Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top footballers' wages

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
That is obscene and illustrates the gulf between them and us. I am all for top players being well rewarded but there is a difference between well rewarded and taking the p1ss. I know some will say they deserve it, you would take the money, blah blah blah but that does not make it right when there is so much wrong with football that could be fixed by channelling this money elsewhere. The one thing I really hate is when someone rattles out that they only have short career well bullshit so do most people as there are no (or very few) jobs for life anymore!

Still that capitalism for you.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Market forces for you. The wages will continue to go up. The new tv deal for premier league football is rumoured to be increasing from 3 to 4 billion. I'd rather see it distributed more evenly, investments made into lower league and grass root football but it wont happen. It's not the players fault if a club offers him a fortune to play. Tom Cruise earnt 20 million for his last film, I dont see actors or pop stars getting the same grief for the money they earn.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I wholly agree that anything over £10 000 a week seems a little odd to me, however in the context of sport/entertainment wages some tend to overlook, actors, F1 drivers, golfers etc.

I am never sure why, perhaps in our deep darkest sub conscience there is a little bit of us think we might be able to 'do a job' for Man Utd too, if only we were asked to that trial when we were 8 years old.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wholly agree that anything over £10 000 a week seems a little odd to me, however in the context of sport/entertainment wages some tend to overlook, actors, F1 drivers, golfers etc.
True, football isn't the only way to make obscene amounts of money. The difference is that in most other sports (and acting for that matter) they are basically self-employed; they only get paid when they are working, and the money will quickly drop off if they don't stay at the top of their game. Many will also being paying the salaries of their coaching team, physios, managers, etc. Unlike footballers who can sit around for months nursing a dodgy hamstring and still have £100K a week plopping into their bank account.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If my maths is right, Ronaldo will earn my yearly salary in a little over 16 hours.

That calculates to £1,765,000 PA so either you are seriously well paid or your maths is wrong!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
True, football isn't the only way to make obscene amounts of money. The difference is that in most other sports (and acting for that matter) they are basically self-employed; they only get paid when they are working, and the money will quickly drop off if they don't stay at the top of their game. Many will also being paying the salaries of their coaching team, physios, managers, etc. Unlike footballers who can sit around for months nursing a dodgy hamstring and still have £100K a week plopping into their bank account.

I think the sport stars and actors that can command salaries that bring them into the category which the OP mentioned can basically demand whatever they wish within their contracts, the jobbing actors etc you allude to, are the League 1 and below player that really does not get an invite into the glamour part of the game.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It would take Ronaldo 16 minutes to earn my weekly salary.

How incredibly depressing.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
412 years to earn Ronaldo's annual salary...... unbelievable..... it is really crystallized when you see it in that context.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would take Ronaldo 16 minutes to earn my weekly salary.

How incredibly depressing.
It's Clint Dempsey I feel sorry for.
He has to slave away for a whopping 46 minutes to earn my weekly salary.

#prayforclint.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Market forces for you. The wages will continue to go up. The new tv deal for premier league football is rumoured to be increasing from 3 to 4 billion. I'd rather see it distributed more evenly, investments made into lower league and grass root football but it wont happen. It's not the players fault if a club offers him a fortune to play. Tom Cruise earnt 20 million for his last film, I dont see actors or pop stars getting the same grief for the money they earn.

Is it market forces ?

Ultimately actors and rock stars tend to be linked to market forces accepting that the record and film companies burden much of the risk ( and any return ), but football seems to be outside of this as many struggle to turn a profit.

The only market I can see are wealthy owners willing to pay for any associated glory and a desire to gleen some kind of kudos from their investment.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I bet Kemy has earned more per competitive minutes played over the last 2 years than Ronaldo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't have an issue with the world's best earning a fortune. It's the lesser players earning millions I object to. For example CMS is a very very average professional player, he cannot be described as anything else. How on earth is he allowed to earn the dollar he (allegedly) earns?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If my maths is right, Ronaldo will earn my yearly salary in a little over 16 hours.
Sounds about right.

That calculates to £1,765,000 PA so either you are seriously well paid or your maths is wrong!
What? Are you reading the site as saying how long it will take him to earn your yearly salary, when it's actually your weekly salary?

The website also seems to think that Pounds and Euros are about the same value.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
We were discussing this at home the other day, when someone argued that if they are working/performing in the top sporting/entertainment business in the world, which generates so much money, why shouldn't they get rewarded for that?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sounds about right.

What? Are you reading the site as saying how long it will take him to earn your yearly salary, when it's actually your weekly salary?

The website also seems to think that Pounds and Euros are about the same value.

You're right ! Sorry!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here