Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT vs Sky

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
We find out who wins the rights for the Premier League this week.

Given that BT already have the Champions League rights if they gain the majority of the prem as well Sky will be absolutely screwed. I think Sky will win because BT are about to buy EE and I doubt they'll have the cash to do both. If that happens I think they've missed a massive opportunity.

Incidentally where does the 4-5 Billion pounds that the Premier League get actually go?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Incidentally where does the 4-5 Billion pounds that the Premier League get actually go?

It trickles down the footballing pyramid, strengthening not only the lower leagues but the national team as well.

Or, of course, it goes on the rest of the pile somewhere whilst the pittance that is given to the FL clubs becomes something that has to be begged for by accepting such wonderful schemes as the 'Elite Player Performance Plan' (otherwise known as the 'Steal Any Half Decent Youth Plan').

I don't like the PL.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thought there was a third player involved in the bidding.

I would expect more of a carve up, so that if you want to watch live football you will need to buy more than one sports satellite channel. At present with BT virtually only on at Saturday lunchtime you can survive only with Sky

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I would expect more of a carve up, so that if you want to watch live football you will need to buy more than one sports satellite channel. At present with BT virtually only on at Saturday lunchtime you can survive only with Sky
As it's a sealed process there's every chance there are multiple bidders.

Bein were rumoured to be interested, as were Discovery (owners of Eurosport I believe) so they could walk away with something...hell, if Google decided to get into the game they could be involved (admittedly unlikely).

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
BT have done better than they thought, they will bid much stronger and have deeper pockets than anyone previously taking on Sky
My bill will go up for the 22nd year running is the only certainty

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Al jezeera. Also im sure Virgin are involved and someone else. i read Virgin were asking for stalling of the auction until after an Ofcom or Competition Commision inquiry completed. the thing is the Premiership have been quite clever in responce to the claims of lack of competition by offering more packages, so more companies can get involved and deflect those claims.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Al jezeera. Also im sure Virgin are involved and someone else. i read Virgin were asking for stalling of the auction until after an Ofcom or Competition Commision inquiry completed. the thing is the Premiership have been quite clever in responce to the claims of lack of competition by offering more packages, so more companies can get involved and deflect those claims.

Ofcom have not upheld Virgin, bidding starts now

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Will one of the companies have sole viewing rights, or will one of them have the larger share like the current situation?

No single company is allowed to have all of the rights any more. But there are more matches up for grabs so there could be more than 2 broadcasters this time. Discovery and Bein Sports (Al Jazeera) are reportedly the other contenders.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Virgin want to get rid of the no tv at 3pm rule so more games can be televised.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
SKY every time
more customer friendly and definitely on the ball

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bein sport will win a package or two and we will be forced to shell out a further £15 a month

Nobody is forced to shell out anything.

I had Setanta for about 1 season, but have otherwise never paid for any television other than what is available with my TV licence.

I really don't feel I've missed out on anything and am horrified at how much people are prepared to pay in order to watch teams they don't really care about.

If I particularly want to see a game, it's usually because Brighton are on and I can always find somewhere to watch it.

All the time there's people prepared to buy every package so that they can watch matches every day of the week, the madness will continue.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
More companies get involved in the spirit of "Competition" but in reality it's no such thing.

Sky has lost some of it's games. Will it reduce it's price accordingly? very much doubt it!

I killed off sports and movies two years ago. Best thing I've done. Mind you, they keep begging me to come back at half price for 6 months.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

There are 4 bidders Sky , BT , BeIN Sports (owned by Al Jazeera) and Eurosport (owned by Discovery). The nightmare scenario is having to sign up with 4 different providers to watch all the Premier League live games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here