Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The moon ...

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
That wet weather will possibly be snow,none the less looks great with stars also in a misty haze

≡ MENU
Ring Around the Moon
by FRASER CAIN on OCTOBER 30, 2008

Ring around the Moon from Costa Rica. Image credit: Bruce Thomson

Have you ever noticed that there can sometimes be a ring around the Moon. In fact, if you look closely, it even looks a bit like a rainbow circling around the Moon. What’s going on with the Moon and the atmosphere to cause this Moon ring?
The ring around the Moon is caused by the refraction of Moonlight (which is really sunlight) through ice crystals suspended in the upper atmosphere. These ice crystals always have a hexagonal shape, so they always refract light at the same angle. Of course, the atmosphere is filled with crystals, all refracting moonlight off in different directions. But at any moment, a huge number happen to be in just the right position to be refracting light towards your eyes. You just aren’t in a position to see all the other refracted light. This is what causes the Moon ring.

We see a rainbow because the different colors are refracted at slightly different angles. This is exactly what happens with a rainbow. The moonlight is broken up into its separate colors because they all refract at different angles, and so you see the colors split up like a rainbow.

A moon ring or moon halo will always be roughly the same size – 22-degrees across the sky. The full moon is half a degree, so the ring around the Moon will encompass an area 44 times bigger than the Moon. This is because the crystals bend the light at a 22-degree angle from their original path.

This is the same principle of why we can sometimes see a ring around the Sun.

This site has a great description of why we see the 22-degree halo.

You can listen to a very interesting podcast about the formation of the Moon from Astronomy Cast, Episode 17: Where Did the Moon Come From?

About Fraser Cain
Fraser Cain is the publisher of Universe Today. He's also the co-host of Astronomy Cast with Dr. Pamela Gay.
Share this:
EmailPrintFacebook3K+Twitter101
@fcain

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
From a friend...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422910537675.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422910537675.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,379

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Mind blowing stuff that we went there. Or did we?

Indeed, Mr. Paper.

Not only was the landing all filmed here in Hawaii (on top of our 12,000-foot volcanic peak, Mauna Kea) but, as it happens and I'm sure you realize, the moon itself is hollow, per that nice Mr. Icke (and as any fule kno).

The appearance of a lunar ring has to do with the impending arrival of the Nephalim. Be very afraid.

I would expound further but I'm late for my drop-box rendezvous with Agent Hybrid (mum's the word, eh).

Lol and luv, huns.
xxx

:moo:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He's a vanilla rapist, get him away from my kids.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It just looked a bit fuzzy when I looked at it.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Inspired me. Ended up being one of the most difficult photos I've ever taken.

Screaming baby with me
Too big for my lens (24mm) needed a fish eye
Had to make it from 6 shots!

Almost worth it in the end!

moon_small_xs.jpg

Attachments

• moon_small.jpg
    moon_small.jpg
    900.3 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Just walked out my front door in hove, it looked amazing! I'd have missed both this and charlatans tickets if if wasn't for NSC... Thanks all ��

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here