Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst strikers league goalscoring records since when?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Can anyone recall at this stage of the season a worse league goalscoring record for our main recognised strikers??

Baldock 14 appearances (1 sub) - 2 goals
CMS 10 apps (7 sub) - 1 goal
O'Grady 8 (7) - 0 goals

Colunga now out on loan and never really an out and out striker or CF, 11 (6) - 3

I'm struggling to recall a worse season in recent times, perhaps in exile at Gillingham?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The most costly mistake the club has made this season is selling Ulloa with no decent replacement lined up - there is no excuse, we had plenty of time and funds.

Baldock and COG were monumental wastes of money and the £2.5m should have been spent more wisely. I have absolutely no idea what the point in Best is either.

How on earth were we meant to be have a decent season without a goalscorer?

hey chill out, remember, according to the Chairman, we're going to reach the play offs...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The most costly mistake the club has made this season is selling Ulloa with no decent replacement lined up - there is no excuse, we had plenty of time and funds.

Baldock and COG were monumental wastes of money and the £2.5m should have been spent more wisely. I have absolutely no idea what the point in Best is either.

Sadly this is true.

We may have got 8-10 million for Leo, but failure to sign a decent replacement will cost us as much at least when we go down.

Tony badly needs now to get a high class striker on 93 day loan. If this costs 40K per week, then that's about 13 weeks, which is a ~520K outlay.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Jake Robinson -123 appearance- 13 goals. (according to wiki)

Graham Barrett- 30 appearances- 1 goal.

Chris Mcphee- 60 appearances-- 4 goals.

Shaun Wilkinson- 17 appearances- 0 goals.

Dan Marney- 15 appearances - 0 goals.

If Carlsberg did strikers.........

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My perennial fave Simon Fox - a few appearances and zero goals, and in the old third div.

I've said it before I'd take a 22 year old Gary Hart any day of the week right now. CMS not fit, Baldock ermmmm not fit, Oh not makey the grady - errmmmm slower than a white van driver following an all female bike race.

We're not going to score many that's for damn sure, it's all out defence from here on in methinks. The Walta Zenga school of management... awesome.

Simon Fox
NA
Real name Simon Fox
Age 37 (Born 28 Aug, 1977)
Height 5ft 10in (1.78m)
Weight 10st 2lb (64.4kg)
Place of birth Basingstoke
Nationality England England

Career
CLUB FROM TO FEE LEAGUE FA CUP LGE CUP OTHER
APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS
Brighton 17 May, 95 31 May, 96 Trainee 1 (8) 0 0 (0) 0 0 (1) 0 0 (1) 0
Totals £0 1 (8) 0 0 (0) 0 0 (1) 0 0 (1) 0
Goals per Game 0 n/a n/a 0

Kosh

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Some sobering, perspective garnering and reality checking stuff below - I was there, oh how the wind blew wild, and oh but for a fantastic save olde Foxy could have have an entirely different career...

Football: Quakers ride storm better than Seagulls
Scott Barnes on a bad day up north for the side at the foot of the League

SCOTT BARNES Monday 03 March 1997

The battle at the bottom of the Football League left Brighton becalmed and probably sinking, while a howling gale blew Darlington towards a 2-0 win and probable safety.
But, off the field, both clubs are still on the rocks. Four hundred Seagulls' followers bravely flapped up and down singing: "Jump Around If You Hate Archer". The object of their wrath, the club's chairman Bill Archer, was not present. A consortium will continue to mediate with him this week, but Brighton still face the prospect of sharing Gillingham's ground next season - whichever league they are in.

The Quakers are barely better off. In January the club, 83 per cent of which is owned by former Sheffield United chairman, Reg Brealey, via a trust in Gibraltar, staved off a winding-up order by promising to pay off debts in instalments over five years. Before Saturday's kick-off, the chairman, Bernard Lowery, announced that the Quakers were still pounds 400,000 short of the pounds 2m needed for a stand to comply with the Taylor Report.

Darlington's director of coaching, David Hodgson, does not believe such off-field turmoil should affect what happens on field. "When I was a player I didn't even know the directors' names. Our players are happy with the Portakabins where the hot water is flowing freely in the showers," he said, pointing to the orange higgledy-piggledy huts which double as dressing- rooms. "I come into work and, if the stand is started, brilliant, but if not, I get on with my job."

His side also knuckled down to business on Saturday. They won the toss, chose to have the fearsome wind at their backs and were vindicated within four minutes: Robbie Blake's free-kick from the left touchline ballooning into the top-right corner.

