Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the most you have spent to watch a game of football?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There must be some real horror stories...

Mine is relatively modest, but still far more than I would ever contemplate spending these days.

Back in the early 2000's I bought a place at a 'Sponsored Match' at Withdean. Lunch in a portacabin, a seat in the North stand in front of the Directors, half-time refreshments and the opportunity for the Match Sponsors to name and present the MoM award - again, back in the portacabin.
I can't recall the exact cost but it was somewhere between £100 - £200 I think?

Last edited:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I saw River Plate play when I was on holiday in Argentina. If you lump in the air fare and cost of the holiday the total cost came to £2007 - the £7 being the cost of admission to the game.

Does that count?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
In this country, probably Blackpool last week - £100+ on train tickets and match ticket, plus gawd knows how much on pre and post game nourishment.

Overseas, £1000 on a Super Bowl ticket, plus the flight, car hire, and hotel required for the 5-day trip.

Idiot...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Depends as seen many games abroad however we were on holiday at the time.

Probably in recent times the play-off final given the cost of tickets etc

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
£300 doing York for 2nights .Actual Ticket price £35 England v Holland Euro 96 what would that work out as now 19years later?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In terms of ticket only, looking at my Italia 90 semi final ticket which does not have the price on it, probably about £60 - £70 which would have been above the face value. In the UK, Spurs away a few years back cost me £40 for one of the best seats in the ground/directors. box area.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Ticket only is £150 for England against Trinidad at World cup in Germany.
Add flights and beer it was an expensive day trip.
Worth it though.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Nothing to do with anything, but as for cheapest and not even football, $0.07 for T20 World Cup Final ticket in Sri Lanka a few years ago.....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
£350 at the Amex for my Grandaughter to be captain's Mascot.

Plus about £1000 if you include our flights, car hire and hotel for our visit.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Can't remember the exactly amount but I spent a small fortune to go to a World Cup semi in 2006. The one that England would have been in had they not lost to Ronaldo's Portugal. Think it was Portugal v France in Munich. Would have been worth it if England had made it though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My 1983 cup final ticket cost £4. Seems a long time ago now!

In a sense, I got paid £1000 to watch Danny Cullip's header beat Chesterfield in the Withdean days. That clinched a bet I'd put on us at the start of the season to be champions.

Eurobound

Brazil 2014- here we come
Nov 3, 2003
£400 for a match ticket to England v Argentine in Saporro Stadium Northern Japan, World Cup 2002
If you wanna sling in air fares and hotel costs then its a tadge more LOL

We won 1-0 with a Beckham penalty, and I was a "Cayman Island FA Official" at the match. Ha-ha (Still have the ticket framed)
I was in fact away from most other England fans, but at the corner of the stadium where Beckham run over too, and dropped to his knees.

Last edited:

Juror#13

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Or spent not to watch.

Exeter away and we lost so stayed with friends near Bristol for the night. Sunday on the way back on the train then it was engineering works so bus ride for 3 hours so decided I'd head north and to Rochdale for our Tuesday night game. I bought a single train ticket to Blackpool and arrived at 12.15am Monday Morning and found a room till Tuesday where I'd travel into Rochdale for the game and get another room after them head back to Brighton on the Wednesday.

Monday afternoon I got a call saying the match had been called off due to snow. Unbelievable, stuck in Blackpool and had to buy a single back to Brighton.

Total cost including food, beer, hotel and train fairs- £320.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Aldershot v Oxford Fa Cup 1987 prices were hiked from £3 to £9 terrace,at the time you could buy a terrace ticket at Wembley for an England game for £4.

The Rattler

Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
1998 World Cup in France - paid £200 for England v Romania

Then me and two mates paid £900 for four tickets for England v Argentina in Saint-Étienne (Beckham sending off - right in front of us) - managed to offload the spare ticket for £300 so worked out at another £200 each for ours.

Lot of money but had it then and was a superb couple of weeks touring France in a Classic VW Campervan (with no starter-motor, so had to bump start it everywhere)

Great times!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My 1983 cup final ticket cost £4. Seems a long time ago now!

In a sense, I got paid £1000 to watch Danny Cullip's header beat Chesterfield in the Withdean days. That clinched a bet I'd put on us at the start of the season to be champions.

Wasn't the replay £4 and the actual final £5 ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here