Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven -- Dieppe - Second Ferry is back in May

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good-ish news indeed, might try to stock up on beers and wines maybe. I wonder if the good citizens of Dieppe are looking forward to the rampaging groups of Stags and Hens and general pissheads as much as the people of Newhaven ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i have always loved the pitiful attempts at making concessions to the French on roadsigns in Newhaven. One Tenez a Gauche sign in Denton, and a 'Centre Ville' arrow opposite the flea market, tempting French tourists to sample the delights of Newhaven High Street, and in their native tongue no less.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Great news for Newhaven economically as well, the ferry service stopping would be disastrous for the Port. I see an application has recently been submitted for a new berth and development area for E.On, along with the new Technical College things might be on the up (at least a little).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
i have always loved the pitiful attempts at making concessions to the French on roadsigns in Newhaven. One Tenez a Gauche sign in Denton, and a 'Centre Ville' arrow opposite the flea market, tempting French tourists to sample the delights of Newhaven High Street, and in their native tongue no less.

The French visitors may be lucky enough to stumble across La Baguette shop in 'Centre Villie' :)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Still much rather go from Dover. Dieppe is a nice place though

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It'll never be as good as it used to be when the ships berthed immediately next to the row of restaurants on the west side of the river.

Correct, I went about 3 years back at the end of September, there was a small shuttle bus to the railway station where we picked up a hire car, when we came back it was October, no shuttle bus, no normal bus to the port and not a taxi in sight.
We managed to get a bus part way but there was still a fair way to go on foot.
At least Newhaven has got 2 railway stations and a bus stop near the port.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what is the best French seaport to have a day trip too?

Taking the kids across the channel for the day is an 'itch' I've had for a while.
I was hoping Dieppe would be ideal for a bit pottering simple bite to eat and head home again.

Jan 30, 2008
Used to be a night club boat that went out at the weekend years ago , anyone remember the group from Worthing that got onto the bridge of the ship and got charged with piracy ?
regards
DR

If they had decided to do this a bit sooner we may have been tempted to go this way for our annual trip to France - 35' ish drive to Newhaven instead of nearly three times that to Dover plus starting the holiday by driving for nearly 70 miles in the wrong direction! Looked at going Portsmouth way but that way seems expensive and really requires you to go overnight which I do not fancy at at all.

Pity they can't get the fast ferry back which made day trips even more practical - Dieppe is a very pleasant town to spend a day with quite a few reminders of the infamous 1942 raid.

Jan 30, 2008
If they had decided to do this a bit sooner we may have been tempted to go this way for our annual trip to France - 35' ish drive to Newhaven instead of nearly three times that to Dover plus starting the holiday by driving for nearly 70 miles in the wrong direction! Looked at going Portsmouth way but that way seems expensive and really requires you to go overnight which I do not fancy at at all.

Pity they can't get the fast ferry back which made day trips even more practical - Dieppe is a very pleasant town to spend a day with quite a few reminders of the infamous 1942 raid.
I didn't see anything on the beach:blush:
regards
DR

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Is it possible for the French to get over in time for a match and make the ferry home again the same day? Albion marketing department could just be about to uncover a whole new market

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
And slightly off topic, I seem to remember getting a ferry from Brighton marina to France some years back (maybe early/mid 90's) is this a figment of my imagination or was there really a service?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here