Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goals scored in open play vs. Goals scored from set pieces - Grim reading

Jimmy Grimble

One for stattos. I make it that we've scored 12 goals from set piece plays in the league and 20 from open play.

Players no longer with us who scored whilst here:

Colunga scored 3 goals (admittedly only 1 from open play).

Bent scored 2.

Gardner scored 2.

That means the current squad have only managed to score 15 goals between them from open play. That's a goal every other game.

I made this thread because I've seen a few people say our main problem this season has been our defence (although that tune changed a bit after last night). Whilst our defence hasn't been great, I'd say our attacking play is far more concerning than what we're doing defensively. To stay up we are either going to have to be very reliant on our set pieces, or somehow find a way to start scoring more from open play.

On a positive note - a pat on the back for whoever has been in charge of set piece plays this season.

Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Bloody shocking although the way we play it's no surprise as we average just over a goal a game and have done for 2/3 seasons now.
One striker,one winger and a seriously crap midfield is the reason why

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The reason some will blame the defence is purely because we cannot create/take our chances at the opposite end. Not being able to score heaps huge pressure on the defence to keep clean sheets. Obviously scoring plenty has the opposite effect.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
We spend a long time getting a goal only to through it away softly within 10 minutes. Ffs

Jimmy Grimble

Calling [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION]

Not sure of this is of any use to your bank of stats/information, or indeed if you have stats to the contrary. I'd be interested to compare this against something similar from recent seasons. Since our return to the Championship there has always been moaning on here about the poor quality of our set pieces. I'd be extremely surprised if we've had a better set piece : open play ratio than this season for many years (from the set piece perspective).

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
The fact that there are 14 teams that have conceded more goals than us but only six teams that have scored fewer says it all - and combined with our difficulty in scoring over the last few seasons is a damming indictment of playing one up front!

We all know that CMS and Baldock were prolific scorers as part of a double act and it is absolutely astounding that we've paid a fortune in transfer fees and wages and not played them in a formation that suits them!!

s

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Calling [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION]

Not sure of this is of any use to your bank of stats/information, or indeed if you have stats to the contrary. I'd be interested to compare this against something similar from recent seasons. Since our return to the Championship there has always been moaning on here about the poor quality of our set pieces. I'd be extremely surprised if we've had a better set piece : open play ratio than this season for many years (from the set piece perspective).

Situations.JPG

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2014-2015

For the whole of the OG season we created 36 goals from open play and 14 from set pieces.

PS: I have not complained about the set pieces this season. I thought they have been as good as I have ever seen. I have contradicted people who have just written in without knowing. There is room for 50% improvement though.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is hard to see any big trends in statistics.

Opposition seems to have improved in possession and passing so our leading position is much less than last year.

We are classed as Very Weak in conceding goals from opposing wing play. I have put this down to advanced both full backs and individual mistakes.

I think the opposing defences are better this season. But still we have created six less goals from open play in 30 games than last season. That could almost be put down to Ulloa alone.

I still think we are missing a speed merchant on the right wing which has a discouraging effect on advancing full backs as well as creating our own chances.

It is all down to the players we lost and not adequately replaced.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here