Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speeding tickets

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I got my very first speeding fine in 30 years of driving a while ago - probably not a surprise, it's quite easy in my SLK. I took the 3 points etc. , no argument from me, no problem.

It occurred to me the other day that I think it's now 3 years since that and I think the 3 points stay on your license for 3 years, so my question is, if I'm right, do they notify you that your term is up and license clean again ? How does it work.

30 years, 1 speeding charge and 1 parking ticket, not doing too badly !

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Were you not offered to attend a speed awareness course, costs more but no points?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I got my very first speeding fine in 30 years of driving a while ago - probably not a surprise, it's quite easy in my SLK. I took the 3 points etc. , no argument from me, no problem.

It occurred to me the other day that I think it's now 3 years since that and I think the 3 points stay on your license for 3 years, so my question is, if I'm right, do they notify you that your term is up and license clean again ? How does it work.

30 years, 1 speeding charge and 1 parking ticket, not doing too badly !

Four years. Sorry.

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/how-long-endorsements-stay-on-your-driving-licence

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You have to send your old paper licence to DVLA - they don't remind you. Long time since I had to but I suspect there is a form and a fee. It'll be on their website.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You have to apply to have them removed and it will cost you £20 but as TLO says, you can only do this after 4 years.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I thought they go off your licence after 3 years, but they stay on your file for another 3 years after as like a ghost 3 points, so if the police were to look at your record for say an accident or whatever then they would be able to see that you had them ??? I might be totally wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You have to apply to have them removed and it will cost you £20 but as TLO says, you can only do this after 4 years.

I don't understand the point of that (not that I'm saying you're wrong btw). Shirley the date of the offence is printed on the licence. So once the 4 years are up, why do you have to send the form back to them to have it removed, when you can SEE by the date that they've expired ??

Am I missing something, or is it just another moneymaking scam

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Spent after 3 years removable after 4 years.

Don’t bother paying anything just to have the written points taken off the paper part of your licence it’s not worth it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You have to send your old paper licence to DVLA - they don't remind you. Long time since I had to but I suspect there is a form and a fee. It'll be on their website.

I have a few very old endorsements on my paper licence. Never bothered to get a new licence and it poses absolutely no problems when hiring cars, either here or abroad. Just leave them on there would be my advice, why pay to have them removed, you have already paid the fine!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't understand the point of that (not that I'm saying you're wrong btw). Shirley the date of the offence is printed on the licence. So once the 4 years are up, why do you have to send the form back to them to have it removed, when you can SEE by the date that they've expired ??

Quite - I've still got my last SP60 on my licence and that was in March 1989.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
On a related note, I've been meaning to renew my photo card since we moved 12 years ago but never got round to it.
In theory I know this renders me liable to a fine if stopped by the forces of the law but it's never caused a problem. I did go to the post office once but they didn't have a form so never did it and my paper licence has my current address should I ever need to "produce"

Another DVLA "earner"

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003

For some bizarre reason some people actually like to SEE that their licence is clean - why I have no idea.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
On a related note, I've been meaning to renew my photo card since we moved 12 years ago but never got round to it.
In theory I know this renders me liable to a fine if stopped by the forces of the law but it's never caused a problem. I did go to the post office once but they didn't have a form so never did it and my paper licence has my current address should I ever need to "produce"

Another DVLA "earner"

Agree with the earner bit but if you've applied for a passport over the last few years then you can renew your photocard online as they will use the photo from your passport.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12

Another DVLA "earner"

You need to renew your photo every ten years anyway, so evenif you had done it 12 years ago, it would be due again now. As others have said, if your passport is less than 5 years old yo can use that photo if you apply online. Still costs a bit, but not as much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here