Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pay on the gate at Hillsborough

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Most probably yes it will be POTD, very surprised if it isn't, doubt it will be cheaper though as it's it's normally more expensive to pay at the ground. As for a shit stadium, really, have you ever been there? It's old for sure, but it's an impressive, traditional, in-town stadium that has plenty of history and character (to be fair, it has more character when there's a decent size crowd), but it isn't shit, IMO.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does anyone know if there'll be pay on the gate for Hillsborough on Saturday and if it will be cheaper?
£27 is a lot of money for access to shit stadium we've never won at.

Under £30 to watch a massive club, bargain more like.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Most probably yes it will be POTD, very surprised if it isn't, doubt it will be cheaper though as it's it's normally more expensive to pay at the ground. As for a shit stadium, really, have you ever been there? It's old for sure, but it's an impressive, traditional, in-town stadium that has plenty of history and character (to be fair, it has more character when there's a decent size crowd), but it isn't shit, IMO.
Nah, it is a bit shit.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Funny how these posters are looking down their noses at a ground that holds over 40,000, has hosted many big games ( semi-finals/world cup etc ) and has a pedigree and a history that we can only dream about.
In a few years time the Amex will be looking a bit tired and worn and rival fans will be looking down their noses at it as more and more state-of-the-art stadiums are built.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Hillsborough is a bit tired now and could do with a revamp. Without doubt it was one of the best venues in football but I think it is finally looking it's age. Still you get an excellent view from the away end, shame it is of the pitch and of our usually pitiful efforts up there. Last season was SUCH a disappointment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think Hillsborough is a bit tired now and could do with a revamp. Without doubt it was one of the best venues in football but I think it is finally looking it's age. Still you get an excellent view from the away end, shame it is of the pitch and of our usually pitiful efforts up there. Last season was SUCH a disappointment.

It's a good view if you get the upper tier of Leppings Lane, but the lower tier is dreadful. I shudder when I walk through the tunnel, there are still 'dark shadows' over that area.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

It's a fine stadium! Obviously improved in the last 2.5 decades.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Hillsborough is one of my favourite grounds in the country. Won't be going though as no matter how much I enjoy it being an old school stadium, we are without fail terrible there and Tuesday night as enough to put me off away games until at least the middle of March

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
It's a good view if you get the upper tier of Leppings Lane, but the lower tier is dreadful. I shudder when I walk through the tunnel, there are still 'dark shadows' over that area.

Agreed, especially the season when we were all in the lower tier. Definitely a shiver-down-the-spine moment.
I can't believe that they have not blocked up that tunnel and modified the access to the terrace. One reason may be that the Liverpool relatives still consider it to be a 'special place' where they can stil pay their respects. Although it will have to change sometime, like the stairway of the Ibrox disaster.

Pizza

Dec 27, 2014
Sheffield/London/Brighton

I was there for the 3-1 loss 2 years ago. I don't think character means what you think it means.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was there for the 3-1 loss 2 years ago. I don't think character means what you think it means.

Been there many times, and know what I meant. as I said, when there is a decent size crowd there it is a great experience, and when the Spion is on song there is a tremendous atmosphere, coupled to a decent away support the place can be brilliant. That is the character I was referring to, something that tends to be the hallmark of in-town grounds with a bit of history, and a good size fan base in relation to the ground size. Something we all hope the Amex will aspire to.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Agreed, especially the season when we were all in the lower tier. Definitely a shiver-down-the-spine moment.
I can't believe that they have not blocked up that tunnel and modified the access to the terrace. One reason may be that the Liverpool relatives still consider it to be a 'special place' where they can stil pay their respects. Although it will have to change sometime, like the stairway of the Ibrox disaster.

The entrance/exit tunnel is so ****ing dark and narrow too , with a large crowd leaving after the game you can't see where the steps are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here