Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yoga, Willy Wonka and crocodiles, the weird warm-ups of an Albion star and other footballe

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Chris O'Grady will be trying to stretch the Nottingham Forest defenders at the Amex tomorrow - after stretching himself in the dressing room.
The Albion striker uses yoga for his warm-up routine.
O'Grady said: "While the centre-halves in the other changing room are not doing much, I'm making sure I'm as flexible as possible."
O'Grady is not the only player past or present with a quirky pre-match preparation. Here is The Argus guide to the weird, wacky and sometimes downright dangerous.
* O'Grady's new team-mate Beraml Kayal was on the bench when Shakter Karagandy caused a huge Champions League upset with a 2-0 win over Neil Lennon's Celtic. The Scots were like lambs to the slaughter. Before the game, the Kazakhstani side sacrificed a sheep for good luck.
* When Pepe Reina kept goal at Liverpool he fueled his preparations in the oddest way. He drove to the same petrol station before every game at Anfield to top up the tank, even though it was already almost full.
* Leighton Baines, the Everton and England left-back, walks onto the pitch and then unties and reties his laces. "My pre-game ritual does my head," he admitted. "I don't know why I do it."
* Malvin Kamara, the former Huddesrfield and MK Dons player, insisted on watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. He claimed that it eased his nerves and put him in the right mood for the challenge ahead.
* Former AC Milan midfielder and World Cup winner Genaro Gattuso allegedly prepared for matches by reading Dostoyevski while on the 'throne'. What a load of....
* In 2009 the head coach of the Zimbabwean first division club Midlands Port Cement ordered all his players to bathe in the crocodile-infested waters of the Zambisi river. According to local tradition submerging in the waters can allay evil spirits. Of the 17 who entered the water to bathe only 16 emerged.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here