Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Claiming on car insurance

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My son's car was damaged by another while parked over night, fortunately the other person left a note admitting liability.
Is there any reason why he shouldn't go through his own insurer's and not contact the other parties insurers direct.

TIA

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I had this very experience only just before Christmas. I only contacted the other parties insurer (LV), who dealt with the whole thing in a very professional manner and I could have had my car repaired within a week (admittedly it was only a relatively minor scrape on the rear bumper). The repair was carried out to a very good standard and came with a 12 month warranty. LV did ask if I wanted to notify my own insurer, but I chose not to.

Strictly speaking I think you are supposed to notify your insurers of all incidents. Unfortunately, even if the other driver admits full liability and all the costs of the repairs are recovered by your insurer, they will still mark your records as having had an accident which may still have an impact on your renewal premium (as they may still incur some costs which they are not able to recover).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
''My first thought would be to hand over the whole job to my own insurer, provided the damage was significant and there was no risk that my future premiums would go up.''

Agreed ..but its the highlighted bit on the post below that concerns me.....My only experience with an insurer was with my van being crashed into overnight ..they guy didnt leave a note but i managed to track hm down and went directly to his insurers, but i did notify my own insurers what had happened.

I had this very experience only just before Christmas. I only contacted the other parties insurer (LV), who dealt with the whole thing in a very professional manner and I could have had my car repaired within a week (admittedly it was only a relatively minor scrape on the rear bumper). The repair was carried out to a very good standard and came with a 12 month warranty. LV did ask if I wanted to notify my own insurer, but I chose not to.

Strictly speaking I think you are supposed to notify your insurers of all incidents. Unfortunately, even if the other driver admits full liability and all the costs of the repairs are recovered by your insurer, they will still mark your records as having had an accident which may still have an impact on your renewal premium (as they may still incur some costs which they are not able to recover).

Thanks for your replies

Aug 23, 2011
I wrote my car off 12 months ago, (skidded on black ice and bashed into a bush) but no-one else involved so 100% my fault. When i renewed my premium didn't actually go up by very much and i was surprised by this.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Is it worth getting done outside the insurance ? If it's an older car they might want to write it off, leaving your son out of pocket.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
''My first thought would be to hand over the whole job to my own insurer, provided the damage was significant and there was no risk that my future premiums would go up.''

Agreed ..but its the highlighted bit on the post below that concerns me.....My only experience with an insurer was with my van being crashed into overnight ..they guy didnt leave a note but i managed to track hm down and went directly to his insurers, but i did notify my own insurers what had happened.

Thanks for your replies

The point is that it is likely a condition of your policy that you notify them of the incident so failure to do so could be seen as a breach of terms and conditions and, by the letter, they could void the policy if it subsequently came out. Would suggest you go through the TP insurers as most of the time they will want to get the vehicle repaired as soon as poss so there aren't ongoing hire car costs (they may even provide a courtesy car). Once it's done, notify your insurers.

I would stress I think it unlikely they would cancel your policy but the last thing you want is to have problems if you have serious damage to your car and need it repaired. Also, when you take out insurance, they always ask if you have ever had a policy cancelled so that can have a bearing when you try and get cover elsewhere.

Finally, don't forget insurers do share information about claims.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My son's car was damaged by another while parked over night, fortunately the other person left a note admitting liability.
Is there any reason why he shouldn't go through his own insurer's and not contact the other parties insurers direct.

TIA

As above- he could deal with the other insurer, assuming genuine details have been left of course, but there'll be a term in his own insurance policy demanding he notify them of all accidents. Not sure if they could find out without him telling them, but you never know. Then they might get a bit sniffy I guess.

Aug 23, 2011
Finally, don't forget insurers do share information about claims.

indeed, i had to jump through hoops when i renewed because although i told them about the claim, i got the date wrong and so i was flagged and had to send them all sorts of proof of who i was etc. FYI the claim date is the date of the accident/make the claim not the date its finished and you get the cheque d'oh!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

This is surely fine until you renew, when you have to declare if your vehicle has been involved in ANY accident, at which point you will become uninsurable as you didn't declare it at the time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here