Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interrailing

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Going interrailing around Europe with some friends this summer.

Any advice or recommendations of places to visit/ do's and don'ts?

Places we're likely to go are Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, possibly Hungary and then coming back through Germany.

Clearly some countries are more expensive than others so any advice on cheaper towns/ cities and good places to visit?

sneakychef

Oct 28, 2004
Stroud Green
When you get East enough to come across Becherovka DO NOT drink it.

Same goes for Unicum which is insanely popular in Hungary - or at least insanely popular for something that is pretty much technically an emetic.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
If you are going to Croatia, Split is a fantastic place, plus you can head out to one of the islands.

The old town of Split is basically an old Roman palace.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Can recommend Bruges, Dubrovnik, Budapest, Munich, Berlin, Bremen, Hamburg. Bremen is a smaller town / city and great for sights and a nice row of beer gardens along ariver. Lovely place. Munich is also brilliant and not too expensive.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Dont do what ax ex colleague of mine did; he bought a 1 month "go anywhere in Europe" train ticket with the intention of seeing loads of stuff. First stop was Amsterdam where he fell in with some americans and his plan changed to "blow it all on beer, cannabis & hookers".

Be careful if you use coin-operated left luggage lockers. There are lots of ways to break into them. I once lost ALL my luggage (apart from what I could carry in a camera bag - which fortunately included a wallet and a passport) at Prague railway station. The local police weren't at all helpful. All they did was blame "gypsies".

But it's a great way to travel.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Going interrailing around Europe with some friends this summer.

Any advice or recommendations of places to visit/ do's and don'ts?

Places we're likely to go are Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, possibly Hungary and then coming back through Germany.

Clearly some countries are more expensive than others so any advice on cheaper towns/ cities and good places to visit?

Definitely go to Hungary. Really cheap beer, well cheap everything. 52p pints and bottles of well known spirits like Finlandia for about a fiver. Depending on when you are there you should check out VOLT festival which is in Sopron on the Austrian border. It is a big 4 day festival and at the moment it is 89euros for the four days. Last year Arctic Monkeys and Foals et al played there

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Its great this still going, i did it in 1984 or 85. Just keep moving. Have a plan but be relaxed on changing

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
DB the German railway network has good trains from Berlin to Budapest , stop of at Brno in Czech Republic , very cheap between .80p - £1.20 a pint of good quality Pilsner . Food and cigs cheap too . If you're going in the summer I would advise to book a seat in 1st class , if not a seat in second , the amount of times I had to clamber over sleeping back packers in the corridors with a suit case was unbelievable. Middle of the day shouldn't be such a problem though !

If you order the tickets try : http://www.cd.cz/en/default.htm for booking the Czech sections as it will be a lot cheaper if you decide to go that way , and you can print the tickets in advance.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I have had great fun travelling around Europe by train there is so much opportunity - have a general route planned ie travel east via north Europe back via the Alps, pick out particular places you really want to visit etc but just use it as a guide for working out a basic schedule and then have flexibility around the detail. Also worth thinking about using the trains as a mobile hotel to save time and money.

What to do specifically depends on want you really want is it just a city hop or do you want to get out into the countryside or is it about the train routes themselves some of them are spectacular - following the Rhine river (some great village stop offs) crossing the Alps from Switzerland into Italy (amazing in the winter snow), the rail ferry to Denmark, almost all of the Swiss railways are spectacular.

One bit of advice travel as light as possible only take what you really need, nothing worse than carry a huge pack when its hot crowded and you can't be bothered you can always wash you clothes and enjoy it.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I did a 10 day one back in september which you have to be pretty rigid with if youre to see all you want. With a month you can be that extra bit flexible but have a route in mind.

I caught ferry across to dieppe and trained from there to Paris(stopped in Paris for breakfast) Got the high speed train to switzerland and stayed the night at the international scout campsite in Kandersteg.
Then went to Stuttgart where we met up with a scouty friend and stayed with her for 2 nights. Went to oktoberfest and also saw Stuttgart fc play (atmosphere was amazing)
went from Stuttgart to Amsterdam where we stayed for the most of a day before travelling to bruges. Spent a few days there as Bruges is lovely. not cheap but really enjoyed it. We stayed in Charlie rockets hostel which was very friendly. has a pub below and a restuarant to the side. its also fairly central.
Finished off by going back to Paris for the next day and finally ferried back to Blighty. all in cost me around £750 and i will be doing the longer version with the kids in a few summer holidays time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here