Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Where in Brighton can I buy a Pressure Barrel?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Morning ****wads.

I'm new to home brewing and looking to pick up a PRESSURE BARREL today. That Easybrew place on Oxford St has shut - is there anywhere else around that does 40 pint pressure barrels?

The internet has failed me so I prostrate myself, once more, to the collective wisdom of NSC.

Cheers

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Try Maybee garden centre on the Old Shoreham Road they do home brew stuff.. Failing that there is a shop in Worthing and also the Wilkinsons in Worthing does home brew

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes Wilkos do them. I was at Specsavers in Worthing yesterday, could have picked it up for you. That's a fact not a joke.

May be worth ringing first to see it is in stock.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wilkinsons is best bet, they do a good range of basic stuff.

note if you are starting up your brew this weekend, you wont need the barrel for a few days. also, if you're doing a kit use brewers sugar or spray malt, not plain old sugar. the later will give you a distinct homebrew taste, the spray malt will give the beer some proper depth of taste.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Wilkinsons is best bet, they do a good range of basic stuff.

note if you are starting up your brew this weekend, you wont need the barrel for a few days. also, if you're doing a kit use brewers sugar or spray malt, not plain old sugar. the later will give you a distinct homebrew taste, the spray malt will give the beer some proper depth of taste.

Thanks for the tip - will try and get hold of some spray malt too.

It's been in the bucket for a few days so should be done today, though I'm going to use the hydrometer to check (once I've worked out what it's measuring and why.)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yes Wilkos do them. I was at Specsavers in Worthing yesterday, could have picked it up for you. That's a fact not a joke.

May be worth ringing first to see it is in stock.

You should have had the foresight, knowing I'm now dogless and baby-laden that I would be needing this equipment!

I'll try Mayberry's what with it being 2 minutes walk from the brewery. You can come round to sample some with H when it's done (on the pretext of visiting the baby). I'm guessing, being the first batch and all that it's gonna taste terrible, but you never know.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's been in the bucket for a few days so should be done today...

i like the hopfulness :) my last batch took 10 bloody days as the garage went cold. if you're brewing too late for spraymalt, but bear in mind for next time. what kit are you doing?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
i like the hopfulness :) my last batch took 10 bloody days as the garage went cold. if you're brewing too late for spraymalt, but bear in mind for next time. what kit are you doing?

Ah - I guessed it might take longer, what with the weather and all. Be good to get the barrel ready regardless.

The kit is some generic 'Golden ale' from Lakeland but I can't recall exactly the name; it was an impulse purchase last week. Having said that it's something I've wanted to do for ages so I'm grateful for any more tips!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here