Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Out of the dark and into the light

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Just wondering how you all cope with dark times. Can't see anything at the moment for the blackness and while alcohol is no answer, it's all I have as a coping mechanism in the short term. Any advice gratefully received, and apologies for getting more serious than I should.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Most of us get it mate at some time or other.
It aint nice and it aint easy to live with,but most of us eventually come out the other side.
If it helps just a little bit I'm right there beside you tonight buddy.
Stay strong!

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
They say light boxes help, there must be somewhere in Brighton you could try it. Although you may feel like a bit of a twerp, if it's affecting you, worth a try.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Try not to drink alone, you'll just get more down. Take some walks, some fresh air, even on a bracing day.

Write your thoughts down, nobody ever has to see them but in doing so it makes your thoughts more ordered, less jumbled

Don't beat yourself up, accept there will be bad days, we all have them and sometimes for no big reason. If you're having a bad'un then just hope tomorrow will be better.

Look for those little gems in life, like an Albion win. not big in the great theme of things but gives us all a lift.

And good luck. Remember there are more good than bad people out there.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Try and do something good for someone else, ideally someone who can't do anything for you in return.

It'll leave them better off, make you feel good about yourself and keep you from dwelling on your own issues.

Wishing you all the best however you're feeling.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I've got a lumier light box, which helps. Its a nicer way to wake up in the morning than a normal alarm. Got mine off Amazon.

Even though its night and dark, if its clear look up at the moon and stars. Then remember that the Earth is supporting you and feel your place in the Universe.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I do it by talking mate, used to hold it all inside and it nearly broke me. Never underestimate the power of letting people know how you are feeling, if you fancy exchanging PM's im happy to be an ear buddy. Try and light up and scare away the dark sir :)

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Try not to drink alone, you'll just get more down. Take some walks, some fresh air, even on a bracing day.

Write your thoughts down, nobody ever has to see them but in doing so it makes your thoughts more ordered, less jumbled

Don't beat yourself up, accept there will be bad days, we all have them and sometimes for no big reason. If you're having a bad'un then just hope tomorrow will be better.

Look for those little gems in life, like an Albion win. not big in the great theme of things but gives us all a lift.

And good luck. Remember there are more good than bad people out there.

I think this is good advice. I am always better out of the house than in when feeling down, so the advice about getting out and about is good. I know it's an effort but make sure you eat well, lots of fruit and veggies. Unsure about concentrating on the Albion wins currently! Take care and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Just wondering how you all cope with dark times. Can't see anything at the moment for the blackness and while alcohol is no answer, it's all I have as a coping mechanism in the short term. Any advice gratefully received, and apologies for getting more serious than I should.

Great post, Dan. We all feel down sometimes.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Do not underestimate the power of exercise. Amazing what a simple run or gym session can do for the mind.

I agree with the writing things down too.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

I know where you are coming from. I fight a constant battle with two little men in my head. One is positive, one is negative.
In recent years, the negative one has had a field day. Divorce, exclusion from children, bereavements, business failure and cancer. But through all of this, the positive one has hung on in there. Its been tough at times but he has refused to go away. He hasn't given up. So when Mr Negative pops up, I take a deep breath, say to myself..." it can't be any worse than I've been through already and I'm still here kicking and fighting."..and lo and behold Mr Positive fills my thoughts and all is well again.
Mr Positive likes other Mr or Mrs Positives. It makes him feel better. He gravitates toward them and tries to avoid Mr and Mrs Negatives.
Life is a bitch at times and we all have moments when there appears to be no answer, no way out. But someone, somewhere will press the right button for you and help you. Keep talking to people and looking for those answers...they are out there.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do not underestimate the power of exercise. Amazing what a simple run or gym session can do for the mind.

I agree with the writing things down too.

This for me too. Nothing more cleansing of the mind than a long jog/run/walk in the fresh air on the Downs. Without doubt a coping mechanism for me. Hope the fog clears for you, hang in there as things are never as bad as they seem.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
The power of now - Eckhart Tolle.

You cannot change anything from the past.

You cannot change anything in the future at the specific moment in time.

Positive mental attitude.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Try meditation/yoga. It's the one thing which will feel greater than any addiction, your sub-concious.

If you are currently struggling right now, then give it ago. After you've done it, you'll be amazed how much clearer, slower and happier your thinking will be. It's the only instant remedy I've ever come across for addiction.

Check this:

http://www.brahmakumaris.org/uk/whatwedo/meditation

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The power of now - Eckhart Tolle.

You cannot change anything from the past.

You cannot change anything in the future at the specific moment in time.

Positive mental attitude.

Good call. I got an audio version of this and listened to the whole thing whilst walking or at the gym.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Also to put things into perspective , try listening to a ' A short history of nearly everything' Bill Bryson.

Although sometimes bombarded with gobbledygook it's easy enough to pick out how the earth and universe evolved and in the grand scheme of things our troubles really are.

I mean, it's widely thought that there is no other intelligent life forms anywhere in the entire universe.

If there was they'd be that far away that if looking at the earth, they'd be watching the French Revolution.

There are more stars / planets , than grains of sand on our earth.

The earth is 4.5 billion years old, you will be here on average for 80 odd years.

Only 4% of the earth is habitable! so out of the entire universe we are on the habitable 4%

Aren't we lucky.

Enjoy while your can, none of us are getting out of this alive :O

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here