Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you feel safe in Brighton at night?

Do you feel safe after dark in Brighton?

Votes: 52 43.7%

Votes: 44 37.0%

Votes: 10 8.4%

Votes: 9 7.6%

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Generally, I feel very safe to the point that sometimes I think Brighton might lull you into a false sense of security and you end up in a sticky situation without realising it. But having read a few comments on an Argus article about a young kid getting their skull bashed open, it would seem that others feel differently and wouldn't dare go out in Brighton at night even in a group? Is this just the Argus brigade or does anyone have genuine fears about hanging out in the sea front / West Street / Preston Street area after dark?

Pole
1 = Safe all of the time
3 = Safe some of the time.
5 = Safe none of the time

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Doh! Meant 1 Safe all of the time, I guess it depends on where you go though. If I'm out late at night it will just be in central brighton which I feel is pretty safe.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
20 years ago when I went out in the town centre all the time i had one group of mates that used to go West St / Preston St or The Gloucester and another that I went dance clubbing with to The Zap or sometimes just to listen to blues / soul at the Catfish. First group always got in scrapes, almost one every week. Never any trouble at all with the second. Yet guess who the police and government were cracking down on....

These days? I was out on a Friday night with my wife and some really good friends for a meal and then drinks just a couple of weeks ago. Stopped off in Preston St at Maggie Maes which was awful but not dangerous before doing The Robin Hood and a bar on Western Rd that were neither awful nor dangerous but good fun. Also do the Robin Hood pub quiz sometimes and again walk along Western Rd after 11 to get to a night bus.

I would never go to West St unless I had to though. My friends don't go there any more so I have no need to take the risk.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Generally, I feel very safe to the point that sometimes I think Brighton might lull you into a false sense of security and you end up in a sticky situation without realising it. But having read a few comments on an Argus article about a young kid getting their skull bashed open, it would seem that others feel differently and wouldn't dare go out in Brighton at night even in a group? Is this just the Argus brigade or does anyone have genuine fears about hanging out in the sea front / West Street / Preston Street area after dark?

Pole
1 = Safe all of the time
3 = Safe some of the time.
5 = Safe none of the time

2 = Safe nearly all of some the time ?
4 = Safe some of nearly none of the time ?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I haven't lived in the UK since 2003 but I remember going to a Van Morrison concert at the Centre and we went to a nearby pub for a drink before and after (Van never stays late!) and we all really noticed an atmosphere around West Street with bouncers on all the pubs.

Have to say I never had any trouble all the time I lived there, but to be fair didn't really do the clubbing bit. Reading the Argus online there does seem to be a number of unprovoked attacks on people going home in the early hours.

Haven't voted as my vote is not really relevant.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Usually yes, but I think that's more to do with me making conscious decisions to avoid certain areas after the sun goes down.

Brighton is safe enough but if you're going to wander around somewhere like West St at 4am on your own you're more likely to run into trouble than other places in the city.

Also, I'm finding that as I get older I much prefer having people round to my place or going round to a friends instead of going out. You can choose your music, pay less for beer and actually talk to your mates instead of being forced to listen to **** music (too loud, as well), getting robbed of £4.40 per pint and having to shout over everyone else in the place.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Brighton is safe, a few feckwits from the Smoke at the weekends, but apart from that Brighton is not dangerous for a man, A woman now that is diffrent I would suggest it is more dangerous for a Woman here than London, due to the fact there are more feckwits that come down on stag and hen parties that can lead to more trouble for a women and the amounts of attacks and rapes is frightening.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Generally safe. I think with a long time living somewhere you end up knowing what/ where to avoid.

For instance I will walk out of my way to avoid West Street or associated side streets on a Friday or Saturday night.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
The Argus comments section is hardly a barometer of public opinion. Brighton is no worse than any other large provincial town. If people don't look for trouble they are generally unlikely to get it.

And I say that as someone who still bears the scar from an unprovoked attack of violence.

A retired Brighton Superintendent told me that the 70s was the worst decade for such incidents locally.

Last edited:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Generally safe.

I don't think I've ever been in a legitimately dodgy situation, though I've had a few encounters with drunk gentleman questioning my parentage and going all 'Wealdstone Raider' on me, which is just as daunting as it sounds. Nothing more terrifying than someone who's barely able to stand slurring out a half hearted threat after all. Only ever happened down West St.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes more so than Crawley

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
New article comment sections are where the doom and gloomers love to hang out. I've installed the 'shut up' extension on chrome that removes the comments from every site lol. You can turn it on and off with a click of a button.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
New article comment sections are where the doom and gloomers love to hang out. I've installed the 'shut up' extension on chrome that removes the comments from every site lol. You can turn it on and off with a click of a button.
Tell me how? Very handy as there are some proper twats about

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I don't feel overly safe if I'm walking around by myself late at night, there just seem to be too many stories lately of assaults on women. So after 10pm ish I'll usually get a bus or cab home, instead of walking anywhere.

However, if I'm with friends then I feel completely fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here