Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tv money should some go to grassroots football

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The Money going into football should some be spent on grassroots football projects as the pyramid needs a strong base or it will collapse. What do you think.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Yes it should go to grass roots football but it won't. Them at the top will get a pay rise and ticket prices will also rise.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
As a secretary and coach of a grassroots club, all we want are affordable 3G venues in which to play and train on throughout the winter.
I agree we should be building more 3G pitches I think the affordable rent is the key. They could build them on school playing fields as long as the clubs don't get priced out. Also I know other sports need this type of facilities hockey need a different type of surfaces.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Some does go to grassroots football though. It's not enough to compensate for the reduction in funding from central and local government that has arisen in recent years.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Once again I will raise the point of why the FL clubs extended the Sky contract to 2018 when BT had shown their hand months earlier as a big money rival football bidder
Ludicrous terms both in amount & length for the 5th biggest league in the World
Yesterday just makes a dreadful call astonishingly inept

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The Money going into football should some be spent on grassroots football projects as the pyramid needs a strong base or it will collapse. What do you think.

It should spread among all levels of the game. Otherwise no one will ever be able to move up from "grassroots" because the conference and FL are underfunded.

From the numbers I've seen... PL gets £5.1 BILLION but gives £270 MILLION to the lower tiers. That's about 5%. This number should be closer to 20-25% with at least £1bn of the TV revenue being "taxed" on the PL for redistribution lower down the tiers. By my reckoning that would make most [FFP compliant] teams in the FL financially secure.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It should spread among all levels of the game. Otherwise no one will ever be able to move up from "grassroots" because the conference and FL are underfunded.

From the numbers I've seen... PL gets £5.1 BILLION but gives £270 MILLION to the lower tiers. That's about 5%. This number should be closer to 20-25% with at least £1bn of the TV revenue being "taxed" on the PL for redistribution lower down the tiers. By my reckoning that would make most [FFP compliant] teams in the FL financially secure.

Just think how many well coached footballers we would have in this country if the 5% went to actual grass roots football - improved pitches and changing rooms, no subs asked of children and youth players, no exorbitant charges for coaching badges.
Add 20% to the lower tiers and the PL would still be looking at a huge net increase in income. Greedy feckers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think it would be loverly if it did, but not sure how it should occur. when a company pays for rights to a film or package of other media, we don't ask that some of the money goes to grass roots dramatics or film students, or when a company buys some technology we don't ask for a slice to go to associated clubs or education. why do we ask this of football? that said, the premier league does build more directly upon the grass roots than other industries do, and they could pay a fixed % to say the FA for the improvement of facilities. but then isnt it a case of it already does, and we want more to go through?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
As a secretary and coach of a grassroots club, all we want are affordable 3G venues in which to play and train on throughout the winter.

Couldn't agree with you more. As an example the village/town [pop 19000] where I live, has 4 such pitches, 3 of them with stadium facilities and all equipped with floodlights, one is part of a dedicated sports school that as well as football includes, rugby union, tennis & other sports, including some circus skills! The 3G pitches are always in use with full coaching & training facilities for ages 4 to adult. Seems to work for Spain, why not the UK?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
i think it would be loverly if it did, but not sure how it should occur. when a company pays for rights to a film or package of other media, we don't ask that some of the money goes to grass roots dramatics or film students, or when a company buys some technology we don't ask for a slice to go to associated clubs or education. why do we ask this of football? that said, the premier league does build more directly upon the grass roots than other industries do, and they could pay a fixed % to say the FA for the improvement of facilities. but then isnt it a case of it already does, and we want more to go through?

Companies/Industries pay corporation tax (see separate thread for those that don't!) knowing that that money will fund schools and universities that are educating the next generation of workers. This I see as a reasonable comparison.

The PL should be "taxed" (and quite considerably) in order to fund the development of players, facilities and clubs on which they depend. If there was no football other than the PL and what they own themselves (ie their own academies), then the sport dies a death with a decade. It has to be played in schools, in parks, in small clubs, in semi and full pro clubs in the lower leagues, etc etc. Those in the ivory tower need to wake up and see that what they receive is on the back of the effort of lots of people outside their league making the sport what it is and thereby generating the level of interest that means Sky/BT will pay billions to show the pinnacle of that work.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Why does the PL need a pyramid to support it?

I'm guessing (in an uninformed way) that most players in the PL, and possibly the Championship and L1, do not come through the pyramid but instead come from abroad or through the clubs' own youth/U21/development/academies.

I'm not pro the modern day PL set-up or anti 'grass roots' but I'm not convinced about the entitlement of the bottom end of the pyramid to the money generated by the commercial interest in the top end. Isn't it a bit like saying that Sainsbury's should fund the local allotment?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't like the fact that the PL dominates English football, both financially and, probably, legislatively. The FA have little clout when it comes to governing the game. That said, I'm not sure what taxes people actually think football clubs should pay in addition to everyone else. The players should all be on 40% rate of income tax so for someone on £200k a week, they are paying £4,160,000 in income tax a year (give or take a few avoidance scams!). If the clubs are VAT registered so that goes to the treasury. If any were able to declare a profit then they would pay corporation tax.

It would be great if clubs did provide the money for far more 3G/4G pitches. We're quite lucky as the U11 girls team I coach are fortunate enough to train over winter on a 3G pitch but at a cost of £380 and we only have one sixth of a pitch. However, last year we didn't train or play for about 4 months. However, I'm well aware there is no obligation on the PL to fund those pitches. It's no different to asking the likes of Elton John, One Direction, Coldplay etc to be taxed to fund music schools, or taxing theatres and the film industry to fund drama schools.

If people think the money the clubs get is obscene then perhaps they shouldn't subscribe to the likes of Sky but that's been said before many times and very few actually cancel their subscriptions.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Couldn't agree with you more. As an example the village/town [pop 19000] where I live, has 4 such pitches, 3 of them with stadium facilities and all equipped with floodlights, one is part of a dedicated sports school that as well as football includes, rugby union, tennis & other sports, including some circus skills! The 3G pitches are always in use with full coaching & training facilities for ages 4 to adult. Seems to work for Spain, why not the UK?
I agree and I bet each town has a running track as well.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The money belongs to the PL not the FA though.
Yes but they will kill the golden goose that lays the golden egg.
If they want the PL is to continue to be the best league in the world we need to produce world class players in the UK
Also keeping the interest in football otherwise nobody will want to pay to watch and then the money will dry up its not rocket science !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here