Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Untitled with Alan Davies - a comedy disscussion thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has anyone been watching this nothing TV programme on Dave, 4 comedians chatting in a pre-performance green room style, chaired by Davies.
It's harmless enough, assuming you can get past the scripted element of a programme that prides itself on being completely unscripted.

Anyhoo this week had Jo Brand, Sarah Pascoe, James Acaster and Ricky Tomlinson.
Although not particularly funny it was interesting watching a comedy generation game.

Acaster - as new as they come.
Brand - Seemed to revert back to her early 90's stuff. (insert punchline here ... )
Tomlinson - I guess the politest phrase would be 'very northern working mans club'.

As unfunny as Brand was she was still light years ahead of Tomlinson.
She made it obvious just how much British comedy needed an 'alternative' kick up the arse.
Acaster looked reasonably scared by the characters either side of him but was still able to be the funniest without resorting to shock or casual racism.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I thought the one with Ben Miller on last week was brilliant, when he was telling the story of how he got mistaken for Ben Stiller at the hotel in Cannes and spent 3 days inviting everyone he knew to the room to drink Stiller's champagne.

Thought Ancaster was a little bit overawed to be in that company to be honest. He seemed genuinely terrified every time Ricky Tomlinson opened his mouth.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I like them - they're a very easy watch. It's essentially a podcast on television.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I watch it depending on who the guests are. Avoided last nights like the plague as I absolutely can't stand Ricky Tomlinson.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like them - they're a very easy watch. It's essentially a podcast on television.
That's one direction I was going to head off too.

I used to listen to an 'inside' comedy podcast, by a fella who's name escapes me, interviewing comedians about the craft of the business.
This seems to have been picked up by Sean Hughes who is doing the same.
It's interesting stuff and certainly gives me an appreciation of how difficult good comedy is.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Thats a very good way of describing it.

First series was brilliant. Loads of laugh out loud moment. This second one has been ok and very watchable but not as good as the first in my opinion.

I can't stand Jo Brand but she was actually quite palatable on it this week.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I listened to them as a podcast, they are very funny - those and Josh Widdicombe's XFM show are making me laugh on the way to and from work at the moment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has anyone been watching this nothing TV programme on Dave, 4 comedians chatting in a pre-performance green room style, chaired by Davies.
It's harmless enough, assuming you can get past the scripted element of a programme that prides itself on being completely unscripted.
I watched a few minutes of it and thought 'oh, so that's why all comedy programs are carefully scripted'.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
That's one direction I was going to head off too.

I used to listen to an 'inside' comedy podcast, by a fella who's name escapes me, interviewing comedians about the craft of the business.
This seems to have been picked up by Sean Hughes who is doing the same.
It's interesting stuff and certainly gives me an appreciation of how difficult good comedy is.

really loved the sean hughes interview with micky flanagan the other week - so good to find out more about the man, rather than the comedian!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched a few minutes of it and thought 'oh, so that's why all comedy programs are carefully scripted'.
It's an odd one.
The producers clearly want a free flowing comedy chat, but it seems they don't have the confidence in the guests to let that happen.
It's half chat which can be entertaining then apropos of nothing Davies sets up a 'witty' anecdote.
The 'comedy chat' has to start from the beginning again, which may or maybe be successful.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Not watched this particular program, but based on other stuff it is very clear that some comedians are very good at writing funny material (or employing good people to do this part) and delivering it extremely well either on stage or on tv.

There are a very small subsection of the profession who are genuinely, consistently, laugh-out-loud funny though. Billy Connolly, the late-great Robin Williams, Rory McGrath and Phil Jupitus are some that immediately spring to mind as people who can sit down and just make you laugh during a normal conversation. My personal opinion, and the primary reason for not watching this program, is that the likes of Jo Brand, Jimmy Carr, Alan Davies, Sean Lock and many others who are big on the TV circuit are just not that funny "in real life".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've watched the show and it seems too contrived, a bunch of Alan Davies pals with one anecdote each, so between the four of them they eek out an hour's telly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here