Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Brighton the biggest club yet to play in the Premiership?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What others haven't so far?

Preston are historically bigger in my view but beyond that I'm wondering who else? It's a damning thought in many ways and underlines how underachieving we are. :(

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Bristol City?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not sure how many clubs have played there, but I suspect it may be near the 50 mark.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What others haven't so far?

Preston are historically bigger in my view but beyond that I'm wondering who else? It's a damning thought in many ways and underlines how underachieving we are. :(

As Japanese Steve said we have played in the PL only difference being it was called the first division.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I'd say Bristol City are the only team as big as the Albion now ... Preston & Huddersfield of a century ago maybe but not now

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Possibly - but at least we are Premier League Ready. When that day is, is another day (see league 1 thread earlier)

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I'll throw Luton in there.

Luton is a particularly amusing case, given that the club voted to set up the Premier League, then got relegated in the last season before it started, and ended up in non league. I'm sure the Premier League seemed like an excellent idea at the time.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
If you're going further back you could throw Notts County in there. Spent 30 years in the top division and they were relegated from the top flight the season before the Premier league was formed, unlucky for them. Obviously nowhere near that right now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If you're going further back you could throw Notts County in there. Spent 30 years in the top division and they were relegated from the top flight the season before the Premier league was formed, unlucky for them. Obviously nowhere near that right now.
You make it sound like they were relegated just before the PL started having spent 30 years there. Seem to remember it was a more fleeting 1 season visit after having beaten us in the play off final - wankers.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I mean Premier League - since the money arrived. Not counting Division 1 which was almost a different sport looking back. So no, I don't mean top flight or Divison 1.

Good call re: Bristol city...

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
You make it sound like they were relegated just before the PL started having spent 30 years there. Seem to remember it was a more fleeting 1 season visit after having beaten us in the play off final - wankers.

Yes the majority of the time there was before the first world war, I probably should have stated that. That's what i meant by going way (way, way) back.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The Prem was formed in 1992/3 when brighton were on a hand cart to extinction so given they made the play offs to the Prem 20 years later with a great stadium, it's a bit harsh to say they under achieved and I say and someone who keeps being called a Palace fan.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I mean Premier League - since the money arrived. Not counting Division 1 which was almost a different sport looking back. So no, I don't mean top flight or Divison 1.

Good call re: Bristol city...

With respect, the advent of the PL was a name change, nothing else. You might as well ask which team hasn't been in the top level since, well, pick a date. I hate the hype that top level football only started in 1992. I also don't like the fact that we haven't been at the top level since 1983.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here