Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer

I've never seriously criticised individuals before but in Greer's case I will make an exception after his performance on Saturday.

What annoyed me is that apart from his inability to kick a ball in the direction of the goal unchallenged from 15 yards and apart from his inability to head the ball at the goal from 5 yards out which he should have buried, his staggering ability to whinge, moan and complain to the ref and other players which is of an International standard. What he should be concentrating on is doing the job he is paid to do - play sodding football - defend our goal and take the scoring chances that come to him.

All he does is wind up Bruno and others around him who also start mouthing off when he should be using his influence to get them to stop conceding soft goals as we are continually doing. The opening goal was partially down to him as he was marking Danny Collins and got nowhere near him for the ball to end up in an empty net.

His level of performance has been poor since his return from injury and it's time to try someone else who is perhaps more level headed and can actually head and kick a football and properly mark their player at set pieces?

And relax ..................

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Agree...

Unfortunately we do not have a lot of options though.....Rohan Ince to CB?

Halford or Hughes both provide hugely experienced alternatives.
That said, Greer was a damn sight more effective than Dunk on Saturday.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Greer had a poor game on Saturday but in general he's been a superb player for us. Take him out of an already inadequate defence and watch us concede many more goals and lose many more games. Greer must play.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
Halford to partner Dunk for me. Ince would be missed in midfield if moved to CB.
It amazes me how often we manage to slice clearances and put ourselves in more trouble. The amount of times this seems to happen with our defence pushing out and all seem to get caught out and left for dead.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not an ideal situation as I thought both Bruno and Calderon were as poor as Greer so I woukd play Halford at right back, not his best position, and Hughes and Dunk in the middle. This gives the option of playing 3 centre backs and pushing Bennett further forward if needed.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No time for sentiment, at 34 Greer isn't the future. Halford at 30 is probably in his prime for a CB, and has a good few tears left. He is on my must keep this summer list, but we must play him or else he will easily find another club.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
With Halford being a makeshift striker also, he might chip in with a few at the other end too like Dunk. Could see a CB pairing chipping in with 10-15 goals in a season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No time for sentiment, at 34 Greer isn't the future. Halford at 30 is probably in his prime for a CB, and has a good few tears left. He is on my must keep this summer list, but we must play him or else he will easily find another club.
I wouldnt think too many clubs are joining a queue to sign Halford.but he could do ajob at the right price but not the inflated wages he is on at Forest or got at , or rather should have got, at Pompey.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Gordon Greer has been poor all season, and hopefully he will be put out of his misery tomorrow night.

THe worrying thing is, we have already extended his contract for next season!!

His positional play is questionable, he is very weak in the tackle, very very poor in the air, for a skipper he seems mute most of the game, in fact I find it hard at the moment to find a positive about him.

Personally would play Halford or Hughes over Greer every day.

Although we have a few at the moment, Bruno, Calderon, even Bennett, Greer has become our stand out weakest link now for a good few months.

All this talk of signing another winger or striker on loan, I think we need to sort out the defence before anything else. If we keep giving goals away like we have been lately, we will find out the hard way that we are not to good to go down. Stop the silly goals. and we'll have a comfortable mid-top half finish, and for that to happen, I think Gordon needs to watch from the stands for the rest of his contract.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Great post from the OP! Nail on the head.
Greer is not the player he was two seasons ago. Looking very old & slow now. Our defensive back line needs a massive re-haul in the summer - Bruno, Greer and Calde all too slow for Championship football...could be allright for League One...every silver lining...!!
I would give me left nut sack to have Tommy Elphick still at the club. It would be awesome to have two homegrown CB's - Him and Dunk.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Greer will probably remain in the team until the summer and at that point he will be moved on. if not moved on he will most certainly not be a regular starter in the team.

CH isnt foolish enough to make too many sweeping changes whilst still in relegation trouble. A certain amount of stability is required but he needs to get enough out of what he has at the moment to stay up but all the time he will be evaluating these sort of players and deciding whether or not thay are good enough to be here next year or not

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Greer will probably remain in the team until the summer and at that point he will be moved on. if not moved on he will most certainly not be a regular starter in the team.

CH isnt foolish enough to make too many sweeping changes whilst still in relegation trouble. A certain amount of stability is required but he needs to get enough out of what he has at the moment to stay up but all the time he will be evaluating these sort of players and deciding whether or not thay are good enough to be here next year or not

Staying up this season is of the paramount importance, let next season be sorted in the summer lets get the points this season.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
B

If we wait till the summer Gordon won't need to move to a lower division, he'll be in one!

When he makes mistakes he waves his arms around as if to say, it was someone else's fault and the other players just walk away and I don't see much in the way of direction and encouragement that you would expect from a captain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here