Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The British Open

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I thought that was on the protected list?

Ah well, another great summer sporting event whored off and therefore immediately relegated from being the great national event it once was (see test cricket).

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Sky probably paid zillions which the Beeb simply do not have.

Additionally, a chance to save money on tw@tty dance and glitter dross along with baking cakes might have given them a shout. Would not go down well with the masses I suspect.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, you're probably right.

Should have been on the protected list though.

gutted, don't watch a lot of golf but always love watching the open every year and seeing the competition develop, especially recently when you get the early rounds on red button. Golf shooting itself in the foot after aiming to attract a wider audience through the Olympics now takes one of its biggest showcases off free to air. Same when Sky got all the test matches, sad days.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Oh no. There is nothing finer than 12 hours uninterrupted coverage.
I do hope that Sky will have sacked Murray, Oosterhuis, that American twit who used to coach Tiger and that arsehead Livingstone by then. I do not want to listen to their dreadful sycophantic ramblings all day. Let's hope the BBC stream live radio coverage overseas.
A sad day.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Bloody appalling, I have Sky Sports so I guess it won't make any difference to me. But IMO any sporting event that in real or by association represent this country should be aired on BBC, which we are all required to subscribe to. Sport has no right to steal our national identity.
But if any increase is used by R&A to raise the already ridiculous prize money as I suspect it will....then shame on them. Well shame on them anyway, I guess...... pass the port Carruthers!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To be shown exclusively on Sky from 2017

Shame on you BBC.

Do you support an increase in the licence fee ? It's been flat for 5 years and now includes the entire budget of the world service and even pays for projects such as (commercial) local TV and rolling out broadband. Sports rights are more expensive than ever.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Remember, the BBC have just spent loads on getting the FA Cup back - which I assume gets much higher viewing figures than golf - and also due to their budget cuts, they wouldnt have stumped up the cash like Sky. Also think BBC will be making an attempt to bring England games back too, which would be fantastic as it would leave ITV with no football to broadcast since the Champions League is moving to BT and Sky.

Sky would probably give a whole channel of pure golf coverage for the week anyway, they are doing that with the upcoming Cricket and did it last week in the run up to the Superbowl. For those who have Sky (and actually like Golf and dont thing its boring as hell) then its not bad, but for those who havent got Sky, its a disaster.

Be thankful ITV didnt get it - they love crap coverage.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Top level sport on terrestrial tv does seem to be dying off in favour of Sky/BT, which is incredibly sad.

I'm waiting for them to stop coverage of the Winter Olympics and Wimbledon, definitely the next two to go...

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
The Open Championship is going to Sky too:thumbsup:

It is the one sporting event BBC do pretty well actually giving it some decent airtime but Sky's coverage and commentators are different class. The adverts drive me mad but can live with it.

I'm going all week this year at St Andrews so wont have to put up with Peter Alliss et al:lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The BBC will carry on making costume dramas and selling them to just about every country in the world and making a packet and then give you Strictly Come Dancing and maybe another programme about dinosaurs. Sky will take all the major sporting events so nothing new here but if you think the BBC had there chances years ago with a proper sports channel then they have only themselves to blame.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The BBC will carry on making costume dramas and selling them to just about every country in the world and making a packet and Sky will take all the major sporting events. Nothing new.

The BBC has just renewed the MOTD contract , and still has 6 nations, Wimbledon, Olympics, World Cup, fa cup, euros etc so not just Wolf Hall and the like but agreed sports rights are expensive and sky/by/Al jazeera (ie:Bein) /ITV all competing means they are increasing exponentially...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The BBC has just renewed the MOTD contract , and still has 6 nations, Wimbledon, Olympics, World Cup, fa cup, euros etc so not just Wolf Hall and the like but agreed sports rights are expensive and sky/by/Al jazeera (ie:Bein) /ITV all competing means they are increasing exponentially...

If it was a straight fight I think the BBC might struggle with the Olympics, Wimbledon and maybe a few others. At the end of the day though I'm not that bothered who shows what........ I accepted years ago that if you want to watch it all you have to pay extra.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here