Votes: 11 13.9%
  • I have neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
With mobile phones now so obviously the main method of contact these days, it got me wondering whether or not the majority of people still have landlines.

We hope to move house this year, and I think we have made the decision to bin our landline.

Have YOU still got your landline?

Poll to follow...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We are moving too and I want to bin the landline but haven't weighed up the cost yet, rarely use data on mobile so assume I'll need to upgrade package significantly

More importantly I can't get my head round what I might lose by not having landline/broadband

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
With most broadband providers you'll have to pay a line rental to get a physical broadband service. There are some exceptions - we're about to get Gigaclear in our village and that will be fibre too house and no phone needed - we'll probably take an IP phone service.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I pay for the Virgin Media bundle which includes the line-rental charges.

The phone has never been plugged in though and only use the mobile.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I pay for the Virgin Media bundle which includes the line-rental charges.

The phone has never been plugged in though and only use the mobile.
You don't need a landline for Virgin if you only want tv and Broadband.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Got both but I need the landline so I can get fibre broadband for free as a perk of working for BT.
I never give out the landline number though, I either give my mobile number or a SIP number which goes straight to voicemail.

Anyone who's thinking of ditching it and going for mobile only, get a PAYG sim and try mobile data for a month before you do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We have a landline but only for the interbob broadband. I never use it - in fact I never even get up and answer it any more because 99% of the time it'll be about PP bloody I or whether I've had an accident in the last 5 years. So I just let it ring.

Anyone who I'm bothered about talking with has my mobile.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Utterly pointless IMHO.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We've got a land line but that is mainly because we need one for our broadband. When I lived in Brighton I got rid of my land line as I didn't need one with Virgin's Fibre Broadband at the time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
to summerise the poll, if you have broadband (ie just about everyone who's going to be on NSC), you need a landline. you still need the connection and we dont have naked DSL as they call it. those with Virgin are still paying for the connection in some way btw. only way to avoid landline is to go 3G/4G but the cost of all you can eat with tethering contract, if they still exist, are £35+ iirc (though you probably get a phone in there).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
only way to avoid landline is to go 3G/4G but the cost of all you can eat with tethering contract, if they still exist, are £35+ iirc (though you probably get a phone in there).

That's the way I was thinking of going and if it's £35 then it sounds like a good deal to me.

Prob is I don't think 3G is fast enough for some of the chunkier stuff and no 4G where I am

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Still have landline, but only because its part of the TV/Broadband package. There are only two people who ring it... father-in-law and mother-in-law... but otherwise unused.

Occasionally I contemplate attaching a fax machine to the line to force them into the 80's and at least vaguely towards the 21st century!

At my old flat, I did ditch broadband (and the phone) for a while and had all-you-can-eat, sim-only contract with 3 instead. Good enough for basic surfing, but not really a suitable alternative to a decent broadband unless you have 4G coverage.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
For a while I had a nice neighbour who I bought a bottle of wine each month on return for the Wi-Fi password. Sadly new neighbours are all very anti such arrangements so I now have my own broadband.
I think most of us see having a landline as one of those annoying "hidden" costs like when budget airlines wouldn't include taxes in headline amount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here