Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I know Fergie was good but...

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
....in the last cuppla days I've read that Man U have sold back Zahaha to Palarse for a pittance and now Anderson has gone free after costing 26mill. I've not kept up with other transfer failings at MU but we are talking fortunes here!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
True but for every Anderson there were several more Van Persies, Vidics and Schmeichels.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
All covered by sale and profit on Ronaldo.

He didn't buy players with a view to selling them, he bought them to win trophies with.

13 League titles
5 FA Cups
4 League Cups
11 Charity/Community Shields
2 European Cups
Plus CWC, World Club Cup, Intercontinental Cup, Super Cup
4 Doubles
1 Treble

Think he did ok really.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think at the very least it's fair to say that he got more right than he got wrong...........

£1 million (I think) for Cantona wasn't a bad punt.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
He didn't buy players with a view to selling them, he bought them to win trophies with.

13 League titles
5 FA Cups
4 League Cups
2 European Cups
4 Doubles
1 Treble

Think he did ok really.

Think he did well discovering Nevilles, Beckham, Butt, Scholes and Giggs when he did.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the point was more about his ability to sniff players out in general than money from one sale BG.

I read it as the money he wasted on Zaha and Anderson etc and as I said balanced by the profit on Ronaldo. Like all managers he has had good signings some not so good and some awful he was no immune from that.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Jordi,William Prunier,David Bellion,Liam Miller,Gabriel Obertan,Bebe ,Dong Fanhuo and Ralph Milne some shockers there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Diego Forlan ,63 games 10 goals.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

13 League titles
5 FA Cups
4 League Cups
2 European Cups
4 Doubles
1 Treble

Think he did ok really.

Absolutely this, bit of a silly thread IMO, every manager buys 'duds' even Fergie. I remember Clough bought a few as well........ name me a manager that hasn't.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
True Veron was a howler but I raise you Denis Irwin. Bought for a mere £625,000, spent 12 years at the club.

Man United fan as a kid who later on turned into a Brighton fan I assume?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the real story is how he left the squad threadbare in his last years. handful of players of note carrying a lot of players who weren't good enough for the top of the league.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Like all managers, some howlers, some bargains, some inbetweens. £18m De Gea seems a bargain now, he'll go to Madrid for big bucks you'd think. The bloke above who says Vidic was world famous is having a laugh surely, him and Evra were complete unknowns.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here