In the 25th minute, Anthony Carss, blown down the left wing, touched the ball inside to Gary Twynham, a former Manchester United trainee whom the Quakers signed when he was released from prison. Twynham weaved through a crowded penalty area before scoring his third goal in four games. Hilarious!

Two up at half-time in such conditions was not enough, said the wise heads in the Tin Shed - the stands to be demolished if the money is found. But, despite Brighton's pretty approach play centred on the impish Paul McDonald, they did not manage a shot until the 70th minute. Then Darlington's giant Finnish goalkeeper, Teuvo Moilanen who is on loan from Preston, tipped over an effort from Stuart Tuck and superbly spooned away another from Simon Fox.

Darlington's composed football, in which Simon Shaw and Adam Reed impressed, left Brighton with one away win all season, despite their improving home form.

"That fear factor of not winning away has become a mental thing and, unless I get a psychologist, there's nothing I can do about it," Steve Gritt, their manager, said. "We have to be confident, there's still 11 games to go."

He will be hoping confidence runs freer than Darlington's much-vaunted showers. Half an hour after he had blown the final whistle, the referee was still carrying his wash-bag in search of hot water.

Goals: Blake (4) 1-0; Twynham (25) 2-0.

Darlington (5-3-2): Moilanen; Shaw, Reed, Crosby, Hope, Carss; Naylor, Twynham, Atkinson (Kelly, 82); Blake, Roberts (Innes, 52). Substitute not used: De Vos.

Brighton and Hove Albion (4-3-3): Ormerod; Smith, Allen, Hobson, Tuck; Mundee (Peake, 63), Mayo, Reinelt; Baird, Maskell, McDonald (Fox, 77). Substitute not used: Johnson.

Referee: G Cain (Bootle)

Bookings: Darlington: Twynham, Blake. Brighton: Reinelt.

Man of the match: Shaw

Attendance: 2,099.

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Jake Robinson -123 appearance- 13 goals. (according to wiki)

Graham Barrett- 30 appearances- 1 goal.

Chris Mcphee- 60 appearances-- 4 goals.

Shaun Wilkinson- 17 appearances- 0 goals.

Dan Marney- 15 appearances - 0 goals.

If Carlsberg did strikers.........

That's a little simplistic, Robinson was too small, the others were just cr*p.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Some sobering, perspective garnering and reality checking stuff below - I was there, oh how the wind blew wild, and oh but for a fantastic save olde Foxy could have have an entirely different career...

Football: Quakers ride storm better than Seagulls
Scott Barnes on a bad day up north for the side at the foot of the League

SCOTT BARNES Monday 03 March 1997

The battle at the bottom of the Football League left Brighton becalmed and probably sinking, while a howling gale blew Darlington towards a 2-0 win and probable safety.
But, off the field, both clubs are still on the rocks. Four hundred Seagulls' followers bravely flapped up and down singing: "Jump Around If You Hate Archer". The object of their wrath, the club's chairman Bill Archer, was not present. A consortium will continue to mediate with him this week, but Brighton still face the prospect of sharing Gillingham's ground next season - whichever league they are in.

The Quakers are barely better off. In January the club, 83 per cent of which is owned by former Sheffield United chairman, Reg Brealey, via a trust in Gibraltar, staved off a winding-up order by promising to pay off debts in instalments over five years. Before Saturday's kick-off, the chairman, Bernard Lowery, announced that the Quakers were still pounds 400,000 short of the pounds 2m needed for a stand to comply with the Taylor Report.

Darlington's director of coaching, David Hodgson, does not believe such off-field turmoil should affect what happens on field. "When I was a player I didn't even know the directors' names. Our players are happy with the Portakabins where the hot water is flowing freely in the showers," he said, pointing to the orange higgledy-piggledy huts which double as dressing- rooms. "I come into work and, if the stand is started, brilliant, but if not, I get on with my job."

His side also knuckled down to business on Saturday. They won the toss, chose to have the fearsome wind at their backs and were vindicated within four minutes: Robbie Blake's free-kick from the left touchline ballooning into the top-right corner.

In the 25th minute, Anthony Carss, blown down the left wing, touched the ball inside to Gary Twynham, a former Manchester United trainee whom the Quakers signed when he was released from prison. Twynham weaved through a crowded penalty area before scoring his third goal in four games. Hilarious!

