Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cityclean Industrial Action

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Again......sigh.....next Wednesday I think I heard. Just sack them all, please?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just out of interest, would you be happy taking a pay cut just because some idiotic ruling made your job equal with somebody elses totally unrelated and unsimilar job ?

Oct 25, 2003
heads need to roll at that place...how many times has this happened now in the past couple of years? they seem to be run by complete ****wits

at work we often have our bins uncollected. for some reason we're in a bit of a black spot. not the drivers fault but the fault of whoever creates the routes. we must have put in about 20 complaints in the past year and what should be a fairly simple issue to fix just goes unresolved. awful service

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
heads need to roll at that place...how many times has this happened now in the past couple of years? they seem to be run by complete ****wits

at work we often have our bins uncollected. for some reason we're in a bit of a black spot. not the drivers fault but the fault of whoever creates the routes. we must have put in about 20 complaints in the past year and what should be a fairly simple issue to fix just goes unresolved. awful service

Small but important point - City Clean only collect non-commercial waste so you're probably complaining to the wrong people. Or your company are ripping off the taxpayer.

Last edited:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

I thought the council only (officially) collected residential waste not business/trade waste?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm with the them! If you accept downgrades in Pay, Terms and Conditions and you NEVER get them back. The Council are the ones to blame and the Tories with their 18million in cuts to the city councils budget. It will only get worse with the Tories planning cuts each year upto £60million less per year in 4 years time. These cuts cannot be sustained.

Last edited:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Small but important point - City Clean only collect non-commercial waste so you're probably complaining to the wrong people.

Or not - depending on 'arrangements'...always interesting to see bin lorries and trade vehicles in the same lay-by...those poor drivers have got to supplement somehow...

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I'm with the them! If you accept downgrades in Pay, Terms and Conditions and you NEVER get them back. The Council are the ones to blame and also the Tories for their relentless cuts.

I may be mistaken but think the drivers and their union previously agreed the council's evaluation of their job and are now seeking to renege on this. The changes were made to limit equal pay liabilities not to deliver on cuts.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
I may be mistaken but think the drivers and their union previously agreed the council's evaluation of their job and are now seeking to renege on this. The changes were made to limit equal pay liabilities not to deliver on cuts.

Because the jobs of a binman and a Teaching Assistant are so so similar aren't they ? ..... not !

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Just out of interest, would you be happy taking a pay cut just because some idiotic ruling made your job equal with somebody elses totally unrelated and unsimilar job ?

I believe they agreed the previous changes (and were probably compensated for doing so). From what I have read they are not facing a current proposal to cut their pay but simply want to be paid more for the same work.
We may have previously exchanged comments on equal pay legislation and council liabilities (?) - this matter raises the same issues and risks.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Because the jobs of a binman and a Teaching Assistant are so so similar aren't they ? ..... not !

Well they and their union negotiated and agreed that was the case. I would imagine a fair number of TAs are members of the same union so the union would, presumably, have been very conscious of their obligation to advise each group appropriately and potential liabilities should they fail to do so. Tricky stuff.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Teaching assistant is more skilled?

Maybe, maybe not. My point being that a binman should be paid for being a binman and a TA should be paid for being a TA, hardly rocket science but it would appear to be beyond the public sector.

Camicus

Loving the just a binman! You try driving a bin waggon round Brighton see how unskilled it is. Prehaps try the massive amounts of fitness it takes to be on a bin route the distance the blokes walk is massive for a start.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

That is the current reason......when and if that becomes history there will be a new reason to strike.......has been so for the last 40 years.

Sack them all, get in a private contractor with the proviso of not using ex City clean employees for a minimum of 3 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here