Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kraftwerk - More influential than the Beatles?

More influential than The Beatles?

• Ja

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • Nein

Votes: 118 76.1%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Paul Morley completely ruined what should have been a decent documentary by spouting his usual bollox. There was far too much of Morley.

To compound matters, the narrator sounded like William Hague

Last edited:

Quinny

Banned
Jul 27, 2014
Kraftwerk were a massive influence to the Detroit guys who started Techno music

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think so, yes

I agree. My argument has always been based on the idea you can easily trace the popularisation/foundations of hip-hop and rap back to samples of Trans Europe Express and Numbers. And this popularisation is key, as rap and hip-hop culture then, at various levels one way or another, permeated vast swathes of the world with its culture, language, imagery, clothing, attitude as well as the music. See a kid in Crawley acting gangsta, blame Kraftwerk. I'm not convinced The Beatles have reached out this far.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kraftwerk were a massive influence to the Detroit guys who started Techno music

True. Derrick May talks a lot about this in the BBC doc.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I agree. My argument has always been based on the idea you can easily trace the popularisation/foundations of hip-hop and rap back to samples of Trans Europe Express and Numbers. And this popularisation is key, as rap and hip-hop culture then, at various levels one way or another, permeated the vast swathes of the world with its culture, language, imagery, clothing, attitude as well as the music. See a kid in Crawley acting gangsta, blame Kraftwerk.

Yep. And blame raves on Kraftwerk.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I watched that documentary on a the screen in my hospital bed on an I.V. drip with various machines around the ward with lights flashing and making random beeps. Under such circumstances Kraftwerk get the nod.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I watched that documentary on a the screen in my hospital bed on an I.V. drip with various machines around the ward with lights flashing and making random beeps. Under such circumstances Kraftwerk get the nod.

:thumbsup:

Get well soon.

Quinny

Banned
Jul 27, 2014
Planet Rock one of Hip Hops earliest classics sampled Trans Europe Express so yes they definitely had a hand in hip Hop culture

Hip Hop and Techno major influences, amazing that 4 guys from Stuttgart have that accolade

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Beatles were imitating American acts, Kraftwerk were doing something new.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
No, of course Kraftwerk weren't more influential than the Beatles -bl00dy good band though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here