Two up at half-time in such conditions was not enough, said the wise heads in the Tin Shed - the stands to be demolished if the money is found. But, despite Brighton's pretty approach play centred on the impish Paul McDonald, they did not manage a shot until the 70th minute. Then Darlington's giant Finnish goalkeeper, Teuvo Moilanen who is on loan from Preston, tipped over an effort from Stuart Tuck and superbly spooned away another from Simon Fox.

Darlington's composed football, in which Simon Shaw and Adam Reed impressed, left Brighton with one away win all season, despite their improving home form.

"That fear factor of not winning away has become a mental thing and, unless I get a psychologist, there's nothing I can do about it," Steve Gritt, their manager, said. "We have to be confident, there's still 11 games to go."

He will be hoping confidence runs freer than Darlington's much-vaunted showers. Half an hour after he had blown the final whistle, the referee was still carrying his wash-bag in search of hot water.

Goals: Blake (4) 1-0; Twynham (25) 2-0.

Darlington (5-3-2): Moilanen; Shaw, Reed, Crosby, Hope, Carss; Naylor, Twynham, Atkinson (Kelly, 82); Blake, Roberts (Innes, 52). Substitute not used: De Vos.

Brighton and Hove Albion (4-3-3): Ormerod; Smith, Allen, Hobson, Tuck; Mundee (Peake, 63), Mayo, Reinelt; Baird, Maskell, McDonald (Fox, 77). Substitute not used: Johnson.

Referee: G Cain (Bootle)

Bookings: Darlington: Twynham, Blake. Brighton: Reinelt.

Man of the match: Shaw

Attendance: 2,099.

I was there that day. The away performances just didn't seem to reflect the confidence at home.

I didn't realise the crowd was so small.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Is it any wonder that our strikers aren't scoring when there is very little being set up behind them. We don't get wide and behind defences and our midfield just lacks any creativity. We don't break at pace and continually allow the opposition to get men behind the ball.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I was there that day. The away performances just didn't seem to reflect the confidence at home.

I didn't realise the crowd was so small.

God it was a grim day. I remember my dad saying they can't play in this! yet alas they did, and after 4 mins of trying to kick the ball into the strongest wind I've ever seen professional football played in we were inevitably trailing.

Watching Ormerod trying to work out what do to i.e. distribute to the fullbacks - which seemingly took him three or four failed long kicks, one of which resulted in the goal from the free kick - come on Mark! Was akin to watching someone at a local fete trying to do a bike over hay bales 'stunt' resulting in inevitable injury and associated embarrassed looks all round.

Great days indeed.

Kosh

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

The situation with our strikers is a massive embarrassment and shocking - must be without doubt the worst season i can remember for strikers in 30 years of following the Albion

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The player bought in were designed to score a particular kind of goal.
Sadly we have only scored 3 such goals.

2 v Bournemouth away and Solly v Fulham, away.

At no other point this season has a through ball been played that split the central defenders into the path of a fleet footed forward.

A la Gardener shooting from the penalty spot, the Albion are 100% successful when it comes to 'on the shoulder' goals.
Yet they have done everything possible to make sure that opportunity never comes around.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can anyone recall at this stage of the season a worse league goalscoring record for our main recognised strikers??

Baldock 14 appearances (1 sub) - 2 goals
CMS 10 apps (7 sub) - 1 goal
O'Grady 8 (7) - 0 goals

Colunga now out on loan and never really an out and out striker or CF, 11 (6) - 3

I'm struggling to recall a worse season in recent times, perhaps in exile at Gillingham?

Imagine if your job title was 'striker' and your family's financial wellbeing and the continuance of a roof over your head all depended on you performing one simple task: sticking a football in the back of a net. How TERRIFYING would that be, if you couldn't perform that one simple task?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The player bought in were designed to score a particular kind of goal.
Sadly we have only scored 3 such goals.

2 v Bournemouth away and Solly v Fulham, away.

At no other point this season has a through ball been played that split the central defenders into the path of a fleet footed forward.

A la Gardener shooting from the penalty spot, the Albion are 100% successful when it comes to 'on the shoulder' goals.
Yet they have done everything possible to make sure that opportunity never comes around.

Exactly. It's been criminal how we have failed to play to the strengths of certain strikers. As you said, on the odd occasions we've done it...bingo.....but no...its...blame the strikers for everything...they are useless etc.
All successful strikers need service. They are not going to pick the ball up on the half-way line, beat six men and thrash an unstoppable shot into the net.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here