Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T buying glasses online

I had an eye test when I was last in UK but didn't get time to buy new glasses. Has anybody ever bought glasses online or would I be better going to Specsavers or whoever when I'm back next?

Prices are lower online but obviously you don't get the chance to try them on or get them fitted.

I know the online sites do a 14 return but is that worth the hassle when I could just walk into a shop and get them.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
N
I had an eye test when I was last in UK but didn't get time to buy new glasses. Has anybody ever bought glasses online or would I be better going to Specsavers or whoever when I'm back next?

Prices are lower online but obviously you don't get the chance to try them on or get them fitted.

I know the online sites do a 14 return but is that worth the hassle when I could just walk into a shop and get them.

I did and they were never right. Then I bought some Paul Smith glasses on ebay and had lenses put in by online optician and was happy with them. All measurements were on glasses I already had.
Yesterday went to Specsavers and got 2 for 1 and happy with order, fit and comfort. Deals on high street have made them competitive with online opticians. In the summer got half price Ray ban prescription glasses from d&a now boots.

So high street for me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bit hit and miss. It depends what power lenses you need, the higher the power the more important the centration of the lenses. This is where the shops come in by taking an accurate optical center measurement. If you buy online they ask you to measure this yourself and if you get it wrong on a reasonable power the glasses will be unwearable.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I've used them with no problems - but last time I went to Specsavers in Boots (the Chemist, not the footwear)

N

I did and they were never right. Then I bought some Paul Smith glasses on ebay and had lenses put in by online optician and was happy with them. All measurements were on glasses I already had.
Yesterday went to Specsavers and got 2 for 1 and happy with order, fit and comfort. Deals on high street have made them competitive with online opticians. In the summer got half price Ray ban prescription glasses from d&a now boots.

So high street for me.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Last time I bought glasses (one varifocal, 1 reading and one prescription sunglasses) it cost me 500 quid! But that was 5 years ago and high street prices seem much more realistic now

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I've bought glasses from Glasses Direct for several years with no problems, at substantial discount on high street prices -- and that's with a complex prescription including varifocals. The key thing is to have the eye test and get a prescription from a local optician (I've used specsavers for this). Depending on the prescription you may need to make sure the prescription includes the pupillary distance (important for varifocals) -- there is also the option of sending in an old pair of specs so that they can get this kind of measurement right (they pay postage and send them back). Some opticians don't like giving you the pupillary distance as it's not a standard part of the prescription (and they know it means that you're buying online), but in my experience they will, if you insist.
The other good thing about Glasses Direct is you can get up to five frames on trial (free postage etc) at a time for up to seven days to decide whether you like them (if you don't, you just get another five and try again). Service is pretty good, and if there's anything they need to check on the prescription, their opthalmologist will give you a ring.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've used Glasses Direct a couple of times and never had a problem with them, one pair needed a slight bit of adjusting which I could do myself but they always had the right prescription and fitted well. Last time I went to Specsavers, which I found a lot easier given that I could try them on first and to be honest the price difference is very small now.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Glasses Direct are good enough for a spare pair. Unfortunately, if they break they are tricky if not possible to repair. At least the cheapest designs are.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here