Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grimsby Town fan's ejection from Forest Green match investigated

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Stewards at Forest Green Rovers ejected a Grimsby Town fan from The New Lawn before Saturday's game.

Images show supporter Bryan Winship held in a headlock by a steward.

The Gloucestershire club said in a statement the photos "do not make good viewing for a club that prides itself on being family friendly and welcoming to away fans."

The club said it was investigating the removal of a fan from the away end and added it was "awaiting the post-match report from the stewarding company before we comment further on the incident".

'Going purple'
Mr Winship, 41, from Ulceby, was later interviewed by the Grimsby Telegraph and told the newspaper he "couldn't breathe" as he was ejected.

He said he had taken an inflatable football to the match to inject a "bit of fun" into the game.

But when he began blowing it up, he was told by a steward the item would be taken off him, he said.

When he refused to hand it over, he said he was grabbed by another steward who put him in a headlock and ejected him from the stands.

Mr Winship had been at the game with his 15-year-old daughter Janelle, who tweeted: "Seeing my dad being held at the throat going purple not being able to breathe and getting dragged out the ground was pretty scary ngl #gtfc."

_80881939_caters_grimsby_headlock_01.jpg

Over reacting, stupid stewards or the death of football coming ???

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Stupid football.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody would appear to come out of this well.

From a 41 year old man with his giant inflatable football, to the 8 stewards removing him.

Is the bloke behind, wearing a head band, (as said nobody would appear to come out of this well) holding a dog?

el punal

From a 41 year old man with his giant inflatable football, to the 8 stewards removing him.

Is the bloke behind, wearing a head band, (as said nobody would appear to come out of this well) holding a dog?
No, that's a half of a half n' half scarf or maybe just an oversized bar code. And, what he's holding could be an inflatable cod as he's probably a Grimsby fan. God, it's so surreal. :mad:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

What the hell is the offence then?.... this guy simply did what millions have done in past years,... inflatables, bobbing around the stand, causing nobody any harm,.... ok if it went on the pitch during the game, fair enough, grab it,.... but this is a symptom of the way H&S and petty stewarding are killing the atmosphere at games in this country.... I hope they charge that steward with assault.....

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
To be honest I reckon the steward doing the headlock, could be done for assult

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What the hell is the offence then?.... this guy simply did what millions have done in past years,... inflatables, bobbing around the stand, causing nobody any harm,.... ok if it went on the pitch during the game, fair enough, grab it,.... but this is a symptom of the way H&S and petty stewarding are killing the atmosphere at games in this country.... I hope they charge that steward with assault.....
Not an offence.
Just getting to the point of that photo from blowing up a giant inflatable football doesn't look good.

At some point someone, from either side, should have paused for thought.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm in no way condoning the headlock etc but I do find it a bit strange that the stewards have managed to get him from the stands to there and he STILL wants to hold on to the ball. Why didn't he just let go ? I suspect there's more to this than either the text or the picture shows.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm in no way condoning the headlock etc but I do find it a bit strange that the stewards have managed to get him from the stands to there and he STILL wants to hold on to the ball. Why didn't he just let go ? I suspect there's more to this than either the text or the picture shows.
Like I said nobody comes out of this well.

Why didn't a steward just burst it, or would that be criminal damage :facepalm:

Yoda

English & European

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is what happens when a club doesn't employ matchday stewards who are specifically trained to control crowds at a football ground but uses an agency to supply personnel who have previous experience in door supervision and security.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I would be embarrassed with that football but does not warrant such heavy handed behaviour. Agree with everyone else- picture tells a lot of stories- none of which look particularly good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here