Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taiwanese plane crash, don't open if you are a nervous flyer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bloody terrifying

[video]http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/feb/04/transasia-plane-crash-lands-in-taiwan-river-rolling-coverage[/video]

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They are so lucky (apart from a few) that it crashed in the river

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Saw this earlier. Amazed there were so many survivors. I try not to think about vulnerability when I get on a plane.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Holy Crap!

I lived in Taipei for nearly three years and regularly got on internal flights for football tournaments and island tours. They are not exactly maintained and flown to CAA standards. In fact, they were often described by many of my team mates in the ex pat football clubs as "****ing death traps" and many were engineers with Taiwanese girlfriend / wives. There's a history of these things crashing. Last year the same airline lost a plane and most of its passengers landing. There was another internal flight that crashed while I was out there and our team were not allowed to use China Air flights to get to HK to get home due to their safety record. At Hualien meanwhile the runway goes from sea to mountains end to end. There was a story, not sure if apocrophyl, of a pilot who took off the wrong way straight in to the mountain.

I'd missed this though. I still have a load of friends out there. My friend Dave has just put on his FB

"Damn....a plane just crashed in the river behind our apartment!"

From the Guardian coverage that looks pretty close to where I lived. Lucky, lucky cabbie too, though they crash so often out there I think they must be made of the same material as a tank.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It's a worrying statistic living in Asia, I regularly take flights in the region and the only way I can deal with flying now is getting absolutely trashed!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not sure about nervous flyer, but anyone on that bridge is probably now a nervous driver.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Not sure about nervous flyer, but anyone on that bridge is probably now a nervous driver.

True, will be an interesting insurance claim from the taxi driver.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
If you look at flight tracking data, combined with reports of the pilots contact with air traffic control, there are a couple of factors in okay here.

1. Their rate of climb almost immediately after take off was 2,000 ft/min, which is above the recommended climb rate for that aircraft type of 1355ft/min

2. You can see the speed dropping almost as soon as they took off. This could be either, or a combination of the climb rate and an engineer flame out.

3. The rate of climb was never lowered after engine flameout, or from when the speed started to decrease, this would have contributed to a stall as the plane wouldn't have been able to generate as much lift as it would have at its usual speed with both engines / lower climb rate. Difficult to judge this one without seeing the black box data, seeing how the flaps had been deployed.

Seems horrific. At that altitude there was never enough time for the pilots to arrest the stall, and probably not enough time to react and lower the climb rate to avoid the stall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here