Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex-Brighton players in management - and who did best?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the sacking of two of our alumni from Barnsley today, that got me thinking of other ex-Brighton players who went into management.
The most successful I guess would be Howard Wilkinson, the last English manager to win the league (with Leeds) and caretaker manager of England.
You'd have to count Jimmy Sirrel as running him close, taking Notts County from the 4th. to the 1st, and Dave Sexton did alright at Man. Utd. Alan Curbishley had a pretty good managerial career too.
Others that come to mind are Brian Horton, Jimmy Case, Dean Saunders, John Gregory, and going back a bit, Charlie Webb. Any more spring to mind? Any other great successes?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Surely Howard Wilkinson has been the most succesful British manager to have played for the Albion.

Not only did he win the old First Division (that's the Premier League in todays money), he also managed England.

I don't think there is any other ex player who has come close.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Darren Freeman?

Edit; for clarity, I'm saying he went into management, not that he was the best to do so...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Darren Freeman?

Edit; for clarity, I'm saying he went into management, not that he was the best to do so...

Non league! (Not to say that a couple of good seasons might change that)

Has to be better than Mickey Thomas' brief spell in charge of Porthmadoc though!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Dave Sexton. Chelsea, when the Russians where more interested in Germany. Manchester United and two successful spells as England under 21 Manager. He also lived in a very ordinary house, which I walked passed every day. ( In touch with the people) Although I think Howard Wilkinson married a friend of my sisters who lived at the top of our road. ( really in touch with the people.)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Richie Barker, hasn't exactly been brilliant but he's held down a few league jobs for a while.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Wasn't Lawrenson a manager at one point as well? I can't pretend to know where (before my time), but I'm sure he was...

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Ast to Horton at Oxford then manager at Peterborough for few weeks.

Really?

Wiki...

Management[edit]
After his time at Liverpool, he was appointed Oxford United manager in 1988. His time at the club was frustrating and he resigned after star striker Dean Saunders was sold by the board of directors, without Lawrenson's approval.[5]

Over that winter, he made a brief playing comeback in the GM Vauxhall Conference, making two appearances for Barnet.

Lawrenson also managed Peterborough United from 6 September 1989 until 9 November 1990. However, his spell in charge was mostly unsuccessful, even though he was popular amongst the younger players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would say that wiki entry is wrong. He played in Malta after playing for Tampa Bay Rowdies with Peter Ward after leaving Liverpool due to injury and then for Chesham Utd non league He was definitely at Oxford but I thought it w.as as assistant to Brian Horton but he may have been manager for a short while. Suprised he was manager at Peterborough for so long as he fell out with the chairman. Saunders was sold by the chairman of Oxford, Kevin Maxwell to his dads team Derby. This was when Robert Max.well wanted to merge Oxford and Reading as Thames Valley Royals.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I would say that wiki entry is wrong. He played in Malta when he left Liverpool and then for Chesham Utd non league He was definitely at Oxford but I thought it w.as as assistant to Brian Horton but he may have been manager for a short while. Suprised he was manager at Peterborough for so long as he fell out with the chairman. Saunders was sold by the chairman of Oxford, Kevin Maxwell to his dads team Derby. This was when Robert Max.well wanted to merge Oxford and Reading as Thames Valley Royals.

Thames Valley Royals has a certain ring to it. With Maxwell's millions they might well have made it into the European Cup.

"In Group A with Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Real Madrid are current holders...Thames Valley Royals!".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here