Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The new FFP allowance and the future

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So January was a frugal transfer window.

If I'm understanding the new FFP regs correctly, we now have a £39m allowable loss over 3 years (3x13.) Given that the financial year just gone is likely to end with break even/surplus and we've not spent money this January. We have now built a significant pot that we have a real go at promotion in 2015/16 and 2016/17, yet stay within the allowable bounds of FFP.

Do we think this is likely to happen or do we think that Bloom is committed to waiting for the academy to bear fruit?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
E

If I'm understanding the new FFP regs correctly, we now have a £39m allowable loss over 3 years (3x13.) Given that the financial year just gone is likely to end with break even/surplus and we've not spent money this January. We have now built a significant pot that we have a real go at promotion in 2015/16 and 2016/17, yet stay within the allowable bounds of FFP.

Do we think this is likely to happen or do we think that Bloom is committed to waiting for the academy to bear fruit?

Would that not assume we are happy to go into loss/debt to do it ? If we're now on a more financially stable position, they might want to keep it that way.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011

Would you spunk £20 million pound of your own money after already spending £150 million+ ?????

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

The new FFP rules start next season, not this. 6m allowable loss this season.

As for pots and how much will be in them, it really is up to TB to decide that. He was not happy to vote for the new FFP rules, so he may not be happy to invest another 13m a year for 3 years. But that is up to him, in the end.

A frugal transfer window - yes, I can see that. But if what TB has said before is true in that the current squad in the most expensive in history (in terms of wages), then our bolt was pretty much shot in the summer. Having said that, there was apparently a lot of activity at the club last night, in complete contrast to last Jan window, so there must still be some kitty left.

We have to wiser with what money we have - I am sure CH will help in that regard. We have some large contracts coming to their end in the summer, so that will also help. But no, I don't think we are waiting for the academy as such, we just need to build a decent squad spending wisely, rather like Derby and Ipswich.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think we'll have a real go next season as the 1901 memberships are up for renewal at the end of the season. The ideal scenario would be if we are looking good for automatic promotion and they can hike the prices up (40% minimum I'd guess)

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Would you spunk £20 million pound of your own money after already spending £150 million+ ?????

Its a bit like playing a fruit machine. If I had already put £15 in one and putting another £2 would give me a good chance of hitting the jackpot, I would say yes I probably would.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Its a bit like playing a fruit machine. If I had already put £15 in one and putting another £2 would give me a good chance of hitting the jackpot, I would say yes I probably would.

How much money have you got in your pocket?

Pop to the arcade at lunch, pop £20 in the machine, collect any winnings. Let me know how much you make!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What jackpot? TB is hardly likely to recover his money, let alone turn it into a profit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we'll have a real go next season as the 1901 memberships are up for renewal at the end of the season. The ideal scenario would be if we are looking good for automatic promotion and they can hike the prices up (40% minimum I'd guess)
Very good point. Let's hope it is not promotion TO the Championship we are aiming for.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What jackpot? TB is hardly likely to recover his money, let alone turn it into a profit.

This is all true. But is Bloom solely motivated by financial concerns? Or are his finances so healthy that he can afford to play around with a portion of it, and romanticise a little. Wouldn't Bloom conceive of B&HA's return to the top flight as something akin to hitting the jackpot?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
How much money have you got in your pocket?

Pop to the arcade at lunch, pop £20 in the machine, collect any winnings. Let me know how much you make!

I would but i made the bad choice of giving my money to a couple of complete idiots called Sam and Dave and they blew it all in a tupenny nudger....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Might as well not bother with FFP if this is the case. How is allowing clubs to go 39m in debt supposed to be saving the game? Very disappointed with this development.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Given our respective incomes and savings, I reckon this is like asking me if I'd go down the local and spend £15, the day after going on a £100 drinking binge.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Looks to me like we're playing the long game. There will be signings but in the future we're going to be using players developed at our academy. It's a brilliant way to run the club, but it does rely on producing youth players of sufficient quality and keeping the fan base on side whilst you attempt it. A balancing act, with lower season ticket renewals and league position the cost of failure.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The 'three year rule' of a maximum £39M loss does not come into force until the 2016/2017 season - next season will be a fixed maximum loss of £13M, (compared to £6M this season).

The other significant aspect of the new FFP rules, which seem to have been largely ignored, is the position of those clubs relegated from the Premier League. A club which has been in the PL for two years or more will have allowable losses of £83M during their first three years back in the Championship - a club that has only been in the P for a single year will have permitted losses of £61M over the same period. Discussions are also ongoing regarding parachute payments which may be paid over three years rather than four possibly meaning larger payments for each of those years.

Looking at those changes I find it very difficult to reconcile statements that the changes will help clubs compete with those receiving parachute payments - quite the opposite.

Add to all that the increase in the proportion of any debt that can be funded by way of loans rather than equity purchase and I think it is fair to say that FFP is dead.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/ne...hip-financial-fair-play-rules-rg-2066799.aspx

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is all true. But is Bloom solely motivated by financial concerns? Or are his finances so healthy that he can afford to play around with a portion of it, and romanticise a little. Wouldn't Bloom conceive of B&HA's return to the top flight as something akin to hitting the jackpot?

True, I agree TB's goal is the PL, and yes, I accept he's not going to suddenly asked for his £100 million plus back - but how long and how much will he be willing to pour into a seemingly bottomless pit of annual losses?

Premier league football! What is that current £90m per season?

I don't know if it's £90 million or not, but yes, it would certainly be good financially to get to the PL, even if we had to bounce a few times - parachute payments would be good too. But the expenses (player wages, and transfer fees needed to be paid) would also be much higher. I would be interested to know how many clubs in the PL (other than Arsenal) aren't making an annual loss, and/or don't have debts up to their eyeballs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think we should read too much in to a quiet transfer window, given our postion i doubt we'd attract much of quality. better to save the cash and use a couple of loans to fill gaps, waiting for the summer to make a proper use of budget.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

It also means the central blocks can be cleared of fans to make way for the corporates by jacking up the prices even more to make supporters move out to the fringes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here