Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A public flogging for lorry drivers who ignore signs and crash into railway bridges...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
....and delay tens of thousands of train commuters as a result!!

FFS, ill, 3 days away on business trip with hardly any sleep and on my last leg, what should be a 20min train ride home has turned an entire Major london terminus into chaos during rush hour. All because 'lorry hit a bridge'. It beggars belief how frequently this seems to happen. I just wanna get home... :(

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
....and delay tens of thousands of train commuters as a result!!

FFS, ill, 3 days away on business trip with hardly any sleep and on my last leg, what should be a 20min train ride home has turned an entire Major london terminus into chaos during rush hour. All because 'lorry hit a bridge'. It beggars belief how frequently this seems to happen. I just wanna get home... :(

Have the muslims taken over already and created a Caliphate...?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have the muslims taken over already and created a Caliphate...?

No. This would be a proper auld english flogging with a cat o nine tails and bit between teeth. Followed by a rum once said offender had taken his punishment like a man. We're not savages in this country you know.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I blame satnavs.

If you are not local to an area and blindly following satnav instructions, then you are neither aware of height restrictions or road signs.

A couple of years ago I got stuck just outside Petworth for a good couple of hours because the driver of a massive articulated lorry chose to follow his satnav through the middle of the town and ignore the signs highlighting the road restrictions.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I blame satnavs.

If you are not local to an area and blindly following satnav instructions, then you are neither aware of height restrictions or road signs.

A couple of years ago I got stuck just outside Petworth for a good couple of hours because the driver of a massive articulated lorry chose to follow his satnav through the middle of the town and ignore the signs highlighting the road restrictions.

These! These are the people I am talking about! Flog em and flog em hard I say!! Grrrr. After 45mins on said train...announced cancelled so everyone off and I've done what only an Englishman does in times of crisis like these. Yes. Alcohol is involved...

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet he was looking at his mobile.

Everybody else behind the wheel seems too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I bet he was looking at his mobile.

Everybody else behind the wheel seems too.

Or his Sat Nav. Now that would be ironic, though I'm not sure I can stretch to a chuckle in my current mood. Do people that cause such mass disruption by carelessness get any extra sort of fine I wonder? Lawyers get involved and insurance claims much bigger perhaps? Hmmm, I've plenty of time to ponder this that's for sure. Another pint beckons...

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I blame satnavs.

No excuse. Blame the driver as the buck stops with him and not the sat nav. The lorry driver should be given a lengthy ban for this and a massive fine... I passed my test a few years back and things like height and weight of bridges and your lorry is extremely important .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You can be done for all sorts of things that may distract you when driving - mobile phones obviously, but also things like eating a sandwich, or sipping a drink from a can apparently. Perhaps it's time to also make it an offence to be staring at a sat-nav screen when driving?

PS. I think flogging's a tad harsh................

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You were the child that always used to press the 'do not touch' buttons just to see what happened weren't you?.
:lol: Nobody wants to play anymore, I guess they can sense the half hearted nature of the opening gambit.

I guess I should just be patient a proper cyclist v car story will come along eventually.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
[ignore me]

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
:lol: Nobody wants to play anymore, I guess they can sense the half hearted nature of the opening gambit.

I guess I should just be patient a proper cyclist v car story will come along eventually.
It won't be long, if anything, trying to manufacture one is probably delaying the inevitable.

If you're really lacking some motorist baiting start one about parking tickets, they always get a bit lively.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You'll like this one, they installed a reinforced beam before the bridge to prevent rail disruption

that pretty funny. i like how the carvan owners just completely forget they have all that crap on top and seem to carry on obliviously. a lot of those trucks aren't just shaving it, they're a good 6"+ over height.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I blame satnavs.

I know of an american who tried to patent a bridge height app for lorry (trucking) companies in the States. The trucking companies didn't want to pay for this service because they thought it was too expensive. Maybe the governments should penalize the lorry businesses more so they will subscribe to these bridge height apps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here