Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Rant from RMT assistant general secretary during radio interview.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Still can't quite believe they want to call a strike over the sacking of a tube driver that failed a breath test :nono:

larus

Still can't quite believe they want to call a strike over the sacking of a tube driver that failed a breath test :nono:

The guy had some valid points to make, in respect of the level of alcohol in the persons blood, the fact he's diabetic and questions regarding how the test was done. However, his personal attack on the radio interviewer was way beyond what anyone could class as acceptable.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The guy had some valid points to make, in respect of the level of alcohol in the persons blood, the fact he's diabetic and questions regarding how the test was done. However, his personal attack on the radio interviewer was way beyond what anyone could class as acceptable.

Wonder if you'd be so sympathetic to this drivers cause if you lost a friend or loved one and this test was done?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Interesting though that the media use the word 'Drunk' which is vastly different to being over the limit.

The union guy sounds like a right **** though trying to defend the driver

The driver was NOT over the legal limit,He blew above the company's zero tolerance level,We believe this may have been a false positive reading on a machine that us KNOWN to have failed in the the past.
The RMT asked for the urine sample also given at the time to be tested but LUL had already destroyed it.
The unions stance is for the company to abide by any employment tribunal ruling.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
The driver was NOT over the legal limit,He blew above the company's zero tolerance level,We believe this may have been a false positive reading on a machine that us KNOWN to have failed in the the past.
The RMT asked for the urine sample also given at the time to be tested but LUL had already destroyed it.
The unions stance is for the company to abide by any employment tribunal ruling.
But if the driver knew the company had a zero tolerence.....rules are rules

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
But if the driver knew the company had a zero tolerence.....rules are rules

Sadly, this is the right answer for me.

Very harsh if he was fractionally over the limit. If the guy had one whiskey the night before he doesn't "deserve" to lose his job. BUT. If you get paid x thousand pounds per year to do a job. You HAVE to play by the rules or get another job.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Exactly this

If the guy has been wrongly treated then this should all be dealt with internally but the idea of threatening strike action over this incident is quite frankly ludicrous and will only further the publics negative perception of unions and reduce any support when they actually have something worthy of strike action

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If he was a fantastic employee the company trusted and had a record of good performance, I really don't understand why the company would go to all these efforts to dismiss him. As for Unions, they do what they have to do with no regard for anyone but a minority (usually) of their members. I still find it ironic that the Unions used their block votes in the Labour leadership election to select an unelectable candidate pretty much guaranteeing David Cameron will be Prime Minister for another 5 years. I actually believe many of them would like someone like Thatcher back as PM. A leader that cuts jobs and shuts down industry again would be ideal as it's the fight, strikes and media attention they love.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
This.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

A diabetic can fail a breath test without consuming any alcohol.

Agreed and I hope the driver gets the justice he / she deserves BUT I'd be worried if I had a pr1ck like that union guy fighting for me. He just failed completely when he was given an opportunity on a plate to get public support for his member. And that is why so many people think unions are pointless relics of a bygone year.

If he was a fantastic employee the company trusted and had a record of good performance, I really don't understand why the company would go to all these efforts to dismiss him. As for Unions, they do what they have to do with no regard for anyone but a minority (usually) of their members. I still find it ironic that the Unions used their block votes in the Labour leadership election to select an unelectable candidate pretty much guaranteeing David Cameron will be Prime Minister for another 5 years. I actually believe many of them would like someone like Thatcher back as PM. A leader that cuts jobs and shuts down industry again would be ideal as it's the fight, strikes and media attention they love.

The individual concerned has 29 years exemplary service(the company's words at his long service award dinner)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Sadly, this is the right answer for me.

Very harsh if he was fractionally over the limit. If the guy had one whiskey the night before he doesn't "deserve" to lose his job. BUT. If you get paid x thousand pounds per year to do a job. You HAVE to play by the rules or get another job.

100% agree
Completely indefensible - the RMT are just spoiling for a fight as usual

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

It wasn't a personal attack. It was a sarcastic comment on Ferrari's loaded question. The question 'Have you stopped beating your wife?' is often used as an example of a logical fallacy because giving both a yes or no answer will make you guilty. The RMT guy didn't make his point very well or handle his annoyance very calmly, but I found Ferrari's cutting him off, then pontificating when called out on his questioning style more irritating.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Edit - Just listened and retract my previous comments except the one regarding chain of custody procedures. What was he thinking about.....

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It wasn't a personal attack. It was a sarcastic comment on Ferrari's loaded question. The question 'Have you stopped beating your wife?' is often used as an example of a logical fallacy because giving both a yes or no answer will make you guilty. The RMT guy didn't make his point very well or handle his annoyance very calmly, but I found Ferrari's cutting him off, then pontificating when called out on his questioning style more irritating.

Clearly then I've led a sheltered life if that question is often posed to combat a yes/no question. And of course the RMT dinosaur needs PR training. It's an offensive question and the RMT guy should have just said 'no' and got on with his argument. Instead he's managed to make Ferrari look good and made himself look like a complete prat. Hence why I'd always trust an employment lawyer over a two bit Alf Garnett union rep.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The individual concerned has 29 years exemplary service(the company's words at his long service award dinner)

Then why have they done this? Either the management are after him for unacceptable reasons such as they are attempting to retire him early, the management are incompetent and don't take special measures with a diabetic's breath test, the management believe it is unsafe for a diabetic to drive a train but have no mechanism to remove the worker on those grounds or the sacked worker has a history of drinking and has been suspected of being under the influence at work; therefore the two failed tests are enough to dismiss him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here