Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there really a bounce for new managers in their first game ? Here's the stats.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Here's the new managers in the Champ this season and the result of their first match. 13 new managers of whom 6 actually lost their first match in charge, 5 earned rare victories, given the form of their teams up til then, and only 2 draws.
How will Dougie do ?

Huddersfield Town (Powell) L 1-2 v Boro
Leeds (Milanic) L 0-2 Brentford
Cardiff (Slade) W 2-1 Forest
Watford (Garcia) W 1-0 Charlton
Fulham (Symons) D 3-3 Wigan *confirmed manager
Bolton (Lennon) W 1-0 Birmingham
Birmingham (Rowett) D 0-0 Wolves
Leeds (Redfearn) L 1-3 Cardiff
Blackpool (Clark) L 0-2 Ipswich
Reading (Clarke) L 0-1 Watford
Brighton (Hughton) W 1-0 Charlton
Norwich (Neil) W 2-1 Bournemouth
Charlton (Luzon) L 0-5 Watford

PS: this is a useful list of all the sackings this season
http://www.thesackrace.com/news/28th-august-2012/20122013-managerial-casualties

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I wonder if the losing teams put in a better performance than they had been and it was possible to see some improvement. With the exception of Charlton vs Watford that is.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Five wins, six losses - the same sort of split you might expect between home games and away games. Just hope we win today, whatever the stats or trends.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If you look at the stats of when CH takes charge, he actually starts slowly and progressively gets better. If fact he seems to take quite a while to get players playing how he wants. At Newcastle, one of his first games was a 6-1 defeat to Leyton Orient.

At Birmingham he had the luxury of playing in Europe so some of the poorer performances were in Europe. That left him with lots league games in hand which by then he had started to get them playing well and pushed into the Play Off places late when they caught up the games in hand.

His first League game for Norwich in his first season in charge was a 5-0 defeat to Fulham and they were in bottom 3 for early part of the season before eventually finishing 11th so I think it will take time before we actually see real progression here at Brighton

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I tend to feel that new manager wins are a worry, and new manager losses are more positive. Not entirely sure why. Maybe it's that the new managers that turned out to be successful that I noticed started poorly and vice versa, or maybe it's this sense that deeper problems are ignored or even written off if the new manager starts well (i.e. if a the new manager gets a result out of the same player, it's obviously the old manager's fault, let's keep these players and not bother investing in new ones) whereas if they start with a loss there's a "this isn't a quick fix, we need to invest in players, too" attitude, etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here