Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glasgow Rangers player selection policy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me the 5-man loanee deal has completed the emasculation of Rangers FC.

Mike Ashley has his own man running the show at Rangers, he has their training ground as security, he has a controlling interest in Rangers Retail Ltd AND yet by sending 5 loanees there he is saying that his priority is Newcastle and Rangers are nothing more than a feeder club.

It's a very strange way to behave because Ashley is irretrievably tarnishing the Rangers brand, a brand into which he has sunk millions.

It's like buying a restaurant then curling off a big shit in the middle of the dining room .

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
When football finally implodes, the Rangers story will be a fairly big nail in that coffin unfortunately.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The whole thing stinks. I can't quite work out what Ashley is up to. He owns Newcastle United, and gives the impression of being a big fan. I know we've had chairmen 'living the dream' before now (think Peter Ridsdale at Leeds) and then movintg on to ruin another club, but Ashley at Newcastle seemed to be genuine. The fans wanted more transfer activity (and success) but Ashley, although rich by your's and my standards, couldn't match the wealth of the Abramovichs of this world, and accordingly didn't spend astronomical amounts in the transfer market. That seemed fair enough.

Now he seems to have got millions to pump into Rangers. It doesn't make sense. Is he the most two faced man in the world or is there another explanation?

Incidentally, are the rules in Scotland different to down here? Can they play five loanees at once?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The whole thing stinks. I can't quite work out what Ashley is up to. He owns Newcastle United, and gives the impression of being a big fan. I know we've had chairmen 'living the dream' before now (think Peter Ridsdale at Leeds) and then movintg on to ruin another club, but Ashley at Newcastle seemed to be genuine. The fans wanted more transfer activity (and success) but Ashley, although rich by your's and my standards, couldn't match the wealth of the Abramovichs of this world, and accordingly didn't spend astronomical amounts in the transfer market. That seemed fair enough.

Now he seems to have got millions to pump into Rangers. It doesn't make sense. Is he the most two faced man in the world or is there another explanation?

Incidentally, are the rules in Scotland different to down here? Can they play five loanees at once?

Ashley has a 'game-plan' otherwise why put money into Scottish football ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For me the 5-man loanee deal has completed the emasculation of Rangers FC.

Mike Ashley has his own man running the show at Rangers, he has their training ground as security, he has a controlling interest in Rangers Retail Ltd AND yet by sending 5 loanees there he is saying that his priority is Newcastle and Rangers are nothing more than a feeder club.

It's a very strange way to behave because Ashley is irretrievably tarnishing the Rangers brand, a brand into which he has sunk millions.

It's like buying a restaurant then curling off a big shit in the middle of the dining room .

This seems to be his approach though. He has bought and subsequently tarnished many famous UK brands as well as the Lillywhites store.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Isn't this effectively Mike Ashley loaning players to himself? I know he doesn't actually own Rangers but from my, probably lacking, understanding that's not enough to stop him running it (via Derek Whatshisname).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The sort of thing you hear fans say but never the manager ???
Got to think it's the chairman who is being less than fulsome with the truth haven't you?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ashley has a 'game-plan' otherwise why put money into Scottish football ?

I think his plan is to eventually get control of Rangers. He did it with Newcastle with the hope of reaching the Champions League but found it almost impossible to do that with so many other clubs having more wealth than Newcastle in England.

Once Rangers eventually get back into the Scottish Premier League he will sell up and take control of Rangers where it will be easily achievable to make the Champions League with a similar level of investment which he put into Newcastle. He will sell up at Newcastle so that he can take over Rangers then he will almost consistently make the Champions League where he then has an international vehicle for his Sports Direct Company

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
E
I think his plan is to eventually get control of Rangers. He did it with Newcastle with the hope of reaching the Champions League but found it almost impossible to do that with so many other clubs having more wealth than Newcastle in England.

Once Rangers eventually get back into the Scottish Premier League he will sell up and take control of Rangers where it will be easily achievable to make the Champions League with a similar level of investment which he put into Newcastle. He will sell up at Newcastle so that he can take over Rangers then he will almost consistently make the Champions League where he then has an international vehicle for his Sports Direct Company
This is the reasoning of the more deluded Rangers fans. Except that they may well not get promoted this season and even if they do they will be miles behind Celtic. In the very unlikely event that they do win the Scottish Premiership in the next three years or so they will need to win three preliminary ties even to get into the Champions League. I don't think that's likely to happen any time soon.

Ashley has all the merchandise rights for the Rangers brand. He's simply sweating the brand like he has with all the brands he has taken over.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I thought the fear for Rangers is that Ashley will be happy if the club can not pay back his loans forcing the club back into administration. Then he has all the assets apart from Ibrox, though that may happen with another loan for free under the conditions of the loans. Rangers 3 would start up again when someone bought out Ashley

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

Something tells me it will be Hearts for promotion this season, unless the whole team gets injured at the same time, how long can he wait for promotion to happen.
Once stripped of the best players, they could become an also ran team for a while.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Players are a way for a club to make money - hence our investment in our training ground. But it's hard to make money on a player that isn't playing.

Rangers are being used as both a training facility and a shop window by Ashley. Sad for such a great club.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Didn't some a**ehole lend the Albion a significant amount of money in the past.......at a likewise 'significantly' high rate of interest. The end result being unable to pay the loan and followed by the marvellous introduction of our 'saviour' from the Crewe area .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Something tells me it will be Hearts for promotion this season, unless the whole team gets injured at the same time, how long can he wait for promotion to happen.
Once stripped of the best players, they could become an also ran team for a while.

Yes hearts will win the League but the team which are second then have a 2 leg play off against the team who are second bottom of the scottish premiership to see who plays in the Premier league the next season so they could go up via the play off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here