Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has there ever been a more overrated Brighton defender than Lewis Dunk?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Just because he's tall and quick, doesn't mean he's any good. Joel Lynch was touted as the next best thing for the same reason, and he's playing at the same level. Actually, Joel Lynch is probably the answer to this thread title.

Time some of our supporters realised that Lewis Dunk isn't all that. In fact, I'd go as saying he's a liability. Watch his positioning, it's DREADFUL. his height and pace are quite literally his only attributes.

Greer needs to play alongside someone who can actually defend, him and Halford for the rest of the season please.

I accept this goes against the grain because the sheep prefer Greer, but all they see is that he's not as tall or quick as Dunk, which means they ignore the fact that he's a miles better defender all round.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Wow. Are you joking? He didn't have his best game today but was still streets ahead of Greer, as usual. Him and Ince have been our best two players this season by far.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I think Dunk is potentially a very good defender, but still has much to learn about positioning and technique.

His pace sometimes get him out of situations he wouldn't get himself in if he was a better player.

But for me Dunk's main problem is he absolutely loves himself. Think's he's the the dogs bollocks and is better than he actually is. Very bad attitude IMO.

He'd be completely found out if he got to play in the Premier League anytime soon.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whoaaaa, hold on ... there have been lots of problems with the team this season, but Dunky and Rohan Ince have been head and shoulders our best two players.

In fact l'd go as far as to say that without them, we would be in the bottom three, and an odds on bet for relegation.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
There is something rotten in our defence at the moment but with respect to the OP I will rely on our management team to find the source of the problem. Easiest thing in the world to point fingers.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
But for me Dunk's main problem is he absolutely loves himself. Think's he's the the dogs bollocks and is better than he actually is. Very bad attitude IMO.

I've met him a couple of times and know that he is a hard working unassuming lad and have found him to be not at all arrogant. So are you making that statement based on what you think he is like or do you know him personally?

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
This thread is b*****ks.

I'd go as far as saying that, in terms of Dunk's reading of the game, overall positioning this season and his distribution, he is a lot more advanced than his age would suggest.

Oh, not to mention that he gets a few goals too.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whilst the OP is quite harsh, I do feel he positioning point made is valid. I think at this moment in time Dunk is a good quality championship player and nothing more.

However, in his defence I would say that the court case he had to endure probably hindered his development, as it can't be nice for a young man (or anyone) to have that hanging over them. His form since then has improved and at the moment he is one of the few bright sparks that we have.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
IMO, yesterday the main problem with the defence- the pairing on the right hand side of it and the stupid giving away of freekicks. Oh' and the total lack of concentration of the goalie for the 1st goal.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Mark Lawrenson. No positional sense, slow, couldn't time a tackle.

Steve Foster. Always dodged a challenge. Dreadful header of the ball.

Danny Cullip. Limp as a lettuce leaf. No passion.

All of these are about as accurate as the OP's comment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What amazes me even more is how did Sami not want to play Ince ?

Baffling given the way he is currently playing

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What amazes me even more is how did Sami not want to play Ince ?

Baffling given the way he is currently playing

Absolutely, ridiculous decision. Saw him yesterday, he looked much healthier than when he was manager...... Just wonder if the stress was getting to him.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Gone fishing must be as he was the best defender on the park yesterday and often this season has been

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here