Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Francis Maude to stand down at the election. Why?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
In a letter to the Horsham Conservative Association, he said: "I was first elected to the House of Commons in 1983 just before I was 30, and will be nearly 67 by the time of the election in 2020.

Seems reasonable to me,

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-31082819

I just don't believe that it is to give someone else a chance. He must take the electorate for idiots. Any other cynics not buy it?

Eh? He's 62, he's been a politician for over 30 years, he's wealthy and can look forward to some very lucrative non-executive directorships. I think you're trying very, very hard to smear him here.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
In a letter to the Horsham Conservative Association, he said: "I was first elected to the House of Commons in 1983 just before I was 30, and will be nearly 67 by the time of the election in 2020.

Seems reasonable to me,

Yep, seems fair enough to me - I think the OP may be looking for something that doesn't exist in this one.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Yep, seems fair enough to me - I think the OP may be looking for something that doesn't exist in this one.

fair enough

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
As I recall he is fairly high up in JP Morgan, often see him advertised on the afte dinner talks circuit.

Cant imagine he he will be too poor, so why not retire (67is around standard age) and enjoy his latter years

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Seems reasonable to me,

Nothing sinister inferred. \just think he might feel threatened and was quitting before possible defeat

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
I think he's been signed by Brussels for one last pay bonanza. Won't even have to turn up.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
They're not very impressed on here:

http://www.conservativehome.com/par...uncing-his-decision-to-leave-the-commons.html

Mind you, this site does tend to be frequented by the, how shall we say it, the more Conservatively-inclined Conservative supporter. Mostly they seem fed up that it gives CCHQ the chance to parachute in some on-message Cameroon, rather than someone with their own thoughts, who might be a pain to the leadership. Reading the letter, I must say I'd forgotten about Brad Watson. I thought he was long gone. He was a leading light in Sussex local government when I'd only just left school.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
Apparently signed up on youth terms at the Lancing academy - I think he might have elaborated his age and his varicose veins a bit - still as they say, the milk always rises above the cream.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here