Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GIant PLANT pots in the road ? Mmmkay

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The latest bright idea from the council - great big black plant pots parked in the road, to make traffic swerve around. These should be fun, especially at night. Well done.

Giant plant pots have been installed along a busy city road in an effort to help slow traffic.

Four black square planters have been placed along Viaduct Road as part of a trial in response to residents concerns about speeding traffic.

The planters are also in place to provide "stronger visual clues about the street's residential nature".

Residents however got in touch with The Argus saying the new measures were resulting in motorists having to "swerve and bump" to get around the planters.

Councillor Ken Norman said the planters were a "crazy and very dangerous addition to this heavily used road".

Martin Heath, Brighton and Hove City Council's road safety manager, said: "Further softening of the traffic environment through planting can also create stronger visual clues about the residential nature of the street and examples of these are shown in the slides. These visual clues are very important, because without seeing some giant plant pots, how are people to know if it is a residential street, apart from the houses on either side.

"Following some local public utility work last weekend, which resulted in the closure of a traffic lane, we took the opportunity to introduce some planters to determine the impact that such measures might have on speeds, again to inform decisions about measures later on. We are also very interested to see what impact a medium sized family saloon travelling at 22mph will have on the planter, and hope to have an example of this before the morning.

"At this stage, other than an objective to reduce excessive traffic speeds, there are no specific plans for any types of measures. "The feedback we receive from the LAT and other stakeholders will be used as a basis for developing options."

Last edited:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Saw these the other day. From what was in them it looks as if they are doubling up as new communial rubbish bins!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Heavy Plant Crossing?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Further softening of the traffic environment .... in other words "WE HATE ALL MOTORISED VEHICLES USING THE ROADS"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely superb for cyclists too, as they're forced to weave around the planters and get skimmed by 2 lanes of squeezed-together traffic trying to pick its way through this little assault course.

Still, everyone will definitely know its a residential street thanks to this. Great work Greens.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You do have to wonder exactly how stupid you HAVE to be to work for the council.

el punal

The latest bright idea from the council - great big black plant pots parked in the road, to make traffic swerve around. These should be fun, especially at night. Well done.

Giant plant pots have been installed along a busy city road in an effort to help slow traffic.

Four black square planters have been placed along Viaduct Road as part of a trial in response to residents concerns about speeding traffic.

The planters are also in place to provide "stronger visual clues about the street's residential nature".

Residents however got in touch with The Argus saying the new measures were resulting in motorists having to "swerve and bump" to get around the planters.

Councillor Ken Norman said the planters were a "crazy and very dangerous addition to this heavily used road".

Martin Heath, Brighton and Hove City Council's road safety manager, said: "Further softening of the traffic environment through planting can also create stronger visual clues about the residential nature of the street and examples of these are shown in the slides. These visual clues are very important, because without seeing some giant plant pots, how are people to know if it is a residential street, apart from the houses on either side.

"Following some local public utility work last weekend, which resulted in the closure of a traffic lane, we took the opportunity to introduce some planters to determine the impact that such measures might have on speeds, again to inform decisions about measures later on. We are also very interested to see what impact a medium sized family saloon travelling at 22mph will have on the planter, and hope to have an example of this before the morning.

"At this stage, other than an objective to reduce excessive traffic speeds, there are no specific plans for any types of measures. "The feedback we receive from the LAT and other stakeholders will be used as a basis for developing options."
Perfect! So if anyone wants to park their car on double yellow lines in Brighton, make sure it's got a sun roof with pampas grass growing through. So when a traffic warden tries to issue you with a ticket you can tell him your car is there to soften the traffic environment in accordance with council guidelines.

Peace and love man! :wink:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As if that road didn't look shitty enough already, now all the students can instead of putting rubbish anywhere but there recycling bins can now fill these up with empty cans of Cheap nasty larger and squashed plastic bottles of cider, not to mention millions of pizza boxes...... Rant over, nearly..... The greens do seem to pamper to students with these hippy ideas along with more bike lanes, for people who can't afford cars..... Students..... God even the music they listen to now is soft and lame, what happened to them.... Rant over.....

Nearly

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Absolutely superb for cyclists too, as they're forced to weave around the planters and get skimmed by 2 lanes of squeezed-together traffic trying to pick its way through this little assault course.

Still, everyone will definitely know its a residential street thanks to this. Great work Greens.

I really like this quote "how are people to know if it is a residential street, apart from the houses on either side."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I may have embellished the report a smidgeon.

Yeah , I've just read the original article in The Argus. Love the comments section , anyone daring to make a pro Green or environmental post gets a minus score :lol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do you even live in Brighton?

No ..... I live in Hove ..... like you. And I've never seen such a bunch of incompetent arrogant idiots run the local council in all of my 44 years. The quicker we rid this great city of these vermin the better.

To make matters worse I stupidly used one of my votes last time to vote for these idiots.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The two worst road alterations that have happened on their watch is the old Shoureham road which is now nose to tail all day long and the other one is Lewes road nightly traffic jam which tonight I spent twenty mins traveling from Coldean lane to Combe Road and in that time the bus and cycle lane was almost completely empty bar one lady on a bike and one bus that from where I was sitting had three passingers on board

This plant pot rubbish bins in Viaduct road is the newest in a list of anti car policies the greens have advocated

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Unless the camera is foreshortening, the planters are making a 2 lane residential street one lane down the middle.
Fair enough, I doubt it's an overtaking area.
It's probably a damn sight cheaper than any other option and certainly looks prettier.

So if that's the case, why not push the planters out into the road by a couple of foot leaving room for safe cycling between the curb and nearside of the plants.

I fail to see the problem. If you have to swerve, you are driving too fast and presumably the reason why these have been put in place.

Sorry BOF, but if you can't see a hazard there, you need to retake your test.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here