Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for fans of old-fashioned British guitar blues

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Duke Garwood's new album 'Heavenly Love' is an absolute belter. A voice that is reminiscent of Americana singer Jim White and in quieter more minimal moments there's definitely John Martyn too. I've had the album on loop all this morning. Garwood is a Londoner who has been around quite a long time as a session musician, he's collaborated with Mark Lanegan too but this latest album deserves as wide a recognition as possible.

I think the likes of @Icy Gull, @catfish et al might well enjoy this.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Yeah I like that - reminds me a bit of Dave Alvin.

Thanks chaps, new album hasn't appeared on Spotify yet but I have tagged his most recent album "Black Pudding" for a re-listen - I must have listened to it already as I have favourited some of the tracks. Anyone who sounds even a bit like Dave Alvin (a god like genius of American rootsy type stuff imho) deserves a hearing. Any others you would care to recommend?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ah, I had an advance copy but the album came out today, I see that Resident Records have it on sale. I'm not particularly au fait with Dave Alvin so will check out him for sure. As for people who sound like him, I do think he sounds like Jim White, an Americana singer when he gets really blues-y. Check out his albums: 'The Wrong-Eyed Jesus' and 'Substrate For the Soul'. He's not exactly blues though, as I say.

Someone else who is perhaps sort of similar might be Daniel Lefkowitz who writes for Low Anthem too.

Maybe worth checking out Ray Lamontagne although his blues is very country-tinged.

Felice Brothers maybe? Might be a bit too country/Americana for your tastes though if you're more into pure blues. Apologies if these aren't up your street. I'm really into Americana so my tastes, as you can probably tell, are a bit different!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here