Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to the Current Football Rules

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I know it's been done to death probably, and a cursory search hasn't brought anything recent up, but more and more I watch football and think some rules are in desperate need for change (and some that need re-introducing, or some that would be nice to have). If you could have:

- 1 rule scrapped / changed,
- 1 rule reintroduced and
- 1 rule added

What would they be? For me:

- 1 rule scrapped / changed: Offside, bring back "daylight" for offside. The amount of time wasted on MotD etc looking for a tiny part of the body being offside it just silly.
- 1 rule reintroduced: Bring back the 'keeper taking his kick from the side it went out. It's abused so much to waste time
- 1 rule added: Lino's use the vanishing spray to mark out from where a throw in should be taken, I hate it when players just walk further and further down the line before throwing

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I would make it a rule that people that call them rules instead of laws would be publicly flogged, or for more serious cases be made to support Palace.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I would make it a rule that people that call them rules instead of laws would be publicly flogged, or for more serious cases be made to support Palace.

You sick *******. I would change that simulation was a red card, Goal kicks have a maximum of six seconds in order to stop time wasting.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Following on from the 'non-penalty' against Arsenal, when the ball struck the arm but was ruled not a pen, I would require refs to give an indirect free kick for obstruction - as clearly the ball wasn't allowed to go where it should have and it was by a part of the body not allowed contact with the ball.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Make a score draw worth two points.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
1. When a defender touches the ball inside the 18 yard box if it is passed to him by the goalkeeper from a place kick, then the opposition team is allowed a freekick inside the area

2. The daylight rule when it comes to offside. I'd forgotten all about that. Let's give it another run out.

3. The 10 minute sin bin for yellow card offences

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. Bring back the time limit and four steps rule for keepers in possession with the ball in hand.
2. Hand ball in the box is hand ball, whether ball to hand or hand to ball. Remove all doubt. (with the caveat that if it is hand to ball it is a booking or sending off if goal bound).
3. Introduce independent time keepers.

I do like the idea of a sin bin though.

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
1. Scrap offside
2. Reintroduce the number tags on socks, boy I loved those as a kid!
3. Allow referees to either stop the watch AT ANY TIME the ball is dead or introduce a timekeeper. Either way it makes all the rolling around, time wasting and subs etc irrelevant.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Make all free kicks direct
Reintroduce the advancement of a free kick by 10 yards for bot retreating/dissent
Stopping clock so all time wasting is removed

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
I'd ensure referees refused to stop the game for injured players unless there was conclusive evidence that said player was either seriously, life-changingly injured, or dead.

I'm fed up with games being stopped for some pathetic, grown man to have his shin tenderly rubbed by the physio (and that includes players kicking it out for their "injured" team-mate whenever he has the slightest knock. Usually when they're narrowly leading with a few minutes left). You want treatment, you go off. Man up.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
What are the current rules re time a keeper can hold the ball before releasing?

Six seconds, but routinely abused by professional players, and ignored by referees.

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
Boring time wasting is ignored in the main by refs while celebrating an exciting goal can earn you a yellow card. Thats the wrong way around.

Make the corner quad larger but insist the 'whole of the ball' is inside it

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Oh, and you know when a player concedes a free kick, and then his team-mate, who was nowhere near at the time, "accidentally" runs across the path of the ball as he jogs back to cover, almost inevitably with his hands in the air in that innocent "What? Deliberately blocking the kick? Me, ref?" manner, to deliberately block the quick kick, thing?

That. That would be an instant booking (I mean, it should be anyway, but officials ignore it), and an automatic advancement of the ball ten yards forward. And the player would have to retreat to the other half of the pitch and couldn't defend it.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Six seconds, but routinely abused by professional players, and ignored by referees.

Amazing isn't it. I asked the question somewhat sheepishly because I assumed that the 6 second rule had been changed and it had passed me by. Cannot remember the last time it was implemented. It's not difficult to enforce is it.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Also: any club signing an expensive striker from another team- let's say Nottingham Forest, for example, picking up a player from, say, Peterborough.

If you fail to meet payment deadlines for that player, you should be banned from playing him in the next match, minimum, until such time as you've coughed up.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Amazing isn't it. I asked the question somewhat sheepishly because I assumed that the 6 second rule had been changed and it had passed me by. Cannot remember the last time it was implemented. It's not difficult to enforce is it.

The only time I can ever remember that rule being enforced involved Italy's then goalkeeper, Walter Zenga. Might have been the 1988 European Championships, possibly, or maybe Italia 90. The referee awarded a free kick in the penalty area against Zenga. Can't recall who it was against or whether it resulted in a goal.

Edit: just checked, it was in the 1988 European Championships, and the free kick was awarded against Zenga for taking more than four steps, not time wasting. Looks ridiculous in the context of the modern rules if you watch it now. It's about 1:03:30 onwards on this video. Andreas Brehme scores for Germany as a result of the consequent free kick. The referee is England's Keith Hackett :D

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here