Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea V Men of Harlech

DjembeJon

Dec 30, 2014
Sussex by the sea
I know this has been debated before but if Cardiff can put the words on the big screen for Men of Harlech why can't we do it for Sussex by the Sea? And on that subject, convince FBS to mix it for us. A majority of our fans don't know the words do they?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Because some of our fans would find it embarrassing or cringey. I would love to have the words up personally.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This was discussed. I even created a video with the words.

Club didn't want to know.

In 2011 I produced a video showing some classic Brighton goals of years gone by to Craig Armstrong's 'Escape'. Oddly, several months later the club did their own version that now plays before every home game at the Amex. Same music.. same clips.. many of which are in the same order..

So I guess they like some of my ideas, just not the GOSBTS one,

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was surprised that Cardiff put English words up on the screen. Surely it should be sung in Welsh?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
..........then maybe those singing 'going up to win the cup' every week can get it right at last.

The clues in the North Stand Banner ffs!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I know this has been debated before but if Cardiff can put the words on the big screen for Men of Harlech why can't we do it for Sussex by the Sea? And on that subject, convince FBS to mix it for us. A majority of our fans don't know the words do they?

Agree about the words on the screen, but the LAST thing we need is some disco remix by a bloke who was vaguely hip about twenty years ago. There is nothing wrong with the brass band version - and no, I don't as a rule like brass bands or military music, but some things are sacred.

..........then maybe those singing 'going up to win the cup' every week can get it right at last.

The clues in the North Stand Banner ffs!

THIS.

You can tell them all that we STAND or FALL, for Sussex by the Sea.

It really isn't difficult.

DjembeJon

Dec 30, 2014
Sussex by the sea
Got some support then! I agree with you all about the original version, esp the words. I would still like to hear what Norman could do with it but its more about the atmosphere and words for me, stand or fall ....... I think a lot of people are confused.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
THIS.

You can tell them all that we STAND or FALL, for Sussex by the Sea.

It really isn't difficult.

Abso-diddley-lutely. Since I first posted on NSC in about 1999 I've banged on about "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup" yet still the more moronic sing "going up to win the cup", even though it doesn't make any sense. (Why do they sing that? It's beyond me).

However I'm now a firm fan of the original words, so all together now: "You can* tell them all that we stand or fall!"

*Although pedants may point out that it's actually "You MAY tell them"

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I always sing as do loads around me problem is we are often all singing diffrent bits I like the reframe "when we reap and sow "

I am not to keen on the first verse with the "let your hearts be gay"

While others I hear singing the third verse and others only the "stand or fall" with "going up when we win the cup"

It's all a bit of a mess I for one would be very happy if the club would pick which bit is to be sung putting the words on up the screen

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Because some of our fans would find it embarrassing or cringey. I would love to have the words up personally.
Are we really that precious?

Anyone who gets such a reaction to words on a screen ( that they don't even have to look at ) must cringe at their own shadows :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are we really that precious?

Anyone who gets such a reaction to words on a screen ( that they don't even have to look at ) must cringe at their own shadows :lolol:
Half&halfscarfgate.

It would appear what NSC finds cringey and embarrassing isn't the same opinion as that of Albion fans.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I always sing as do loads around me problem is we are often all singing diffrent bits I like the reframe "when we reap and sow "

I am not to keen on the first verse with the "let your hearts be gay"

While others I hear singing the third verse and others only the "stand or fall" with "going up when we win the cup"

It's all a bit of a mess I for one would be very happy if the club would pick which bit is to be sung putting the words on up the screen
We've had this discussion before. Everybody wants to change something. Some don't like the 'out of date' music and some don't like the 'out of date' words. I have an element of sympathy on that score: 'Gay' has obviously changed meaning, and I bet very few of us 'plough and sow and reap and mow' for a living - and some of us aren't even 'useful'. And some who sing it aren't even men!

Personally I think the words (except for the chorus) are all pretty poor, but you've just got to take the rough with the smooth. It IS out of date, but we'll never agree on a re-write so lets just sing it 'as is' and be proud of Sussex and the Royal Sussex Regiment. And also let's be grateful that our club anthem is not some bit of 1960s dross by the Dave Clarke Five.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here