Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT Working at Canary Wharf

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Any body on here work at Canary Wharf? If so do you commute up ?

What's the tube journey like in the morning, do you enjoy working there ?

Commute into the city now from Shoreham but got an interview in CW tomorrow.However I've never been a fan of a) the tube b) Canary Wharf- although I haven't been there in a couple of years and it could have changed.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do. Been there for 10 years on and off, although I do travel a bit and work from home sometimes.

I go in to London Bridge early (leaving Burgess Hill around 6am). Always get a seat that time of day into LB, and Jubilee Line from LB into the Wharf is pretty quiet at that time (7ish). Obviously gets busier later, and after 8 at LB you might have to wait for a tube or two to go through, but they are usually at 1-2 min intervals so not really any drama.

Canary Wharf station isn't too bad in the evenings, usually get on the first train through (I usually leave by 6pm so in peak time). London Bridge has been a bit messy since the platform closures in the evening but I think it'll gradually improve.

Since the Olympics the Jubilee has been pretty reliable too. When it all works the transport is fine. Other bonus is that when the weather is crap most CW offices can be reached without going above ground from mainline train via tube.

Really like the Wharf. Good vibe, loads of decent bars, cafes, shops etc and developing all the time. Bloody busy though.

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011
Canary wharf....you will be better to use the jubilee line or get to bank & use the DLR. Over 100,000 people work there now - good shopping and you can pretty much move around the estate below ground via shopping mall areas (which are extensive) - sorry the commute is a busy one !!

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011
I know this isn't about food but Goodmans steak restaurant near the wharf is one of the best I've visited. There's a good curry house on marsh wall too.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Canary wharf....you will be better to use the jubilee line or get to bank & use the DLR. Over 100,000 people work there now - good shopping and you can pretty much move around the estate below ground via shopping mall areas (which are extensive) - sorry the commute is a busy one !!

DLR a walk from London Bridge station and trains are slower.......taken together probably about double the journey time between LB and CW compared with Jubilee Line.

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011
DLR a walk from London Bridge station and trains are slower.......taken together probably about double the journey time between LB and CW compared with Jubilee Line.

Apologies - wasn't sure if trains from shoreham stop at LB....I work in both when I travel across during the day the DLR is easier from Bank - although appreciate quicker links from LB on jubilee. I travel from Battle and sometimes use the Jubilee line from Waterloo East (less busy pre 8am).

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I don't work there, but I can recommend the coffee stall at West India Quay that works out of the back of a van. It's next to a strange contraption that looks like it must have been a pair of goods winches. The Museum of London Docklands is well worth a visit and there is a very friendly church there, based on a barge moored in the dock. I think they welcome people in for tea and coffee even if they're not attending services.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apologies - wasn't sure if trains from shoreham stop at LB....I work in both when I travel across during the day the DLR is easier from Bank - although appreciate quicker links from LB on jubilee. I travel from Battle and sometimes use the Jubilee line from Waterloo East (less busy pre 8am).

Makes sense......if you're already in the City then DLR is a better option....

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I do. Been there for 10 years on and off, although I do travel a bit and work from home sometimes.

I go in to London Bridge early (leaving Burgess Hill around 6am). Always get a seat that time of day into LB, and Jubilee Line from LB into the Wharf is pretty quiet at that time (7ish). Obviously gets busier later, and after 8 at LB you might have to wait for a tube or two to go through, but they are usually at 1-2 min intervals so not really any drama.

Canary Wharf station isn't too bad in the evenings, usually get on the first train through (I usually leave by 6pm so in peak time). London Bridge has been a bit messy since the platform closures in the evening but I think it'll gradually improve.

Since the Olympics the Jubilee has been pretty reliable too. When it all works the transport is fine. Other bonus is that when the weather is crap most CW offices can be reached without going above ground from mainline train via tube.

Really like the Wharf. Good vibe, loads of decent bars, cafes, shops etc and developing all the time. Bloody busy though.
^^^^ this, I used to be a confirmed 'I'll never work in Canary wharf ,I'm staying in the city man ' I ended up working in Canary wharf and would choose it over the city every time now, it's especially good in the summer.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
The Thames clipper is great, they do a shuttle service from LB to the Wharf. Less crowds, cracking views but a tad more expense. I used to work there, used the clippers for about a year- they were very reliable.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Thanks all, some good advice.I. emailed a couple of ex colleagues tonight that now work at CW and they all said pretty much the same, that they prefer it to the city.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thanks all, some good advice.I. emailed a couple of ex colleagues tonight that now work at CW and they all said pretty much the same, that they prefer it to the city.

I work at on Canada Square, and commute from Durrington - I catch the 6:47 to London Bridge, and has been mentioned a quick trip on the very well served Jubilee line and I can be at my desk by just after 8:30.

Very good.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

I've been in the wharf for 14 years now. Travelling up from burgess hill also. Totally agree with you.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Any body on here work at Canary Wharf? If so do you commute up ?

What's the tube journey like in the morning, do you enjoy working there ?

Commute into the city now from Shoreham but got an interview in CW tomorrow.However I've never been a fan of a) the tube b) Canary Wharf- although I haven't been there in a couple of years and it could have changed.

I did about 6 years there in total, as part of my 25 years commuting Shoreham to London. The tube from LB to CW is always packed at commuter times but it's only 9 minutes. You get some interesting smells packed in like that, but it's not for long.

I loved my time in CW though, everything is pretty new and clean, lots of food outlets for lunch etc., the offices are usually pretty good.

One thing, if there's problems with tubes and DLR, you are rather stuck out there, no easy eay to get back to town and cabs are expensive and take a long time at rush-hour.

Overall, thumbs-up in terms of city working/commuting

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I did about 6 years there in total, as part of my 25 years commuting Shoreham to London. The tube from LB to CW is always packed at commuter times but it's only 9 minutes. You get some interesting smells packed in like that, but it's not for long.

I loved my time in CW though, everything is pretty new and clean, lots of food outlets for lunch etc., the offices are usually pretty good.

One thing, if there's problems with tubes and DLR, you are rather stuck out there, no easy eay to get back to town and cabs are expensive and take a long time at rush-hour.

Overall, thumbs-up in terms of city working/commuting

Can walk to London Bridge in an hour if things are really bad - nice stroll along the river path via St Katherine Docks etc. About 4 miles. Worth bearing in mind for those odd tube chaos days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here