Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colin Calderwood appointed as Hughton's assistant

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/brighton-hove-albion-appoint-colin-calderwood-2245896.aspx

Brighton & Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton has appointed former Scottish international Colin Calderwood as his assistant manager - and confirmed his first-team backroom team.

Calderwood was assistant to Hughton at Newcastle United, Birmingham City and Norwich City, having previously been in charge of Northampton Town and Nottingham Forest; he also managed Hibernian between spells at Newcastle and Birmingham.

The 50-year-old Scot played more than 600 league matches for Mansfield Town, Swindon Town, Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa, Forest and Notts County - and won 36 international caps - during a 20-year playing career.

Meanwhile Hughton has confirmed that Nathan Jones (first-team coach) Antti Niemi (goalkeeping coach), Joaquin Gomez (coach), Adam Brett (head of medical services) and Tom Barnden (fitness coach) complete the first-team coaching and backroom set-up.

He said, "It was always my intention to bring somebody in to work alongside myself and Nathan. What I wanted to do is give myself some time to get to know the staff here: not only the coaching staff but also the backroom team, before finalising that decision.

"I'm delighted Colin is coming in. He is someone I have worked with before, and I know him well, and we wanted to bring someone in of Colin's experience.

"I know that he will work well with the existing coaching staff at the club and I think he'll be a very good addition to the coaching team."

Calderwood begins work with Albion this week, and his first game alongside Hughton in the Albion dugout will be against former club Nottingham Forest at the Amex this Saturday.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very interesting and a good solid appointment i reckon

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
As long as Nathan Jones and his enthusiasm for the Club has a big involvement between the two of them then okay, would have preferred Nathan to be assistant to be honest.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Happy with that.

Calderwood has a good track record. The important bit for me is that Chris Hughton has appointed his assistant manager, and confirmed his backroom team. Taking charge properly.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For absolutely no reason at all, I'm pleased the club have retained Antti Niemi as goalkeeping coach.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Might add some much needed fighting spirit into the squad. We really need to stop conceding sloppy goals at home its costing us far to many points.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Calderwood has got a vast amount of experience and Jones still involved in the first team. Happy with this.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We've tried left field appointments, now it seems we're going for tried and tested. They know what is required, I hope they get the support needed.

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
Good appointment...International-level defender.. first brief to have a word with our backline...keep it tight in the first few minutes (eh Mr Dunk Vs Theo Walcott) and keep goal-side of the attacking player (eh, Mr Greer)...you know, defending basics!!!....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here