level' players, to play alongside some of our talented youngsters.

I realise this has been a 'bad' season and Tony has seemingly moved to arrest the slide with regard to player recruitment, but signing L1 ready players like Leon Best (not wishing to sound harsh) et al. strikes of cash flow problems or perhaps a real reluctance to pour more money into a bottomless pit.

I don't know, I seriously don't - No question even the bad times are good, or at the very least better than they were, but I've got a sinking feeling and it's not terribly pleasant is it?!?

I guess the days of a fit Orlandi, signings like Buckley (from one of our rivals) and those moments like Vicente could provide are as dead and buried as our chances of Premier League football, or what's more - exciting and 'business end' football.

Never mind :rock:

Kosh

How?..

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Hmmmmm I heard somewhere, not sure when, not sure from whom? That the head of player recruitment had been sacked. What to make of this I don't quite know?!? yet I think it's perhaps fair to suggest, an attempt has been made to 'change things', and arrest our slide in terms of successful player recruitment at the very least. This and the entire scouting dept. is currently under review, with a newly appointed boss. Strange I know, but I surmise that Mr Bloom is striving to put right what has gone badly wrong.

I suspect you disagree; oh well...

Kosh

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
We're going to finish the season relatively strongly, giving Hughton the opportunity to shape his squad in the summer.

What's the basis for that assertion? The Ipswich game looked like the moment where things had started to click and we would ease away from the dreaded dotted line of doom but since then things have been largely turgid. The run in is grim and I still feel like it is a coin toss as to whether or not we stay up. That is going to have an enormous impact on what Hughton is or isn't able to do over the summer. My gut feeling is that we will stay up but by the skin of our teeth and that's not much of a foundation for pushing on next season. It will take more than one summer to rebuild this squad but hopefully Hughton will be with us a while longer to do it.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'm feeling this.

Yep, my reading of our situation remains a rather morose olde tome. Has it really come to this?

“Where now are the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the harp on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the deadwood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?”

Kosh, ahem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here