Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

R.I.P. Steve Strange

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sad news, only 55, heart attack in hospital in Egypt. Made his mark, that's for sure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw him interviewed a few years ago and he looked awful and bloated, shaking and stuttering. Sad end.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sad news, RIP Steve.

Jules

Jan 17, 2013
Very sad news. He was a big influence on three of the biggest bands of the 80's. Culture club, Spandau Ballet and of.course Duran Duran. Aah the good old.days dancing to those tunes in NY... Music today is so awful.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You'll have Midge Ure worried given he wrote the song I believe.
The original chord structure was written by Lancing's very own Chris Payne* (he was the keyboard player for Gary Numan at the time). Ultravox's Billy Currie (who was playing with Numan at the time) added a bit and Ure wrote the tune and the words.

Obviously this is sad news but 'every cloud' and all that - hopefully it'll get re-released and as they've managed to get the publishing sorted out now the writers might see a bit more than they did the first time.

*And yes, he is a Brighton fan.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The original chord structure was written by Lancing's very own Chris Payne* (he was the keyboard player for Gary Numan at the time). Ultravox's Billy Currie (who was playing with Numan at the time) added a bit and Ure wrote the tune and the words.

Obviously this is sad news but 'every cloud' and all that - hopefully it'll get re-released and as they've managed to get the publishing sorted out now the writers might see a bit more than they did the first time.

*And yes, he is a Brighton fan.
Oh right. I seem to recall Gary Newman [Webb] somehow had a loose connection with Lancing.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think Tubeway Army were from the Worthing area. I went to school in Durrington with someone whose older brother was in the band.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh right. I seem to recall Gary Newman [Webb] somehow had a loose connection with Lancing.
Gary was born in Hammersmith and at the time he first had some hits he was living in Wraysbury, Berks.

I think Tubeway Army were from the Worthing area. I went to school in Durrington with someone whose older brother was in the band.
They weren't. Tubeway Army was just Gary, his original bass player Paul Gardenr (RIP) and Gary's uncle Jess! None of them came from Worthing. However when they played the first hit 'Are Friends Electric' on Top of The Pops the band that appeared on the telly did contain two members from the Worthing area: Chris (who'd already joined full time) and a friend of Chris's a guy called Trevor Grant who played guitar just for the TV appearances. (I think he did Whistle Test as well). Trevor still lives in Worthing and currently plays in a band called .... naa, the name escapes me at the moment. They gig a lot in the Worthing area though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Fade to Grey always takes me back to basic training at RAF Swinderby in 1982. Our drill instructor was Cpl Grey and he used to make us sing it and :bowdown:

RIP Steve.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They weren't. Tubeway Army was just Gary, his original bass player Paul Gardenr (RIP) and Gary's uncle Jess! None of them came from Worthing. However when they played the first hit 'Are Friends Electric' on Top of The Pops the band that appeared on the telly did contain two members from the Worthing area: Chris (who'd already joined full time) and a friend of Chris's a guy called Trevor Grant who played guitar just for the TV appearances. (I think he did Whistle Test as well). Trevor still lives in Worthing and currently plays in a band called .... naa, the name escapes me at the moment. They gig a lot in the Worthing area though.

Ah. Cheers for the clarification. I went to school with Trevor's brother.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Visage played The Haunt last year.

I went to that gig..Must have been 200 people tops & was pretty much Steve & a fat guitarist...he was unwell that night & did maybe 8-10 songs pretty badly...

Offered selfies for a few quid at the merch stall & , I must say, was a far cry from the giddy hights of the Blitz...

Still love Visage though

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I went to that gig..Must have been 200 people tops & was pretty much Steve & a fat guitarist...he was unwell that night & did maybe 8-10 songs pretty badly...

Offered selfies for a few quid at the merch stall & , I must say, was a far cry from the giddy hights of the Blitz...

Still love Visage though
The interesting thing with that is Rusty Egan was trying to put together a version of Visage that was going to be him, Steve Strange and Chris Payne (who actually never played with the band live originally). It was also going to include rRussell Bell (the guitarist from Gary Numan), Steve Norman (the sax player from Spandau Ballet) and Midge Ure's ...... daughter. They were going to play a mixture of old Visage stuff and new material written by Egan and Payne/Bell. Anyway there were lots of problems and eventually Strange went off on his own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here