Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GIant PLANT pots in the road ? Mmmkay

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No, because they're not skips :)

They do have reflective markings on, it appears. Be a terrible hazard for drink drivers using Viaduct Road though.
They look like (ugly) skips (what idiot painted them black to make them even more difficult to see), will probaby soon be filled up with the same stuff as would go in a skip, and if somebody hits one it will have the same effect as a skip. Therefore they might as well be skips. Do they need planning permission for them? What is the cost of maintaining them (and any plants unfortunate enough to be dumped in them)?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
They look like (ugly) skips (what idiot painted them black to make them even more difficult to see), will probaby soon be filled up with the same stuff as would go in a skip, and if somebody hits one it will have the same effect as a skip. Therefore they might as well be skips. Do they need planning permission for them? What is the cost of maintaining them (and any plants unfortunate enough to be dumped in them)?

I cycled up there this morning and they've actually re-painted the road to advise how to avoid the obstructions. To me, that suggests they're not going anywhere. They are ridiculous though, they're ugly and a hazard. The road is wide enough that cars don't really need to go anywhere in the lane but they're not good for cyclists because we then have to move further into the centre of the lane. It's an unnecessary hazard, but I doubt it will go anywhere until the first fatality - which will probably be a cyclist.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Surely if people are sticking to the speed limit of 20mph, there shouldn't be any issues with fatalities etc etc. Maybe the planters could be brought out into the road by an extra few feet to allow cyclists to pass through "pavement side"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's an unnecessary hazard, but I doubt it will go anywhere until the first fatality - which will probably be a cyclist.
So they're not all bad then :dunce:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Surely if people are sticking to the speed limit of 20mph, there shouldn't be any issues with fatalities etc etc. Maybe the planters could be brought out into the road by an extra few feet to allow cyclists to pass through "pavement side"

All it takes is one mistake from either a cyclist or a motorist and then there will be a collision. I think the planters should be tossed in the nearest bin, or planted in Preston Park perhaps. They are not serving a purpose in Viaduct Road other than to cause an unnecessary distraction.

My question would be, are the council allowed to just put them in without asking anyone?! Did some road safety group or a cyclists safety group get involved in a consultation of some kind, or did some prat at the council just order them and get them put in?

So they're not all bad then :dunce:

Yeah, all right Lamie, pipe down! :dunce:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
All it takes is one mistake from either a cyclist or a motorist and then there will be a collision.

With respect mate, you could say that about anything....pedestrian crossings, traffic calming schemes, speed ramps, If people aren't paying attention to the road and speed limit, there's really no arguement, except they don't look very nice !!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
With respect mate, you could say that about anything....pedestrian crossings, traffic calming schemes, speed ramps, If people aren't paying attention to the road and speed limit, there's really no arguement, except they don't look very nice !!!
True, but generally it is the only way that specifically dangerous errors are rectified. The now famous cycle lane lip at the Gyratory is now completely removed and the bend is flat. When that first went in I must have been one of the first to hit it and (almost, in my case) come off. A number of people did come off, and the council initially just smoothed it out but now they've removed the raised platform altogether.

I wouldn't be surprised if they remove the plant pots in response to accidents. It's JUST a bad idea. There is no upside to it, put in speed bumps if you want, they're fair enough but plant pots? Seriously, what a stupid and dangerous idea.

My question would be, are the council allowed to just put them in without asking anyone?! Did some road safety group or a cyclists safety group get involved in a consultation of some kind, or did some prat at the council just order them and get them put in?
:
When I worked for the Highway Authority, it would have been unthinkable for something like this to happen without widespread consultation, not just with local residents, but with all sorts of organisations, including police, fire and ambulance. I was shocked when Edna K said that the police just came across these pots. They should have had the opportunity to comment before they were installed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I cycled up there this morning and they've actually re-painted the road to advise how to avoid the obstructions. To me, that suggests they're not going anywhere. They are ridiculous though, they're ugly and a hazard. The road is wide enough that cars don't really need to go anywhere in the lane but they're not good for cyclists because we then have to move further into the centre of the lane. It's an unnecessary hazard, but I doubt it will go anywhere until the first fatality - which will probably be a cyclist.

After the council elections in May the new administration needs to have them removed as its first priority. You don't need emergency vehicles with lights and sirens going down Viaduct Road swerving in between traffic because nobody can pull over to let them through due to giant plant pots being in the way.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
True, but generally it is the only way that specifically dangerous errors are rectified. The now famous cycle lane lip at the Gyratory is now completely removed and the bend is flat. When that first went in I must have been one of the first to hit it and (almost, in my case) come off. A number of people did come off, and the council initially just smoothed it out but now they've removed the raised platform altogether.

I wouldn't be surprised if they remove the plant pots in response to accidents. It's JUST a bad idea. There is no upside to it, put in speed bumps if you want, they're fair enough but plant pots? Seriously, what a stupid and dangerous idea.

Again, with respect but don't you think it's about time people started to face up to responsibilities and what the law stands for. This is the blame culture that is responsible for everyone else's shit but not our own. The planters are big enough to see if you were observing the speed limit and taking note of the surroundings. It's honestly not rocket science.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
After the council elections in May the new administration needs to have them removed as its first priority. You don't need emergency vehicles with lights and sirens going down Viaduct Road swerving in between traffic because nobody can pull over to let them through due to giant plant pots being in the way.

It's not a legal obligation to let emergency services through. If you go through a red light and there's a fire engine up your arse, if you get flashed by the cameras, it's your tough luck, same as if you decide to speed up to let a police car or ambulance past and you get flashed, it's your tough luck

It's not a legal obligation to let emergency services through. If you go through a red light and there's a fire engine up your arse, if you get flashed by the cameras, it's your tough luck, same as if you decide to speed up to let a police car or ambulance past and you get flashed, it's your tough luck
Quite right. And d'ya know what? These emergency vehicles don't pay road tax, like what you and I do.

It's not a legal obligation to drive at 20 either.

What's your point?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
When I worked for the Highway Authority, it would have been unthinkable for something like this to happen without widespread consultation, not just with local residents, but with all sorts of organisations, including police, fire and ambulance. I was shocked when Edna K said that the police just came across these pots. They should have had the opportunity to comment before they were installed.

Again Lord B, with respect. Why do we need all the consultation blah blah? if road users were paying attention, sticking to the speed limit etc etc, they should be able to negotiate a planter stuck in he road in a 20mph zone.

Getting pretty arsed off with all the do-gooders. The emphasis is on the road user, not the council/police etc

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
"Why do we need consultation?" Are you serious? Anyway, when you go to work tomorrow you'll find that all the trees in Preston Park have been cut down and all the flower beds and grass ploughed up. Somebody thought the trees, especially the elms, were all safety hazards and had then taken down. There was no consultation, which was fine I'm sure you'll agree.

But we're talking about a few planters in the road to slow the traffic....not about removing 200 year old trees that are part of out heritage. With respect mate, have some perspective on this

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Again Lord B, with respect. Why do we need all the consultation blah blah? if road users were paying attention, sticking to the speed limit etc etc, they should be able to negotiate a planter stuck in he road in a 20mph zone.

Getting pretty arsed off with all the do-gooders. The emphasis is on the road user, not the council/police etc
"Why do we need consultation?" Are you serious? Anyway, when you go to work tomorrow you'll find that all the trees in Preston Park have been cut down and all the flower beds and grass ploughed up. Somebody thought the trees, especially the elms, were all safety hazards and had then taken down. There was no consultation, which was fine I'm sure you'll agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here